New year, new thread... strat's sedan 2017 - Page 3 - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: New year, new thread... strat's sedan 2017
Tuesday, November 20, 2018 6:28 AM
Yes those are Oem fender cowl braces. Good eye.

The edge of the inner splines that mate with the axle is what needed beveled. Basically the c-clip expands once the axle is fully seated in the gear. Without the bevel, the c-clip has no way to compress to allow the axle to be removed.

As for the m-tech, I bought mine used. I believe m-tech is now 4H-tech. I believe they’ve discontinued the shifters for the jbody.

Sunday, March 24, 2019 8:45 PM
So I’ve been slacking on updates (not that there has been much to update...

Pulled the blower to port the inlet and found the case needle bearings are shot. Porting has been slow going as I haven’t had much free time to get out in the garage.

Picked up another hood to run while the scoote gets the attention it needs.

And got some amsoil for the trans.

Started to relocate the battery but realized after I routed the cable to the trunk that I should have drilled the box and run it from the back forward (both ends are terminated, battery end is for a post style battery)

At this point, I need to finish up the blower, fill it with fluids, and see if it will run. Once it runs, I need to sort the header/firewall clearance issues, pickup tires, get it inspected, get a fuel pump/harness in it, pickup a water/meth kit (plan to run straight water for Scca legality), and then get the damn thing tuned. Hoping to make at least 1 or 2 races this year.

Monday, March 25, 2019 2:16 PM
what are you doing with the scoote? just touch ups? full paint?
Monday, March 25, 2019 4:54 PM
Fixing some issues with the glass and hopefully wrapping in cf.

Thursday, March 28, 2019 6:03 PM
How did you end up routing your belt with the A/C deleted? I am putting together a twincharged Slostice using the LSJ M62, I am currently crossing this belt routing bridge.
Monday, April 01, 2019 8:27 AM

This is what I’m planning to try... not 100% sure there is enough wrap on the alternator yet. Worst case, I’ll gut a compressor and run the standard lsj routing.

Tuesday, April 09, 2019 9:11 AM
I am running an LE5 head so there is a engine lift bracket boss that I bolted one of the pulleys to directly. Then I made the custom bracket to hold the other idler. I am waiting on a 6-rib alternator pulley so I can run a 6-rib belt (LE5 uses 5-rib) and also buying a bunch of belts to find the right one that will fit.

Tuesday, April 09, 2019 9:12 AM
Btw I am Thomas Jefferson
Wednesday, April 10, 2019 6:51 PM
I assume you’re not using the upper mount then as one of your idlers is bolted where the upper mount bracket would attach. Guessing it’s not going in a j either unless you are rewiring the car to deal with the vvt?

Thursday, April 11, 2019 5:50 AM
strat81 wrote:I assume you’re not using the upper mount then as one of your idlers is bolted where the upper mount bracket would attach. Guessing it’s not going in a j either unless you are rewiring the car to deal with the vvt?

Correct I am building a Solstice that is rwd so it has longitudinal mounts. Here is the upper pulley bolt location on my LE5 head:

Maybe if your setup gives you trouble with the alternator wrap I saw a couple pictures with a single idler above the alternator, maybe this could be plan B on a j

Wednesday, April 17, 2019 6:39 AM
For reference, here is my LE5 belt setup using a standard 6-rib serpentine belt (bought at total of 5 belts to find the right length). I also bought a generic bolt on style alternator pulley, had to touch it up with a lathe to clearance but fits well otherwise the offset off the alternator is standard:

Wednesday, April 17, 2019 7:40 AM
I guess I don't understand the need for one-off parts and trying 15 different belts when there is a widely available bolt-on solution that works pretty well for relatively cheap.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Thursday, April 18, 2019 1:26 PM
Y3llowCav wrote:I guess I don't understand the need for one-off parts and trying 15 different belts when there is a widely available bolt-on solution that works pretty well for relatively cheap.

That works with the ac compressor deleted?

Thursday, April 18, 2019 4:17 PM
Thursday, April 18, 2019 8:33 PM
Belt wrap is roughly the same on the blower pulley with tension being put more directly onto the blower pulley so I’m hoping it will be less prone to slip... especially with the 2.6.

Wednesday, April 24, 2019 6:46 PM
Y3llowCav wrote:I guess I don't understand the need for one-off parts and trying 15 different belts when there is a widely available bolt-on solution that works pretty well for relatively cheap.

$200 for used LSJ tensioner + idler

$175 for alternator

$40 for belt

= $415

$20 Idler pulley smooth

$16 Idler pulley ribbed

$5 scrap aluminum

$1 helicoil

$3 bolt

$3 Argon

= $48

I did the maths
Wednesday, April 24, 2019 6:48 PM
...and forgot to include: Dead weight of the A/C compressor (I have a tilted radiator, not really feasible with more cash spend)
Wednesday, April 24, 2019 6:49 PM
I'm sorry I am, I am not use to the Edit button. The serpentine belt ended up costing $17 from NAPA. So make the total $65 for the 1-off setup.
Wednesday, May 15, 2019 9:11 AM
So... bit of an update...

Finished porting the blower inlet. Fought with the case bearings and finally got them out. New bearings I had sourced are wrong. New new bearings came in along with some other goodies.

Thursday, May 16, 2019 11:35 AM
Are you changing out the LSJ M62 needle bearings for the rotors? The ones way inside the housing? From my research I concluded that they are not serviceable because they require special tooling. I also couldn't identify the replacement bearings either. Will be super awesome if you could share your experience with swapping these bearings; I believe it can be done but I just don't know how without causing damage to the housing and bores.
Saturday, May 18, 2019 4:23 PM
The bearings can be sourced on eBay. They are an Oem proprietary sized ina needle roller. Cost roughly $68.

I used a blind hole bearing puller to get them out. They were an absolute bitch to get out but I managed. Honestly if I was to do it again, I’d just buy a ported case with replacement bearings already done from Jeff reiland. He’s got them on eBay in the $175 range.

Tuesday, May 21, 2019 7:57 AM
strat81 wrote:The bearings can be sourced on eBay. They are an Oem proprietary sized ina needle roller. Cost roughly $68.

I used a blind hole bearing puller to get them out. They were an absolute bitch to get out but I managed. Honestly if I was to do it again, I’d just buy a ported case with replacement bearings already done from Jeff reiland. He’s got them on eBay in the $175 range.

Good call, I'm sure Mongo could help someone swap out the bearings on their own SC too.
Monday, May 27, 2019 5:35 PM

M62 is ported, new case bearings installed, zzp upgraded coupler added, and filled with new oil. It’s ready to go back on the car as soon as I sort out my heat exchanger plumbing.

Re: strat's sedan
Wednesday, June 05, 2019 9:47 PM
So I bought a stock lsj heat exchanger pump bracket to replace the home brew bracket I’ve used for years... turns out the pump I got years ago with my kit wasn’t an lsj pump. (I’d always just assumed it was)

So I bought a new lsj pump.

If all goes according to plan, I hope to have the heat exchanger replumbed and the blower back on the car this weekend. Maybe even try to start it.

Re: strat's sedan
Thursday, June 06, 2019 6:04 AM
It's so tiny! Glad you got the right stuff, wonder what the flow difference is.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search