HOW TO - Fiberglass Your Door Panels, Lots of pics - Page 2 - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: HOW TO - Fiberglass Your Door Panels, Lots of
Wednesday, July 12, 2006 11:27 PM
great write up...must become a sticky...also this answered a few questions....i may just end up with a whole fiberglassed interior someday...hope to see the finished product soon...

Sunday, July 23, 2006 8:24 PM
Updates... woohoo!

Well... after what seemed like forever I finnaly had time to drive out to my dad's house today and work on these again. The filling/glazing took me a lot longer than I anticipated, but I have one panel almost ready for paint. Hopefully i'll have more time to work on these soon.

Filling/Glazing/Sanding Progress

While I waited to filler to dry I finished painting a few more of my interior pieces

Primed... almost ready for paint

Wide Body Progress

Thursday, August 03, 2006 8:10 PM
i won't do this until yours is painted and reinserted in your door.

Wednesday, August 09, 2006 2:33 PM
Let's get some updates going here, I'm thinking about doing this soon since i'm painting my interior soon anyway.

Friday, September 08, 2006 7:25 AM
i have and 03 cavy with the map pockets and i want to keep them do i just form the fleece inside the map pockets to keep them there?

GOD : The way, the truth, and the life.
Saturday, September 16, 2006 11:12 AM
Sorry about the updates guys. I do not have anywhere to work on these, which is why there have not been any updates. Hopefully I can find a place. Also, I just started a new job that is keeping me very busy.

DeepDreamsCavy- Yea that will work.

Wide Body Progress

Friday, October 06, 2006 6:48 AM
this is not a bad how to but that trunk in your last pic I just dont understand why people glob the hell out of the bondo so hard to sand it and you glassing inside the trunk so one day if you want to change trunk set ups thats total garbage, I have done 2 fiberglass trunk se ups they are currently in other cars the one I have now is sold to a friend and can be taken out.

Wednesday, October 11, 2006 1:06 AM
Is there an updated picture of your door panel? I'd love to see it with all the cloth back on and it painted or something. Reading the steps and seeing some of those pictures made me nervous but... well, I suppose you're just braver than me.

Thanks!

Wednesday, October 11, 2006 5:32 PM
BuMmRz (Stealthfire) wrote:this is not a bad how to but that trunk in your last pic I just dont understand why people glob the hell out of the bondo so hard to sand it and you glassing inside the trunk so one day if you want to change trunk set ups thats total garbage, I have done 2 fiberglass trunk se ups they are currently in other cars the one I have now is sold to a friend and can be taken out.

I hope you know that is not my trunk. I put that in there to show people what NOT to do. But yes I understand what you are saying, and I agree.

Wide Body Progress

Thursday, November 23, 2006 11:34 AM
any complete finished photos

Saturday, November 25, 2006 4:04 AM
kurt johnson wrote:any complete finished photos

Unfortunatley, no. :O( I had a chance to get out to my dad's house a few times to work on it, but then I started a new job and had a lot less time. I'm currently living in a 2nd story apartment in the city, so I literally have no place to work on it. Sadly, looking like I won;t get to finish them until the spring after I purchase a house. But I promise, I will post up pics once I complete them.

Wide Body Progress

Friday, December 01, 2006 8:34 AM
cant wait to see it all done slimmatic good job so far
Wednesday, January 17, 2007 10:15 PM
i heard rage was good for that, my driver side door i used regular bondo brand.. here i am almost a month later and still no finnished pannel but for passenger door i used fiber glass re-inforced bondo, its unbelieveable how well this stuff goes on, havent tried to sand it yet but i will soon

SOLD....

Sunday, February 18, 2007 6:37 PM
Well, we are going to close on our house in 2 weeks. It has a nice 2.5 car garage, so I can finally get back to these door panels and finish them! Hopefully I will have updates soon.

Wide Body Progress

Thursday, April 19, 2007 10:59 PM
Wow, I just was looking on fiberglass forums and trying to find a good way to learn with glass this weekend, and now with this writeup I should be able to do it pretty easy, I took some little things I learned on the other site and saw it used here and it really made sense, thanks alot for the write-up, I hope mine turns out half as nice as yours

Friday, May 04, 2007 5:07 PM
UPDATES!!!!

Well I moved into my new house about a month ago, with a 2 car garage and big driveway, so I can FINALLY start working on my car again. I have been finishing up the fiberglassing on my passenger side door panel. I hope to have it all finished and sanded this weekend, then have them both painted and reinstalled in the next week or two.

Finishing up the glassing/sanding

Before/After

Before/After 2

I painted my driver's side panel last year, but there are some imperfections that I want to fix on it, so they will both be getting a fresh coat of paint in the nest few weeks.

Wide Body Progress

Thursday, May 17, 2007 12:57 AM
I did some door panels like this, minus the tweeter, in about 4 days. They sounded AWEFUL The imaging was terrible and there was a big volume difference between the close speaker and the opposite because the entire door panel resonated.

Needless to say, I'm starting kicks and am quite impress thus far.

Wednesday, May 23, 2007 8:38 PM
i was just wondering what type of cloth would be good to use here?
Wednesday, May 23, 2007 8:44 PM
Stretchy fleece, grab it from Wal-Mart.

Wednesday, May 23, 2007 8:47 PM
awsome thanks ill give that a shot. cause doing it with out the fabric deff didnt work.
Tuesday, August 28, 2007 12:58 PM
I understand that you said you had to drill sequenced holes in the plastic and apply resin to both sides so that the resin that goes on the felt or cloth sticks im assuming. So if that’s right how far apart do I place the holes and how big and how many, and then do I let the resin dry on the plastic and then go on with the normal process. Also does resin adheave to wood? And one more thing can I staple where I am going to be fiberglass and go over it with out having any trouble from the staples?

Sunday, September 02, 2007 8:39 PM
If you are using cloth, you do not need to drill any holes. The cloth soaks up the resin, and then the resin sticks to that. If you are fiberglassing a piece of plastic or something similar, you will just drill a bunch of holes. The reason for this is that resin does not stick to the plastic. So you will apply it to both sides of the pieces so that i sticks to itself. The amount and holes and distance are up to you, just use common sense. You want enough so that the resin seeps through ans sticks.

Wide Body Progress

Wednesday, October 03, 2007 1:01 PM
hey thanks for taking the time to write all this up it has a lot of useful info, i was just wondering when you use MDF as a template for a speaker or sub hole does it have to be MDF or would it stick to other wood like chipboard ?, also i was thinking of doing a mold for the whole of my boot a bit like in the picture below but not with quite as much stuff so any ideas where to start ?

Tuesday, October 09, 2007 9:53 PM
any finished install pics
Tuesday, October 30, 2007 7:17 AM
nick lowden wrote:hey thanks for taking the time to write all this up it has a lot of useful info, i was just wondering when you use MDF as a template for a speaker or sub hole does it have to be MDF or would it stick to other wood like chipboard ?, also i was thinking of doing a mold for the whole of my boot a bit like in the picture below but not with quite as much stuff so any ideas where to start ?

i would definately recommend MDF as opposed to any other wood. it is a thick dense wood and soaks up resin pretty well to allow for everything to bond together instead of seperating after time.

as far as making a mold, im not sure what you mean by "whole of your boot" but i assume you mean the spare tire well. if so, id start by taping the entire area off with painters tape. then lay a layer of tin foil over top of the tape, and tape that down. then start laying your glass. once you get at least 3-4 layers all the way around, and its dry you can pull it out to continue working on it. just make sure you leave it in there to dry at least 24 hours to prevent warping/shrinking.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search