So you want to buy an Ebay Turbo... - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
So you want to buy an Ebay Turbo...
Monday, January 25, 2010 8:23 PM
So you found a ebay turbo kit, and it looks too good to be true..... this is because it is too good to be true.

• Ebay kits have poorly manufactured turbos which have a high rate for premature failure.

• When buying products from ebay, you should only buy non system critical parts such as intakes, strut bars, etc.

• There is a reason why most turbo kits are expensive. Quality parts will last much longer and allow you to boost more and go faster.

• Regardless of however you boost, you will need to replace your internals with forged parts unless you plan on boosting 8 psi or less.

• Regardless of however you boost, you will need to upgrade your fuel system.

• Regardless of however you boost, you will need to tune your car.

• Ebay kits require you to reroute some things like cooling,dipstick for oil or mod to fit

• There is a reason that hahn and other quality kits cost a higher amount over ebay kits, hahn spends time in research and development whereas ebay kits just throw some parts together and hope they work

Its well worth the money to invest in a well designed turbo system, and research your build heavilly so that you can plan and execute the required modifications needed to the motor before boosting.

And because i cannot stress this point enough.... If you post asking us our opinion of an Ebay Turbo kit, we will tell you to return it because its a piece of junk and will lead to the death of your motor!!! Please don't be that guy that pitches a fit because we tell you something you don't want to hear, as much as it is very entertaining for us!

The remainder of this sticky has been borrowed from another forum and adapted.

So lets look in to what all these ebay kits have

These kits are generally all the same. They usually include an obscure named turbo (or no name at all!), a “Tial style” wastegate, a “Tial style” or “TurboXS style” blow off valve, a polished stainless manifold, polished stainless downpipe and charge pipes, an intercooler, an assortment of brass fittings, clamps, couplers, hoses…etc… usually described as below from a random auction:

Garrett T3/T4 TO4E Turbocharger
.50 STAGE iii WHEEL
GARRETT HYBRID
GARRETT INTERNALS
(1) SUPER RACE TURBO MANIFOLD
STAINLESS STEEL
(1) STAINLESS 4 BOLT DOWNPIPE
( Hand made tig )
(1) Full set of TIG Welded Complete (5) piece 2.5" charge piping.
(1) WASTEGATE DUMPTUBE
(1) SUPER 38MM WASTEGATE
(1) SUPER RFL BOV
( 1 ) SUPER 680mm X 460mm X 180mm INTERCOOLER
The seller further goes on to describe the turbo manifold:
HAND MADE STAINLESS STEEL RUNNERS 45MM , POLISHED
3/8TH THICK FLANGE
2.2MM THICK PIPE - WILL NEVER CRACK!
SUPPORT WELDS ON EACH PRIMARY TUBE
POLISHED STAINLESS STEEL
PORTED FOR HUGE HP GAINS!

So besides the obvious cheesiness and mistakes in his auction description we have a pretty basic understanding of what were buying.

-So let’s start off with the turbo manifold.
Normally these come with 3/8” stainless steel flanges. They use stainless because it polishes up nice. The preferred material for flanges is cold rolled steel. Mild steel is MUCH less susceptible to warping due to heat. It is also a lot easier to machine, especially after welding and or use.

To add a 3/8” flange will warp over time and use. If the flange does warp and you must get it machined you may not have much left after enough material has been removed to make the surface true!

Another thing relating to thickness; these manifolds will crack (will elaborate next). If the crack is fixed properly i.e. Tig welded, it will change the length (sort of. maybe more like stress) of that part of the tube that is being repaired. If this happens you’re almost sure to warp the head flange (depending on where the repair is done on the tubes and how bad the crack was)

So on to the tubing. We all know these are made cheaply overseas. The mill spec on the metal tubing they use is normally very poor. This means that the quality of the actual metal can very greatly between manifold to manifold.

Also this seller is claiming that his manifold is 2.2mm thick. Most of these manifolds were upgraded a couple years ago from standard 0.065 wall or 16 gauge tubing to 14 gauge due to mass failure. They were all cracking bad. So they upgraded one gauge thickness. This helps but is still pretty thin for a turbo manifold. Combined with @!#$ty mill spec you get manifolds that do crack after a while.

I know someone who had one of these on his integra... it cracked within a few months of purchase... Most people I talk to who have/are running one of these do have problems after a while. Normally it’s not the welds that crack (although many have) it’s a crack in one of the un welded sections of tube.

-So next is the actually Turbocharger itself.
These things really are junk. I have had the pleasure of seeing a couple of these in person. The quality of the castings is terrible; the machining of the housing and cartridge is downright horrible. Bolt holes milled/tapped crooked. Bolt holes too close to the edge of the casting. Crooked mating surfaces. Sloppy edges….etc….

One can only assume the quality and tolerances held by the oil rings, thrust bearings ….etc… would not meet very high standards. These things fall apart, leak, and don’t spool properly….etc...

-The bov and wastegates are copies of real products. I have seen these bov’s work and not work. Also this style bov doesn’t work well in cold weather. Just the design.

