How To: Front End Swaps for 3rd Gen Js!!!! - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
How To: Front End Swaps for 3rd Gen Js!!!!
Friday, April 07, 2006 5:46 PM

Please read replies to this post as well, your questions may have been asked already and been answered in replies. First off, this is not something to be attempted by someone who doesn't know what they're doing. This involves bodywork with removing body panels, electrical wiring for some, patience, and sometimes a couple hundred dollars depending on how lucky you can get. Although this seems really easy, for someone who has never done any of this work it could end up being a big pain...

This is all the information I have gathered for any 3rd Gen J-body to do a front swap to any other 3rd Gen front end. I have had a lot of help with getting a lot of this info and without them it wouldn't be as good or informative as it is.
Pics and some info Thanks to Jeff(Karnage), Daniel(KenwoodKav (1dersk8)), Craig(Arnjolt), Micah(ShadowFire (mahcmos)), Kevin(OneBadZ24), Rich(GrillRD), Kirk(StreetWhite03), Greg(Meckster), Ron(Shifted), Greg(metallic5spd), and Matt(Matt Howell)

What you need if you are swapping to...

95-99 Cavalier
- 95-99 Cavalier Headlights(with plastic mount, its what bolts down the headlight)
- 95-99 Corner Lights
- 95-99 Front Bumper
- 95-02 Cavalier Hood
- 95-99 Fenders (recommended) or the Corner Brackets from the fenders
- 2 x 9005 High Beam Bulbs
- 2 x 9006 Low Beam Bulbs
- 2 x 194 Bulbs for turn signals
- From the donor car's wiring harness, two 9005 and two 9006 headlights sockets and two 194 corner light sockets(Only needed if you have a 00-02 Cavalier, all the rest have this bulb already wired on your side markers or part of your turn signals)
- Black L shaped bracket for bottom of headlight to slide into...found from Donor Car(Click for Picture)

00-02 Cavalier
- 00-02 Cavalier Headlights(with plastic mount, its what bolts down the headlight)
- 00-02 Corner Lights
- 95-02 Cavalier Hood
- 00-02 Front Bumper(or you can modify a 95-99 to work, trimming on the headlight area is what needs to be done)
- 00-02 Fenders(95-99 can be used IF and only you cut off the bracket that holds the 95-99 turn signals on)
- 2 x 9007 High/Low Beam Bulbs
- 2 x 3157 Turn signal Bulbs(any 3rd Gen has these for turn signals so not necessary unless you need new bulbs, you can use what came with your car)
- From the donor car's wiring harness, or two 9007 headlight sockets(unless you have a 95-02 Sunfire, or 03-05 Cavalier, these already use this bulb for headlights)
- Corner Bracket, this holds your 00-02 Corner Lights by one of the prongs on the back of the light, this is not necessary some have said.. but I wouldn't want to risk the corner light falling out, but its ur choice(Click for Picture)

03-05 Cavalier
- 03-05 Cavalier Headlights(with plastic mount, its what bolts down the headlight)
- 03-05 Front Bumper
- 03-05 Fenders(00-02 can be used, IF you remove the corner bracket if you have a 00-02, also 95-99 can be used IF and only you cut off the bracket that holds the 95-99 turn signals on)
- 03-05 Cavalier Hood
- 2 x 3157 Turn signal Bulbs(any 3rd Gen has these for turn signals so not necessary unless you need new bulbs, you can use what came with your car)
- 2 x 194 Bulbs for turn signals(any 3rd Gen(except 00-02 Cavaliers) have these for turn signals so not necessary unless you need new bulbs, you can use what came with your car)
- From the donor car's wiring harness, or two 9007 headlights sockets(unless you have a 95-02 Sunfire, or 00-02 Cavalier, these already use this bulb for headlights) and two 194 corner light sockets(Only needed if you have a 00-02 Cavalier, all the rest have this bulb already wired on your side markers or part of your turn signals)

95-02 Sunfire
- 95-02 Sunfire Headlights(with plastic mount, its what bolts down the headlight)
- 95-02 Front Bumper
- 95-05 Fenders
- 95-02 Sunfire Hood
- 2 x 194 Bulbs for turn signals(any 3rd Gen(except 00-02 Cavaliers) have these for turn signals so not necessary unless you need new bulbs, you can use what came with your car)
- From the donor car's wiring harness, or two 9007 headlights sockets(unless you have a 00-05 Cavalier, these already use this bulb for headlights) and two 194 corner light sockets(Only needed if you have a 00-02 Cavalier, all the rest have this bulb already wired on your side markers or part of your turn signals)

