starting my bobber project - Page 3 - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: starting my bobber project
Saturday, January 12, 2013 2:29 PM
Since this thread is what got me interested in bobbers, Id just like to say that it still looks badass.

Im picking up an older KZ550 this week to bob. Im planning something like yours but a hardtail with some Kawasaki green. Where did you get your ape hangers and solo seat at? How is it riding without fenders?

I dont know the first thing about bike customizing but it will be fun to figure out as I go.

Saturday, January 12, 2013 4:07 PM
Apes are from tcbroschoppers.com they specialize in mostly the yamaha xs platform but do have some universal parts as well. riding without fenders isn't bad... Until it rains

I still have plans on getting the fat front tire and rocking some white walls this year. not sure what else Will get accomplished.

Tuesday, January 22, 2013 4:16 PM
Back again! Actually ended up with an 85 Vulcan 700. Much cleaner bike for the money compared to the KZ. Had to go with a V-twin instead of a 4 cyl too but its ok.

Its a shafty too. So how does your driveshaft like the back being lowered? Does it mess with the u-joints or give you any vibrations or anything? Im reading some mixed things on the webs.

Wednesday, January 23, 2013 5:43 PM
No added vibes on mine with the rear dropped. i like my inline but id love to have a v twin if only for the sound.

Post some pics of your new wheels

Thursday, January 24, 2013 3:37 PM
Only pic Ive got right now. I found it up around my parents house so my dad went to look at it and pick it up for me. I think he just wants an excuse to dick around with an old bike like he used to have haha.

I wanna go hardtail, solo seat, drag bars and fenderless once I get used to riding. This'll be the first thing Ive rode bigger than a moped.

Ever been to oldbikebarn.com? Lots of cool stuff for bobbers and choppers.

Friday, January 25, 2013 6:30 AM
Hard tailing a shafty is a bit more involved but can be done.

From what I've seen old bike barn is a bit pricey. there are quite a few places catering to the robber crowd and there are a lot of parts on the older jap bikes that are a universal fit.

Bike looks like a great base to start with.

Saturday, January 26, 2013 5:41 PM
I guess when I say hardtail I mean like what you did with the shorter shocks but with solid steel stock instead. I cant weld for @!#$ so an actual hardtail is out of the question. Hahaha.

Saturday, January 26, 2013 7:04 PM
Just make sure to keep an eye on the bolts/mounts as they aren't really designed to absorb all the impact from potholes/etc. there are companies that offer solid struts as well.

Tuesday, January 29, 2013 3:29 PM
hey brian if you give me specs i can build just about anything you'd like with struts for a bike

some i did for a guy in minnesota

Wednesday, January 30, 2013 11:26 AM
Brian (TheSundownFire) wrote:Only pic Ive got right now. I found it up around my parents house so my dad went to look at it and pick it up for me. I think he just wants an excuse to dick around with an old bike like he used to have haha.

I wanna go hardtail, solo seat, drag bars and fenderless once I get used to riding. This'll be the first thing Ive rode bigger than a moped.

Ever been to oldbikebarn.com? Lots of cool stuff for bobbers and choppers.

i rode that bike all through highschool, now it sits in my dad's garage. same year, same paint everything. those vulcans are such comfortable good running bikes. Don't dick it up making it into a bobber. they are wonderful cruisers. just take the windsheild off of it. If you were closer, i would offer to buy it from you so i can have twin bikes in the garage.

Wednesday, October 30, 2013 9:06 AM
just a small update on my bobber

pulled the battery box and the gauges... now I just need to clean up some wiring and pickup a new headlight and speedometer.

current plans for the winter include: faux oil tank for the electrical/key, pods, whitewalls with the fatter front tire, and cleaning up the handle bars (along with a new headlight and speedo as previously mentioned)

a couple pics of an xj forum member's xj700 with the fat front tire and the wheel i'll be using...

Sunday, November 03, 2013 10:12 AM
Pulled the airbox... Still need to clean up some wiring

Plans are to run pods with the stock boots to minimize tuning issues that others have encountered

Saturday, January 04, 2014 9:06 PM
Pods are mocked up and whitewalls are ordered.

Monday, January 06, 2014 5:34 PM
Good man.

Saturday, January 18, 2014 6:33 PM
Picked up a blue collar bobber rear fender from a buddy. I think it will look pretty good once I figure out how I'm going to mount it...

Monday, November 09, 2015 9:47 PM
been a long time since I posted an update...

finally got my whitewalls mounted.

i have the faux oil tank and battery box but still need to sort the wiring. in order to do so, i have a bunch of other items to purchase for the bike.

Thursday, November 12, 2015 2:43 PM
Subd....

Saturday, December 26, 2015 6:13 AM
Looks great man. White walls make it.

Saturday, January 16, 2016 7:15 AM
Hey dude where did you purchase the rear fender i been looking everywhere
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search