How To: Front End Swaps for 3rd Gen Js!!!! - Page 9 - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: How To: Front End Swaps for 3rd Gen Js!!!!
Tuesday, April 21, 2009 5:29 PM
Stephen (manta z) wrote:
JokerAKA Showoff03LS wrote:
if you are swaping 03+ Cavaliers with the 03 Fire or fire to cavalier, i dont see how your gonna split a plug/wire that is a single high/low bulb to one that needs 2 bulbs (1 high 1 low beam)

no offense but then u have no clue on how our lighting system works
Our headlights are ground controlled.. Meaning a ground circuit is completed in the switch giving your lows or highs.. In a single bulb setup, The middle wire going to the plug is Constant 12v. The outter two wires are your two ground wires, one for lows one for highs. Switching that 3 wire setup to a 4 wire is simple. 1 wire on each plug will connect to each other, then those 2 connect to the constant 12v. this leaving 1 wire on each plug open, connect the remaining wire on the low beam plug to the low beam ground wire, and same thing for the high beam. done. Now your correct, you cant split the plug.. but you dont use the same plug at all, just get used or even new bulb plugs in the sizes you need.. Thats how people can do other headlight swaps as well..

but for yours you just swapped the headlight harness out?.. i know for older Js its a hit or miss.. so glad it can be done that way as well for 00+

i understand it , im just looking at the area of what if i sell the car. i dont want spliced wires all over the place wire tied and tapped up. i trust what your saying. i cant aford to have a lot of down time on my car since its the only one i got right now.

my cav is a 03 LS, im going to the 03 Sunfire nose

ShowOff Customz
03 Cavalier
73 Beetle
68 Fairlane 500

Tuesday, April 21, 2009 8:00 PM
okay, i swear to god i read the entire thread, but i got confused about fender continuity. would the fenders be the same for a 99 sunfire SE and a 00-02 sunfire GT? ie: if i wanna swap my 99 SE front end for 00-02 GT front end, can i keep the fenders from the 99? i realize someone asked a question about basically the same conversion on the previous page, but no one said anything about fenders and i just want to make sure.
Tuesday, April 21, 2009 8:13 PM
As I recall (somebody can verify?) Cav fenders are one type, Sunfires are a different type. Years don't matter, except that 95-99 Cav had an extra tab for the corner lights, that 00-05 Cavs don't have. But I'm 99% sure 95-05 Fires use one type of fender...

Tuesday, April 21, 2009 8:16 PM
from what i understand and from what the collision books say 95-05 Sunfire fenders are the same GT & SE .

ShowOff Customz
03 Cavalier
73 Beetle
68 Fairlane 500

Tuesday, April 21, 2009 8:18 PM
95-05 Sunfire fenders are all the same.

Wednesday, April 22, 2009 8:40 AM
Alright, wicked. thanks all for the quick responses.
Thursday, August 27, 2009 10:34 PM
Please keep in mind that I am a n00b. I know that this is a FRONT END thread, but what is it like to put a 2000 Z24 Cav rear bumper on a 1997 convertible Cav? Anyone know?

Philippians 3:10 (Amplified Bible)
10[For my determined purpose is] that I may know Him [that I may progressively become more deeply and intimately acquainted with Him, perceiving and recognizing and understanding the wonders of His Person more strongly and more clearly], and that I may in that same way come to know the power outflowing from His resurrection [[a]which it exerts over believers], and that I may so share His sufferings as to be continually transformed [in spirit into His likeness even] to His death, [in the hope]
Friday, August 28, 2009 6:46 PM
Well just so you know, there is a button that says Search. you should be able to find most questions you will have in there.

To answer your question the bumpers will swap right over, the crushguard may be needed from the donor car as well.

Monday, September 14, 2009 5:53 PM
does it matter what style it is can i take a front end from a two door cavalier and put it on a four door.
Monday, September 14, 2009 6:22 PM
for the front ends it does not matter coupe,sedan, or convertible.... all the same front end

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Monday, September 14, 2009 6:22 PM

Tuesday, September 15, 2009 6:26 AM
Don't know if it's been mentioned but the bolt placement is different on the 95-99 vs the 00-02 front vs the 03+ front. All have a different inner bracket. The 03+ has something of a plate that has 3 threaded holes in it, the 00-02 only has 2 and they are tied in with the headlight bracket. If you have a 03+ and go to the 00-02, you'll just have a hole that doesn't have a bolt in it, unless you put the 00-02 bracket in there. Going from 00-02 to the 03+ you'll just have 2 bolts holding the front bumper on instead of 3 if you don't get the bracket for the 03+. The 95-99 I'm not sure on. One hole on the front bumper seems to line up with the bottom of the headlight??? I've done all the swaps on the Cavalier, I can assure you all the fenders are identical.

BTW: Great write up on the headlight wiring Manta, once I had a little clearification on some things it was easy, if you've done wiring before.

---------------------------------------------------
4 Cams...32 Valves...5 Liters...This Could Get Fun!