For me, a wastegate is the last thing I would be cheaping out on. If it fails kiss your engine bye bye. I have seen first hand one of these eBay wastegates fail. One of the little screws that hold a piece down to the diaphragm came loose. If you take your new wastegate apart and make sure everything is ok and tight you should probably be ok.

Like I said, I would never run one on my own car.

-As for charge pipes I cannot verify if these do in fact fit ok. I have never seen them, installed them or know anybody who has.

-The clamps and silicone connectors in this kit seem nice. T bolt style and real silicone. Looks good.

-I would not bank on using any of the oil routing hardware. It’s all brass and looks cheap, also incomplete. I would not ever use brass fittings on any of my own cars.

Be prepared to spend at least $150 for your oil feed and return at mopac. I always use Aeroquip and earls fittings/lines. That way you don’t every have to worry about it!

-Ebay intercoolers generally seem to be ok. This one is almost exactly the same as a precision core. They probably come from the same place lol. The other ones I have seen, tube and fin, are pretty heavy duty construction, work well. I would rock an ebay ic if i was on a budget.

Edited 6 time(s). Last edited Tuesday, January 26, 2010 4:28 PM

Re: So you want to buy an Ebay Turbo... (sticky)
Monday, January 25, 2010 8:34 PM
I have learned so much from this post. the. Org is so helpful

Monday, January 25, 2010 8:36 PM
Well ok then ... it was just a question so yeah what would be a good custom turbo kit ?

atleast 15000 dollars on a custom one huh?
Monday, January 25, 2010 8:41 PM
yeah that's what we're saying, go and spend 15 grand on a custom kit.

no man, that's not what this is about, everyone's just trying to say that a well set up saab set-up, or hahn kit is much more reliable.

is it going to cost more than 700 bucks, sure. but is it going to work out better in the end? yes.
is it going to provide more power? yes.

how hard is it to understand? don't buy an ebay turbo.

it's really that easy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Monday, January 25, 2010 8:42 PM

Monday, January 25, 2010 8:45 PM
yeah blue i got it ... all im trying to say is ... i want a boosted car i dont care if its a cheap setup ... i just had questions but wasnt answered ... i figured because i have my motor done , not all done but head gaskets all that why not try a cheaper setup , if something happens replace it ... keep saving with a boosted cavi till i get enough for a turbo cam and a hanh turbo kit.....
Tuesday, January 26, 2010 4:50 AM
No BS, my friend has a honda civic with a $600 ebay kit on it and has went 11.60's on slicks with his honda. Deff beg to differ on these cheap things anymore.

Monday, January 25, 2010 8:54 PM
somehow i knew this was coming... it was just a matter of time!

Monday, January 25, 2010 8:58 PM
chris rappoldt wrote:yeah blue i got it ... all im trying to say is ... i want a boosted car i dont care if its a cheap setup ... i just had questions but wasnt answered ... i figured because i have my motor done , not all done but head gaskets all that why not try a cheaper setup , if something happens replace it ... keep saving with a boosted cavi till i get enough for a turbo cam and a hanh turbo kit.....

So cheap out, destroy everything you've put in the motor.... replace it... blow it again... replace it.... assuming you don't kill yourself when it blows at some high speed.

you'll spend more money than if you..... do it right the first time...

is your life worth "just wanting boost"... guess what.... Boost doesn't really get you laid....

Monday, January 25, 2010 9:02 PM
GME Chat User: Speedline02 wrote:
chris rappoldt wrote:yeah blue i got it ... all im trying to say is ... i want a boosted car i dont care if its a cheap setup ... i just had questions but wasnt answered ... i figured because i have my motor done , not all done but head gaskets all that why not try a cheaper setup , if something happens replace it ... keep saving with a boosted cavi till i get enough for a turbo cam and a hanh turbo kit.....

So cheap out, destroy everything you've put in the motor.... replace it... blow it again... replace it.... assuming you don't kill yourself when it blows at some high speed.

is your life worth "just wanting boost"... guess what.... Boost doesn't really get you laid....

this man speaks the truth! j-bodies get you laid boosted or not!... lol

Monday, January 25, 2010 10:06 PM
EYEOPNR (sleepercavy) wrote:

do they funny mine never has........ great write up i agree 100 percent if your going to do it do it correct the first time..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Monday, January 25, 2010 10:18 PM

Monday, January 25, 2010 11:39 PM
EYEOPNR (sleepercavy) wrote:

QFT!!! j-bodies do get you laid!!!

Tuesday, January 26, 2010 12:59 AM
^^^ especially if you hit up all the girls in the area on myspace before going to the bash.

Tuesday, January 26, 2010 6:08 AM
cannon fodder wrote:^^^ especially if you hit up all the girls in the area on myspace before going to the bash.

They almost work just as good if you try to pick up 13 year olds........

Tuesday, January 26, 2010 6:24 AM
FINALLY lol.

The only thing that's a little off about the original post is the blanket statement about replacing internals above 8psi. I'm sure my eco could take 12 psi out of a K04 properly tuned, but it might not take 7 psi out of a GT45R.

