How To: Front End Swaps for 3rd Gen Js!!!! - Page 4 - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: How To: Front End Swaps for 3rd Gen Js!!!!
Friday, March 30, 2007 8:29 AM
i know a kid who took a 95-02 hood and cut it to fit his 04, and it looks god aweful!

i wouldnt even bother attempting. between time and materials you could buy a cf hood for the 03

Sunday, April 15, 2007 2:10 PM
i have a 96 2.2ohv, i prefer the GT style frot bumper from 95-02. it's a direct swap other then the wiring for signals i'm guessing. please someone correct me if i'm wrong.

Sunday, April 15, 2007 10:18 PM
^^Bumpers should be a direct swap, and you won't need to do any wiring for the signals. The bulbs/harnesses fit into the GT signal housings the same way they do on the SE model ones.

Monday, April 16, 2007 6:41 AM
awesome, thanks. i might just use a GT bumper over an after market one......or maybe not, maybe just as a spare during winter.

Tuesday, April 24, 2007 12:21 PM
I swapped from a 2000 cav to a 95 cav and the colors for the 95 were different than what is listed up top. The colors for the swap go:

Driver: high- green
low- tan
positive- black

Passenger: high- green
low-tan
positive- black

STREET ANTIX, it's coming...
Tuesday, May 01, 2007 9:23 AM
streetantixz24 wrote:I swapped from a 2000 cav to a 95 cav and the colors for the 95 were different than what is listed up top. The colors for the swap go:

Driver: high- green
low- tan
positive- black

Passenger: high- green
low-tan
positive- black

That should be correct. According to the Haynes repair manual the 95 models had different wiring for the headlight and foglight systems.

Saturday, May 05, 2007 2:42 PM
i'm doing a swap from my 03+ sunfire to a 00-02 sunfire. i just got everything hooked up. i figured out which wires from my stock harness are the hot wires and hooked the hot wire from the older harness to those two. then i hooked up the others wires. everything is working just fine. the lows come on when i turn the lights on and the highs come on when i turn them on. the only problem i am having is that when the lows are on, in the gauge cluster, the light indicator for the highs stay on while the lows are on. any suggestions? just to add, when i went to the junk yard to get the head light assembly, i thought i was getting them off of a 95-99 sunfire, but when i read the the HOW TO, i noticed from what was mentioned that i grabbed the lights off of a 00-02. i realized it when i saw the color of the wires. hope this makes sense.

Saturday, May 05, 2007 5:07 PM
bump. not trying to be pushy but i know the HOW TO area doesn't get viewed to often.

Tuesday, May 08, 2007 7:39 PM
Actually it does get viewed often. I check it a good bit, and I believe MantaZ (the OP) recieves emails when someone posts in this thread.

Wednesday, May 09, 2007 6:23 AM
^^ Yes correct, also this problem has already been settled through PM but ill will post what i answered.

He said on the older harness he couldn't figure out what blue wire was which, so i told him the middle wire on the 9007 pigtails was teh hot and the outsides are the low and high grounds. He fixed his wiring and that solved his problem.

Wednesday, May 09, 2007 8:05 AM
If you do not find the answers you are looking for in this thread, please do not start a new one. Post your questions here, or PM me or MantaZ. I am online at least once every day, and will be glad to help answer questions. Even if I don't know the answer I'll be able to point you to someone who does. If you can't catch me on here I have aim, yahoo, and msn (check my profile).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Wednesday, May 09, 2007 8:08 AM

Friday, June 01, 2007 9:23 PM
anyone have the p/n for the 03+ required brackets? the only yard that has an 03+ fire near me is 5 hours away and with gas prices as they are, I'm not driving that far for a possibly inexpensive part...

Saturday, June 02, 2007 5:30 AM
Sorry, i have no clue. Your best bet in getting part numbers for anything are just go to near dealer and let them pull it up on their computers.. also shows diagram of it so you can make sure its the right part.