03-05 Sunfire
- 03-05 Sunfire Headlights(with plastic mount, its what bolts down the headlight)
- 03-05 Sunfire Turn signals
- 03-05 Front Bumper
- 95-05 Fenders
- 03-05 Sunfire Hood
- 2 x H11 Low Beam Bulbs
- 2 x H9 High Beam Bulbs
- From the donor car's wiring harness, or two H11 and two H9 headlights sockets and two 194 corner light sockets(Only needed if you have a 00-02 Cavalier, all the rest have this bulb already wired on your side markers or part of your turn signals)
- Corner Light brackets, this is basically a bar that bolts to the bottom/side of the corner, which then bolts to the frame in the front next to where the headlights bolt down(Click for Picture)
- Bumper Brackets, these brackets bolt from the metal bumper support to the bumper cover(Click for Picture 1 , Click for Picture 2)

Everything Else
- Speed nuts(for 95-99 cavalier conversion only)
- Sawzall, Hacksaw, or Dremel
- Butt Connectors, or Heat shrink tube and Heat gun, Electrical Tape (Soldering is always recommended)
- Wire Stripper/Crimper/Cutter
- Wrench and Sockets for: Headlights(13mm), Fender(10mm), Splash guards(7mm), Bumper(10mm)

Removing Headlights, Bumper, and Fenders on 95-05 Cavaliers AND Sunfires
Step 1: Open Hood and prop open with hood prop
Step 2: Remove Radiator Cover, this has 6 push pin style rivets(Click for diagram), use a flat head and work the head of the rivet up to unlock it then just pull out whole rivet out. (Click for diagram)
Step 3: Find your ratchet (any size) and grab a 13mm socket to fit that ratchet. Also a extension(3" or 6") or 13mm Deep well might be a good idea if you want to make sure you don't accidentally knick your fenders or anything while turning your ratchet.
Step 4: This is where directions separate for different year/model of 3rd Gen J-bodies. Removing Headlights
---95-05 Cavaliers: Behind each headlight is a plastic mount, this mount has (2) 13mm bolts holding the mount onto the radiator support, remove those 2 bolts
Click for Picture of: 95-02 Cavalier Headlights, 03-05 Cavalier Headlights, 95-02 Sunfire Headlights, 03-05 Sunfire Headlights
*Note*
-95-99 Cavalier headlights, tilt forward and then pull forward out and disconnect the 2 bulbs in the back. The corner turn signal does not come off with the headlight, there are (3) 7/16(7/16 deep well is needed if you use a socket) nuts thread onto the back of the corner turn signals, remove those and pull the turn signal out, then disconnect the bulb and it'll come right out. (Click for diagram)
-00-02 Cavalier headlights, tilt forward and pull forward out, while using one hand to pull out use the other to support the corner turn signal, this is connected to the plastic mount. You can either just pull the turn signal out with the headlight by guiding the corner out with the headlight. There is just a rubber pin that goes into a hole that it just easily will slide out forward with the headlight. OR using a flat head look behind the headlight and turn signal, you should a big clip holding the turn signal onto the headlight mount then 2 prongs also. Using the flat head pry the clip back carefully to unhook from the headlight and pull the corner straight forward. This is how to separate the headlight from turn signals or how to swap out stock turn signals for clear corners also. Once headlight is out disconnect the bulb and also the turn signal and they'll come right out.
-03-05 Cavalier The headlight and turn signal are as a whole, just remove those 2 bolts, tilt forward and pull forward out and disconnect the turn signal and headlight bulbs.
---95-05 Sunfires: Behind each headlight is a plastic mount, this mount has (2) 13mm bolts holding the mount onto the radiator support, remove these 2 bolts
-95-02 Sunfire headlights should easily just tilt forward and pull out. Then disconnect the bulb and its out.
-03-05 Sunfire headlights easily tilt forward and pull out, but the corners are held in with a 13mm bolt, bolted to the radiator support.
Step 5: Removing your front bumper, these directions are pretty general, even though the bumpers are different mounting holes are basically located in the same location, which is what makes doing this swap easy.
*Locate (4-6) 7mm bolts along the back of the bumper on each side. The plastic front half inner fender half is bolted to the bumper. Remove these 8-12 bolts (Click for picture)
*Next, reach into the fender/bumper. On each side of the bumper are 2 bolts holding the bumper up to the fender. These are 10mm Bolt. A 6" extension is ideal to make turning the ratchet easier, but isn't necessary. (Click for picture)
*Once you have removed those, the bumper is basically off.. Next between the headlights will be 4 plastic push pins like in the radiator cover.. just bigger. (Click for picture) *Notice* on 95-99 Z24 bumpers there is a plastic air dam behind the bumper, this is held to the back of the metal bumper also by two push pins like the top. I found it easier to get these from the top(less hassle anyway and more room to move) but removing them from laying doing and looking up makes them easier to see and removing them is a little quicker.(Click for picture).
*Note: 03-05 Sunfire Bumpers* Removing the bumper off your 03-05 Sunfire matches up with the above info, but instead of 4 push pins on the top of the bumper, there are 2 brackets that bolt the bumper cover to the metal bumper behind the crush guard. These brackets are almost right under where the turn signals would sit if they were still installed. .(Click for picture).
Step 6: Removing your fenders, again these directions are general just like the bumpers. The holes are in the same place but the body panels just look different. Again, making this swap pretty easy and why
*First you need to remove your hood, there are (2) 10mm bolts holding the hinges to the fenders, just unbolt the hinges and lift the hood off with the hinges still attached to the hood.
*Then Locate 2 more 10mm bolts along the top of the fender.
*Next remove the 2 10mm bolts on the bottom of the fender, these are under the car, once you get down and look you will see these. *Note* if you have side skirts of any kind, you will need to remove one screw and at least a couple bolts(7mm) underneath the car allowing you to pull the side skirts out enough to slide the bottom of the fender out.
*Now you need to open your door and from the inside of the door you will see a 7mm bolt at the top of the fender on the inside of the door jam and remove that
*Now with the door open you should be able to push the fender a inch or 2 forward, next from the outside look in the door jam again and you will see a bracket with 2 7mm bolts holding it, undo these 2 bolts.
*Now all the bolts are out but you still have the inner fender liner attached. you can attempt to pry these out, but I found it easier and quicker to just cut them and I bought new ones from local parts store for 3bucks or so for about 12-15 in a package. You only need about 4-5 each side. Now the fender should lift off.
Step 7: All body panels should be removed to complete your swap, some brackets from the fenders will need to be swapped over and then just reverse steps to install but install your new panels and brackets, rewire the headlights(directions below) and then install new headlights