I usually follow the rule of thumb that with a good tune, your interals are good for about double the engine's rated power if you want to push the limits. For example - 280BHP on an eco is "relatively" safe - whatever turbo/boost you use to get there.

Tuesday, January 26, 2010 8:07 AM
oldskool wrote:The only thing that's a little off about the original post is the blanket statement about replacing internals above 8psi. I'm sure my eco could take 12 psi out of a K04 properly tuned, but it might not take 7 psi out of a GT45R.

I usually follow the rule of thumb that with a good tune, your interals are good for about double the engine's rated power if you want to push the limits. For example - 280BHP on an eco is "relatively" safe - whatever turbo/boost you use to get there.
Wow, reading through this I thought nobody was going to say it. PSI means jack squat, plenty of people here have gone substantially further than 8psi on stock internals.
Going to have to disagree with the "double stock power" thing too though, as the 2200 has shown 230 can be surpassed by a good margin (hooray for truck motors).

Also note that there are plenty of "Ebay turbo" success stories. And note that "Ebay turbos" are not sold strictly through Ebay, there are plenty of companies out there reselling with a mark up.

fortune cookie say: better a delay than a disaster
Tuesday, January 26, 2010 11:07 AM
the point is that this is your motor. buy crap parts trying to save a few hundred dollars has allot higher chance of doing more damage in the end. if you spend a bit more. buy the right quality parts chances are you will only need to do it once.

its like a paintjob from maaco. everybody knows some guys friends brothers great aunt that got a super great paintjob from maaco so they want to get there car painted there. but everyone else knows 2 or 3 people a piece that have all gotten @!#$ty paintjobs by them.

would you rather spend your money on a company that gets the part right 10 our of 100 times. or would you rather spend your money on companies that get it right 90 out of 100 times.
if your poor and dont have allot of money its best to just save up and spend the money to do it right, because doing it wrong 2 or 3 times is going to cost you allot more money. and with a motor. doing it wrong the first time may cost you 3x the cost of doing it right once.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Tuesday, January 26, 2010 11:10 AM
Notec, The OHV is an exception because it starts with such a low HP .

I'm just more comfortable with a horsepower limit dictating when to build rather than a boost pressure - if double the factory HP is conservative, so be it. OHV guys can do triple

FWIW, the LNF is rated at 260HP, and it will do 520 (~440 to the wheels), without a problem once you get the fueling right. To much over that and the rods bend.

Tuesday, January 26, 2010 4:28 PM
So I should return my kit?

Damn.

Tuesday, January 26, 2010 4:40 PM
shut up brian.

Thursday, January 28, 2010 6:38 PM
I agree with the OP, I would like to see a definitive explanation of the cfm equation. I am going to be running a t3 super 60 .48 ar with a 23x13x3 intercooler on my ld9. I actually intend to bribe oldskool in a few days here to help me with the HPT to get it done. I know my kit was working well when taken off another org members car, no shaft play etc, but i like to know why it works, not just it does....
i would just google it, but damn it everything else that has happened to my z in the last 9 years defied logic anyways....

Monday, February 01, 2010 6:41 AM
YAAAAAAY, STICKY!!!

Thursday, February 11, 2010 10:09 AM
ok so where is the best place to get a turbo, the best kind, and the price...
Saturday, February 13, 2010 3:11 PM
ebay

i keed..........

atomic just released new kits, and hahn makes a very reliable, powerful product.

Wednesday, March 03, 2010 2:54 AM
idk ive heard so many different things on the turbo subject. if i bought one all you would really have to do is buy a turbo manifold from rdfabs and get a brand name turbo like borg warner. piping is piping in my eyes and like speedline said the intercoolers look like any other ic also just get earl fittings instead of the brass ones it comes with like speedline said and get a brand name wastegate like TiAL. Honestly I would buy a ebay turbo kit but wouldn't use the turbo, manifold, nor the wastegate. Id just sell those extra parts to the nearest honda owner and get some cash out of it. If you shop around your whole kit will cost you maybe a few hundred less then the hahn kit and instead of ebay kit it would somewhat turn into a custom turbo kit. One last thing i know i said i wouldnt use thier turbo but ive done some reading and there are owners getting alot of life out of them as long as you break it in properly and not just put it in and think your faster then a porsche and beat the crap out of it and that goes for any turbo like borg warner, turbonetics, garrett, bullseye etc. If you install, it let it run for a bit, go on a drive without beating the crap out of it and also get a tune so your cars running efficient, BUT if your trying to get high HP an ebay turbo is definitely out of the picture.

Thursday, March 04, 2010 11:43 AM
did some more searching and ebay turbos are like the lottery you can either get on that will give 3 miles of life or you can get one that will do 50k + on 15 psi and run like a beast.
its only 2 hundred for a cheap one so ask your self you can spend 200 six times and on the seventh youll get perfect turbo and in all you just spent about 1400 going through turbos or you can just pay about 1300 one time and get a borg warner and have a 5 year warranty on the bad boy

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search