Saturday, June 02, 2007 1:49 PM
Dealers around here have about as much intelligence as crap on a stick, but I'll give them a shot

Saturday, June 02, 2007 2:05 PM
which brakets are you referring to?

Saturday, June 02, 2007 2:32 PM
03+ fire brackets

Saturday, June 02, 2007 3:10 PM
well, this is all i have left of my 03+ fire parts. lol. i know you said brackets, but if you need these, let m know.

Saturday, June 02, 2007 9:31 PM
Kardain wrote:03+ fire brackets

Brackets to what??

Saturday, June 02, 2007 11:10 PM
bumper brackets, 03+ Fire

Thursday, June 28, 2007 11:40 PM
I know the 95-99 use dual bulbs. The HID kit I have is a single 9007 bulb connection. Is there a way to still use my existing 9007 and hook up another set for where the second headlight's SUPPOSED to be?? or put my fog light bulbs into one of the 95-99 light sockets?? I'm trying to see what my options are 'cuz I want HID's. And can only find 95-99 projector kits.

I've already purchsed the HID kit and they're non-refundable (9007) so I'm seeing if I have any options.
Tuesday, July 03, 2007 3:31 PM
I began my conversion for my 95-99 headlights to 00-02 headlights and decided to record the whole thing. I want people to have it easier and not go to so many places for answers. I hope this helps anyone who wants to do this as well so enjoy.

Here are some things you will need for the conversion.
I know there needs to be two sets of some of this.

First, i removed the black shroud cover, stock headlights. and the bumper.

Then, i unbolted the two fender bolts closest to the front.
Removed the fender wells and took out the bolts to the stock brackets.

The fog lights are connected to the car so these are to be left alone.
However, the lower turn signals must be disconnected.

To remove the 99-95 bracket, it needs to be cut in four places.

Then, you'll see a black headlight holder that also needs to be taken out.

Now, install the 00-02 brackets (especially important if using clear corners. stock corners hold stronger to the headlights but aftermarket do not). Cut or bend to allow fender and bumper to mount.

Follow the diagrams to the letter and the wiring will look like the picture shown.
I know there is one on the org already but this really helped me out.
You'll be able to find the relays in a 00 Malibu or same year Pontiac.
The two relays with connect to the drivers side and the passenger side is plug and go.

Install headlight plugs and turn signal plugs( I used the lower turn signals into my corners and cut the 194 bulbs. Replaced them with LED's)

Connect the headlights and re-bolt anything you have left to bolt.

This is the finished product and the only problem i have is the fenders and bumper.
I need to realign them and all will be good.

C & C welcome, thank you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Tuesday, July 03, 2007 3:48 PM

http://www.myspace.com/fpsunfire
5 seconds to find another street...

Wednesday, August 01, 2007 8:02 PM
If i wanted to from an 03-05 cavy front to an 00-02 front i would just need hood bumper headlights/corners? or am i missing something

http://members.cardomain.com/yellow05cavy
Thursday, August 02, 2007 4:34 AM
Hood (make sure to get the latch hook on the hood also), Bumper, Headlights and Corners, Corner Brackets(if you choose to, some say there not needed), Crush guard (help with bumper sagging). You DON'T have to do any wiring, being all 2000-2005 Cavaliers use the 9007 Headlight Bulbs, and 3157(or 3057 cant remember exactly) Turnsignal Bulbs. with the 03s though you will also have a little 194 turnsignal, which you wont need to use, you can just pull the bulb out and tuck the wiring in somewhere in case you ever wanna go back to 03 front or maybe a 99 front or even sunfire you have the side marker turnsignal for all of those still. Removing that bulb will not cause any hyper flashing or turnsignal blown reactions

Thursday, August 02, 2007 3:21 PM
by hood latch hook you mean the actual U shaped bar thing thats on the hood right?

http://members.cardomain.com/yellow05cavy
Thursday, August 02, 2007 4:03 PM
yep, its bolted on by two 10mm bolts, its what slides in the latch.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search