Wiring Your Headlights
Ok this part is not hard.. If you have ever done wiring. It can get confusing and complicated if you don't know what you are doing or have no clue of what is being talked about. This part is what usually discourages everyone who wants to do this swap. But there is good news.. if you own a 95-02 Sunfire, or 00-05 Cavalier, and want to do a 00-05 Cavalier or 95-02 Sunfire conversion.. you don't need to do any wiring! The headlight bulbs are all 9007 for those grouped of 3rd Gens.
Now for those who want to do a 95-99 Cavalier swap or 03-05 Sunfire swap, you do have to do some change in wiring. A 95-99 Cavalier uses a 2 bulb system. One for highs (9005) and one for lows(9006), with each bulb having a positive and ground (4 total wires on each side). Also a 03-05 Sunfire uses a 2 bulb system. One for highs (H9) and one for lows(H11), with each bulb having a positive and ground (4 total wires on each side). All the rest of the 3rd gens use a single bulb (9007) for both high and lows and for that have only 3 wires, 2 grounds(one for each beam) and 1 positive.. You need to know this for doing any sort of splicing to your headlights.

Wires, which are grounds and positives?
This is the info on all 3rd gen wiring for the headlights. Just find your year and then find the year your swapping to and match up the wires with the grounds and positives. Not hard if you actually understand what your doing. Don't expect to read this and know everything to do the swap. .this is all the info to help you.. you are the main part if this swap can be completed or not.

95-99 Cavalier
Driverside
High Beam Positive = Dark Blue
High Beam Ground = Pink
Low Beam Positive = Orange (or Blue)
Low Beam Ground = Dark Blue

Passengerside
High Beam Positive = Orange
High Beam Ground = Pink
Low Beam Positive = Orange

00-02 Cavalier
Driverside
High Beam Ground = Blue
Positive = Dark Blue
Low Beam Ground = Pink

Passengerside
High Beam Ground = Pink
Positive = Orange

95-99 Sunfire
Driverside
High Beam Ground = Green
Positive = Black
Low Beam Ground = Tan

Passengerside
High Beam Ground = Green
Positive = Black
Low Beam Ground = Tan

00-02 Sunfire
Driverside
High Beam Ground = Blue
Positive = Dark Blue
Low Beam Ground = Pink

Passengerside
High Beam Ground = Pink
Positive = Orange

03-05 Sunfire
I do not know what wire colors mean what for the 03-05 Sunfire, but both ShadowFire (mahcmos) and Shifted have told me since there are only 2 wires to each connector it doesn't matter which is ground or positive, the current will still flow, and quoting Shifted, "that's what makes DC current wonderful." But I did list wire colors below so you know what they are. If you need any help with figuring out how to wire these please feel free to ask, I will gladly help you.
Driverside
High Beam 1 = Pink
High Beam 2 = Blue
Low Beam 1 = Blue
Low Beam 2 = Blue

Passengerside
High Beam 1 = Pink
High Beam 2 = Orange
Low Beam Positive = Orange
Low Beam Ground = Blue

Sorry if this got confusing.. this is alot of info so u can easily get lost in it, sorry. lmao.
If you have any questiosn get ahold of me and i will help you as much as possible.

