Need help asap - Newbies Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Need help asap
Monday, February 14, 2005 11:59 AM
Ok, I was driving last night, not speeding at all, I take a turn, hear "crunch", slow down, keep moving to get out of the street, and just hear grinding. I stop the car, take a look, my left front tire is sticking out. I jack up the car a little to see if I snapped an axle, and no, all the studs snapped off. The tire falls down, I get it towed. Problem is, whats the easiest way to get the broken studs out, and new studs in. I've been trying to work them out for quite sometime now, no dice. Any suggestions? Thanks for any help

Re: Need help asap
Monday, February 14, 2005 12:13 PM
Is there anything left sticking out of the hub and does it look straight? If so, you might be able to just tap them out with a hammer. If not, you might need a punch and a hammer.

Now go out and pick yourself up a torque wrench so you never have to go through this again. Whether you torqued them wrong or the shop did, that's almost certainly the cause of this. Too much torque or not enough can lead to lug failure and as you just discovered, it can be dangerous as all hell!

Monday, February 14, 2005 12:32 PM
Yes there is a little sticking out, and yes I beat them with a hammer for a good while, still working on that. As for the torque, it could have been when I got my tires rotated. Either way, I've been outside beating the damn studs with a hammer and they won't budge. Also, once their out, is it really hard to get new studs in? Anyways thanks for the help, I'll be outside for about another hour. BTW just to make the situation better, it's raining.
Monday, February 14, 2005 4:25 PM

i got the studs out, can't fit new studs in, help?
Monday, February 14, 2005 4:37 PM
the shop should cover this. if they messed it up they are at fault.

or u can take the hub to a machine shop and have them put it

Tuesday, February 15, 2005 1:36 PM
i've heard of one stud breaking off, even two...but NEVER all five. someone REALLY REALLY REALLY screwed up. i'd take it back to the shop and find out what the hell they did...

GO PATS!!!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search