turbo for ~200ft-lbs from ~2000rpm-5500rpm - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
turbo for ~200ft-lbs from ~2000rpm-5500rpm
Friday, September 19, 2008 5:31 AM
As the title states - what would be a good choice of turbocharger for a stock eco to make about 200ftlbs down low to about 5500rpm? Would the borg warner K04 from the LNF work well for this application (since thats basically what it does on the LNF)?

I know its unrealistic to expect high rpm power from a smallish turbo and stock eco bottom/top end. Basically im just looking for instant spool when the pedal is mashed and enough flow for ~200wtq.

Other options may be a GT28rs, albeit more expensive., or a SAAB kit. Thoughts?

Re: turbo for ~200ft-lbs from ~2000rpm-5500rpm
Friday, September 19, 2008 6:57 AM
I'd go Saab kit and an electronic boost controller. reason being Saab KIT..everything you need is there except the controller, unless you buy the one that was in the classifieds (not sure if it's still there) but i believe that one came with a controller of some sort. Possibly manual.

Personaly i'm a BW fan ever since i was introduced to them then drove them compairing them to garrett's and the likes. If you could find an S200 (same one i have) you could order the smaller exhaust housing from bullseyepower to give you better low end response.

Friday, September 19, 2008 7:08 AM
I agree.....saab kit is the way to go for what you want.

And the one in the classifieds for $1700 is a steal.

Friday, September 19, 2008 8:54 AM
Yup, i've got the Saab kit, and on 6psi i put down 186hp and 212 torque, with a small boost leak. Boost is Instant. lol. I mean you could come onto it at like 1800rpm and it'l go to full boost by 2000.

2003 White Cavalier LS Sport Coupe
Friday, September 19, 2008 10:22 AM
Stitch wrote:Yup, i've got the Saab kit, and on 6psi i put down 186hp and 212 torque, with a small boost leak. Boost is Instant. lol. I mean you could come onto it at like 1800rpm and it'l go to full boost by 2000.

Wow, those numbers are at the crank right?

Yea that is the response I'm looking for. Although there is always lag on the tip in from part throttle to WOT, that kind of response makes tuning more like a s/c application - easier!

Friday, September 19, 2008 11:34 AM
Nope, those are at the wheels. and the Boost is there pretty much the second you push the pedal to the floor. lol. you wouldn't belive it unless ya seen it. I'm not running a manual boost controller and am pushing 9psi. I'm gonna try to get on a dyno next week sometime and see what i put down.

Friday, September 19, 2008 11:39 AM
yeah, the small snail of the SAAB turbos allows for almost intant spool, and very peppy low end responce.

Excellent for an off the line jumper, and DD

Wednesday, September 24, 2008 7:12 AM
So with an effecient intercooler, what would be the maximum output from the saab setup, and at about what pressure would you see that max output. For reference, the BW K04 is good for ~325whp on the LNF at ~25 psi, and torque is massive down low.

It sounds like the saab kit running ~10psi is the cure for the common supercharger . But seriously, what is the downside to a set up like that? It sounds like lag is very minimal, and the power levels are within the stock eco's capabilities. Plus tuning would be a bit easier because boost threshold is nearly instantaneous (accomodating alpha-n).

Stitch, did you tune yours yourself? How was it?

Wednesday, September 24, 2008 8:29 AM
the downfall to the saab setup is high end power.....the small snail cant keep up at higher RPM's

Wednesday, September 24, 2008 9:52 AM
John Benham wrote:the downfall to the saab setup is high end power.....the small snail cant keep up at higher RPM's

That makes sense.

How would you compare a saab set up to a GMPP supercharger set up though? The saab kit, for example seems to have potential for huge torque from ~2000-5000rpm w/o all the additional expenses of the s/c (heat exchanger, water/meth injection, ported head, super rich AFR's). Let's face it, if you're buying the supercharger, you're probably in it for the instant response and midrange torque, and although some have pulled good numbers and times from the MP62, its obviously handicapped on a stock eco after a certain point. Either way, it wouldn't rev to the sky or mak e huge peak whp, but the AUC would be phenomenal.

Is it that easy or am I missing something? Sorry for the "bench racing" or "bench building" or whatever you want to call it.

Wednesday, September 24, 2008 12:44 PM
I actually got Raven to tune it for me. To be honest i just worked the pedals. lol, he did all the magic. The downfall definitly is the power potential for the turbo.
I'm running 9psi on it right now and when you're onto it in say third gear boost till be at 9psi til say 4500rpm then it'l drop to around 6-7psi between 5000-6200rpm. Not the best turbo around, but for what i paid for everything i couldn't complain. I didn't make it to the track this year to see any times. I'm gonna try to get out with Raven and a few other guys next year. Too many things have been coming up on the days they're down racing. lol

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search