Anyone please feel free to add info just make sure it is correct.

Also, DAVE. Its my Birfday today, can i get a sticky?

Edited 5 time(s). Last edited Wednesday, August 25, 2010 10:57 AM

Re: How To: Front End Swaps for 3rd Gen Js!!!!
Friday, April 07, 2006 5:53 PM
Nice work on the writeup. If anyone needs any extra info on the 03 Sunfire swap feel free to email me at mah_cmos@hotmail.com.

Friday, April 07, 2006 7:09 PM
sweet write up man. finally all the repeated questions will go away.

FOR SALE: (5) '95-'99 Z24 Rims
Friday, April 07, 2006 7:20 PM
w00t

Friday, April 07, 2006 7:22 PM
OMG STICKY! this is awsome!

-----------------------------------------------------

98' Pontiac Sunfire SE

Friday, April 07, 2006 7:24 PM
Thanks guys, took alot lol. Glad its finally over haha.. Brian, hopefully this will..

Friday, April 07, 2006 9:19 PM
sweet job. not enough patience's to read it all right now but I get the jist of what it is about!

Saturday, April 08, 2006 7:58 AM
very nice Stephen!!! great work. the appreciates it!!

RIP Saint ........ JBO
Saturday, April 08, 2006 8:01 AM
Eazy Ent. ( 716 ) wrote:very nice Stephen!!! great work. the appreciates it!!

Saturday, April 08, 2006 5:31 PM
Brian Anderson {1999-Z24-4spd} wrote:sweet write up man. finally all the repeated questions will go away.

one can only hope.

nice write up

Saturday, April 08, 2006 6:17 PM
amazing write up... hopefully the newbs will see it and we'll see no more cavfire conversion questions anymore.

it will probably still happen though.

Check out my build thread!

Saturday, April 08, 2006 7:12 PM
Unbelievable write up. Couldn't ask for more. Thanks so much for the help

Proud member of Jbody of Kentucky ... Click on sig to go!
Sunday, April 09, 2006 1:42 AM
amazing writeup. good job.

i'm baaaaack!!
Sunday, April 09, 2006 1:39 PM
I think it sucks..

.... that we havent got to use it on my car yet

Monday, April 10, 2006 5:54 AM
Awesome! Wish I had this when I started my conversion

Convert 00+ headlights to 95-99
Monday, April 10, 2006 9:09 AM
Its about damn time someone did this. Good job.

-Brandon

Tuesday, April 11, 2006 7:50 AM
Great job Mr. Wiggins!!...Great write up.

My Car Domain
Thursday, April 13, 2006 6:55 AM
Thanks, just helped me out, 2K headlights here i come

http://members.cardomain.com/vertz24 1998 Z24 Convertible
Friday, April 14, 2006 6:41 PM
Oo0o0o0o.... The headlight swap i need to do still has me worried a little bit. Going from 2 bulbs down to one..

Saturday, April 15, 2006 8:08 PM
Brian Anderson {1999-Z24-4spd} wrote:sweet write up man. finally all the repeated questions will go away.

__________________--------------------------____________________
Team: NONE RIGHT NOW
Sponsored By: Pro Trucks
Work Being Done By: creative customs
Stuff for Sell:

Saturday, April 15, 2006 8:09 PM

dont you wish they dont even use the search so what makes you so sure they will read this 1st before they post

__________________--------------------------____________________
Team: NONE RIGHT NOW
Sponsored By: Pro Trucks
Work Being Done By: creative customs
Stuff for Sell:

Monday, April 24, 2006 9:54 AM
ok so i can use my 95-99 hood if i swap to an 00-02 style?? hmm

Monday, April 24, 2006 12:23 PM
yeh. 95-02 cavy hoods are all the same.. as i think 95-02 sunfire hoods are the same also.

Glad everyone likes my write up.. how many have actually read the whole thing tho? lol

Saturday, April 29, 2006 11:32 PM
Quote:

as i think 95-02 sunfire hoods are the same also.

Correct. The only difference front-end wise from a GT to an SE is the front facia... fenders, hood and headlights are the same...

Friday, May 05, 2006 8:53 AM
OK, I didn't see anything about this mentioned in the write-up.

When doing an 03+ Cav swap (I dunno about Fire swap) there are some special brackets that the front bumper needs. On my 2000, I did the 03+ Cav front end, and right now the bumper is held up by ... bailing wire ... yes, you read right There is a bracket on each side that goes where the bumper & fender meet. From bottom-to-top, it's Bumper-Fender-Bracket. And there's also brackets just to the inside of each headlight that hold the middle part of the bumper up.

Otherwise, looks like a good write-up

F/S: 2005 KAWASAKI ZX-6R 636, 1107ish Miles, $7500 OBO
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search