JUICEDZ4 projects, Im back... - Page 24 - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: JUICEDZ4 projects, Im back...
Thursday, October 04, 2012 9:41 PM
Some racing leagues require a cutoff at certain points reachable by safety personnel, such as on the back bumper or right by the driver window, pretty sure that's probably the reasoning behind this one.

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said

Friday, October 05, 2012 7:52 AM
far as i knew it had to be on the outside of the car. rear preferably but thats drag racing so who knows.

hell if its aloud inside the cabin id LOVE to do that. i hate having an ugly cutoff switch on the outside of the car. lol

I choose the technology built for land speed records... not the technology built to save on emissions and gas mileage.
Tuesday, October 16, 2012 10:36 PM
Last week I primed the fuel system and noticed one of the AN fittings was leaking. I ordered a new one monday, installed it wed, and retested sunday, no leaks. Also I finished the rewire of the hall crank sensor and tested that on sunday. Turns out the pullup resistor for the sensor is not normally installed on the MS main board so while I was able to get it running it wasnt easy and wouldnt stay synced up at high rpm. Ill put the resistor in thrusday and hopefully Ill be ready to retest this weekend.

In fabrication news I decided to remove my coolant surge tank, since I really dont need it, and redo the crankcase catch can b/c the old one was meant to be used with a vacuum pump that Im just not going to ever install.

At this point they are mostly done. Hoping to finish both up thrusday for install this weekend.

Overflow. The inlet will be hard lined. I have that all bent up and ready to go as well.

The catchcan I did all tonight. The breathers will mount above each of the round tubes. Inside the metal mesh area will be either some aluminum wool that I have or maybe one of those ss scrubbies. The mesh discs inside the tubes prevent the wool from dipping in the oil caught (as long as I keep up with emptying it) Anyway, I think it should do a decent job of filtering the oily air and will be a lot simpler and smaller than the old one that I hated.

Dan

Currently on jackstands.

Project updates and stuff: www.clubhousecustoms.com
email: dan at clubhousecustoms dot com
Wednesday, October 17, 2012 3:43 AM
I facebooked you.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Wednesday, October 17, 2012 3:46 AM
I wish I had your fab skills. Always top notch work
Wednesday, October 17, 2012 4:59 AM
Consider selling those?

Its awesome! I cant wait till I can get a tig for my garage
Thursday, October 18, 2012 11:00 PM
Got a late start tonight, 9:30, but still managed to get quite a bit done. The catch can is finished except for some mounting brackets. The overflow tank is done other than some sort of "finish". Likely Ill just bead blast and clear it.

Catch can with breather bushings.

Breathers installed. I can hardly wait to scuff the hell out of them and paint them or something. Ugh chrome.

Tank basically where it will sit, just not on the tape measure

Hard line for the catch can drain. Its sorta hard to see here.

Overflow plumbed in and mounted

Overflow, overflow :-p

Overview of everything

Dan

Currently on jackstands.

Friday, October 19, 2012 3:13 AM
Looks pretty damn slick for such an old car. I like it a lot.

Friday, October 19, 2012 5:41 AM
Why......

Because racecar........

This thing is so amazing
Friday, October 19, 2012 6:50 AM
shouldn't the overflow for the coolant be at the level, if not a bit higher than the radiator itself? Isn't the overflow tank supposed to be able to trade fluids back and forth between the rad and itself?

Friday, October 19, 2012 6:56 AM
Once all the air is out of the system the fluid in the overflow can be drawn up through the inlet hose due to the "vacuum" thats created as the coolant cools back down. Its that whole expansion and contraction of fluids thing.

Dan

Currently on jackstands.

Friday, October 19, 2012 6:59 AM
so you are going to create a vacuum by sucking all the air out of the coolant system. I take it there is some sort of air tight valve attached to the overflow's overflow?

Friday, October 19, 2012 7:01 AM
No, the coolant fills from the bottom of the tank, up, so when the radiator needs fluid it will suck it back in from the bottom of the tank, where there is no air. Its like drinking through a straw, but with the radiator doing the "sucking".

Dan

Currently on jackstands.

Friday, October 19, 2012 9:51 AM
RaGiN Z (the fake 05) wrote:shouldn't the overflow for the coolant be at the level, if not a bit higher than the radiator itself? Isn't the overflow tank supposed to be able to trade fluids back and forth between the rad and itself?

Tuesday, October 23, 2012 11:36 AM
Finished up the fab on the catch can last night. Just needs to be bead blasted and cleared (which is half done).

I didnt get a pic of the mounting bracket before I took these pics, Ill do that tonight.

Dan

Currently on jackstands.

Tuesday, October 23, 2012 12:36 PM
So damn nice. I really wish I knew how to weld.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Monday, October 29, 2012 7:11 AM
Finished up the catch can late last week. I made a new abs filler piece for under it (which just needs to be bolted down, but Im out of 1/4-20 ss button heads). Again the finish is just a glass bead blast with a clear coat. I bead blasted the chrome breathers too, but of course the micron of chrome on there came off so I had to paint them an aluminum color. Its not a perfect match, but close enough. At least its not chrome, blech.

And a full "finished" view of the engine bay with the catch can and the new overflow installed.

Up next, some work on the steering.

Dan

Currently on jackstands.

Monday, October 29, 2012 8:47 AM
Epic-ness!

PRND321 Till I DIE
Monday, October 29, 2012 11:17 PM
Love it! Great work!

Wednesday, October 31, 2012 6:26 AM
Bootyfull!!

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Tuesday, December 18, 2012 7:47 AM
Anything new?

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ

Tuesday, January 29, 2013 6:30 PM
Finally an update! The holidays, house projects, moving my image gallery to a new server, and near 0 temps have kept me busy the last while.

Anyway, Im back to trying to finish up the exhaust. Ive always liked side exit exhaust, and going over the axle and between the swaybar etc with 3" wasnt my idea of fun, so out the side it is. I also wanted something light so I decided to make my own version of a "boomtube" in aluminum.

The dimensions are roughly 1.5x12 at the outlet and 1.75x4.5 at the inlet and its approx 36" long.

First I came up with a sweet template.

Then I bent up some aluminum and welded some supports inside

I had ideas of grandeur of doing some plug welds through the top cover to attach it to the ribs, which didnt really work out. So I drilled a bunch of holes and welded in some 1/4" dia rods along either side of each rib (Ill post some pics of that later) to hold it together. It seems to have worked quite well.

Here are a few shots of it jacked in place

The next task (other than getting more argon) is to make a transition from the box to the 3" muffler outlet. The plan is to form this out of aluminum, should be "fun"

Im hoping to get to that tomorrow night.

Dan

Currently on jackstands.

Tuesday, January 29, 2013 7:31 PM
Amazing fabrication, exceeds what I would expect out of a race-shop even, just amazing.

Wednesday, January 30, 2013 6:07 AM
Joe Schulte wrote:Amazing fabrication, exceeds what I would expect out of a race-shop even, just amazing.

Exceeds show car quality and it's actually built to function! Amazing combo.

BeardLife / Club Awesome Reject Blog
Wednesday, January 30, 2013 7:07 AM
Still my favorite thread....outside of ag of course. Love everything, especially that exhaust!

"In Oldskool we trust"
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search