Monday, October 05, 2009 2:24 PM
Wow...its been a long time since i've had to think about this. Wish this was around when I did the swap. Now I get to think about swapping back to stock. Had enough of driving around with 4 different colors on my car. If anyone is looking for headlights or anything for a cavalier 03+ swap let me know. PS...the fender brackets dont need to be cut off, just slightly modified. This will allow me to go back to stock. Glad i was thinking ahead 4 years ago.

Thursday, October 22, 2009 8:14 AM
im having a little truble with my headlight conversion im not sure what the deal is i know i have something wrong in my wireing but i can figure it out yet. my dims seem to want to turn on when i turn on my brights. any one shed some light on this for me i would appreciate it bc it seems to make ppl mad when you can only drive around with brights on lol

Thursday, October 22, 2009 8:23 AM
Micheal Comeaux wrote:im having a little truble with my headlight conversion im not sure what the deal is i know i have something wrong in my wireing but i can figure it out yet. my dims seem to want to turn on when i turn on my brights. any one shed some light on this for me i would appreciate it bc it seems to make ppl mad when you can only drive around with brights on lol

wowoi had that all backwards when i posted that. i meant to put my brights stay on when i turn on my low beams. and the low beams will go off when i switch to my high beams but not the other way around. i have looked it over ahundred times but maybe im missin something.

Thursday, November 12, 2009 1:27 AM
so to be certain if i wanted to swap my 99 sunfire gt front end to 99 cavy z24 i would need the headlights (reason for the swap is being able to get projector lights) corner light and bumper and fenders. but i DONT need the hood? i have a hard time beliving the sunfire hood will match up the the cavy front end stuff.
Thursday, November 12, 2009 3:31 AM
Sorry for some reason I spaced on putting the Hoods on there.. yes you will need the hood

Thursday, December 10, 2009 6:47 PM
question : i plan to buy a Wrecked cav(03+) (so i can get back into a Jbody) if i get a Ls/base Cav and do the 03+ Fire conversion and use the stock Fire headlight harness will i beable to use the fact. fogs that the Fire has? is the fog light wireing in the harness reguardless if it a LS sport or base?

ShowOff Customz
03 Cavalier
73 Beetle
68 Fairlane 500

Friday, December 11, 2009 5:45 PM
yes the fog wiring is in the headlight wiring harness.. unless aftermarket installed obviously.

Friday, December 11, 2009 7:35 PM
no is the fog light wireing in the Base model harness. can i take the LS sport/Fire harness and just plug it into the Base Cavi and have the fogs work (of course with the switch as well) ??

ShowOff Customz
03 Cavalier
73 Beetle
68 Fairlane 500

Saturday, December 12, 2009 3:09 AM
if the car didn't have fogs then no, you will have to run your own wires

Saturday, December 12, 2009 6:11 AM
ok thats what i needed to know

ShowOff Customz
03 Cavalier
73 Beetle
68 Fairlane 500

Thursday, January 14, 2010 10:29 AM
i have a 2005 an im swaping the front in to a 2002. now i have the hood the bumper the headlights an corners. so i thought i was good to go went to go put it on and it turns out i need more part. such as a hood latch for the 2002 and i need the inner fender wells for a 2002 . is their anything else i need to do this?...

Thursday, January 14, 2010 3:27 PM
Manta Z(The Primered One) wrote:
What you need if you are swapping to..

00-02 Cavalier
- 00-02 Cavalier Headlights(with plastic mount, its what bolts down the headlight)
- 00-02 Corner Lights
- 00-02 Front Bumper(or you can modify a 95-99 to work, trimming on the headlight area is what needs to be done)
- Crushguard for your Front Bumper
- May need 2000-2002 Front Wheel well Liners
- 95-02 Hood(Need the metal striker that bolts to the hood that goes into the latch as well)
- 95-02 Latch Assembly
- 00-05 Fenders(95-99 can be used IF and only you cut off the bracket that holds the 95-99 turn signals on)
- 2 x 9007 High/Low Beam Bulbs
- 2 x 3157 Turn signal Bulbs(any 3rd Gen has these for turn signals so not necessary unless you need new bulbs, you can use what came with your car)
- From the donor car's wiring harness, or two 9007 headlight sockets(unless you have a 95-02 Sunfire, or 03-05 Cavalier, these already use this bulb for headlights)
- Corner Bracket, this holds your 00-02 Corner Lights by one of the prongs on the back of the light, this is not necessary some have said.. but I wouldn't want to risk the corner light falling out, but its ur choice(Click for Picture)

read over it a couple times, I think that is it.

Thursday, January 14, 2010 3:40 PM
you can unplug the whole headlight harness from the 03+ cars so you dont have to do any cutting and splicing. not sure if the 00-02's are the same way. the plug is located under the battery tray on the 03's

ShowOff Customz
03 Cavalier
73 Beetle
68 Fairlane 500

Thursday, January 14, 2010 4:07 PM
actually for 03 going to 02 he doesn't need to do any wiring. he already has all of it. he will have some 194 bulb pigtails hangin around but you can just not put a bulb in those and eletrical tape them up so they don't short out with water or w/e, and tuck them away somewhere..

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search