All Years DRL Disable and Other Headlight Tricks - Page 9 - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: All Years DRL Disable and Other Headlight Tricks
Friday, July 02, 2010 4:12 PM

Re: All Years DRL Disable and Other Headlight Tric
Saturday, July 03, 2010 2:44 PM
I installed 8000k hid lights on my 2000 Chevy Cavalier the only problem I had was the daytime running lights so I had someone bypass my daytime's to make a long story short he made a mess of everything. So I reverse everything he did and tried the disable trick and it worked perfectly with no side effects Thanks alot.....
Saturday, July 03, 2010 7:24 PM
What if I raised my handbrake by just 1 notch to solve the problem?
Saturday, July 03, 2010 7:59 PM
If you do that the DRLs come back on eventually

Thursday, July 08, 2010 12:35 PM
Hassoun wrote:What if I raised my handbrake by just 1 notch to solve the problem?

this works on 95-99 J's like mine, but when i had my 01 cavi there is an alarm that goes off as soon as you put it in gear, the same alarm that goes off when you shut off the car and try to get out with your lights still on

Thursday, July 08, 2010 1:26 PM
The alarm you are talking about are the factory chimes. These are gone if you remove your stock radio.
But the problem with my car is that where the BCM is, it is blocked by a big alarm module with wires sticking out of every edge that block access to it...
Thursday, July 08, 2010 10:58 PM
how do i get h.i.d.'s to work on my 2000 cavalier
(note) i have done h.i.d.'s on my 2006 dodge magnum and my 1990 240sx
Wednesday, July 28, 2010 3:45 PM
k, I just looked at the DRL relay on my 98 GT and it's numbered 1-5.....short of getting 5 relays from the wreckers and figuring out one at a time which is #86.......any thoughts on which one it would be?

Stop, Drop and Roll doesn't work in Hell!!!
Thursday, July 29, 2010 12:23 AM
Aaron Archibald wrote:k, I just looked at the DRL relay on my 98 GT and it's numbered 1-5.....short of getting 5 relays from the wreckers and figuring out one at a time which is #86.......any thoughts on which one it would be?

Uhh... what? What are you trying to do here?

Thursday, July 29, 2010 5:03 AM
GOing to the poat earlier about getting rid of tab #86 on the DRL relay in the fuse box. I am putting 6000k hids in but need to remove the DRL''s. I am willing to put up with a flashing light on the dash (it's beside the shift one I ignore so wont be that hard) until I get more time and do some mods that involve the dash coming off......

Thursday, July 29, 2010 9:29 AM
Question for anyone with the 00-05 drl disable, does it throw the service engine light, or does it fool the car into thinking it still has the lights? I'm running HID's in my brights and without anything in the low's for the drl's the service engine light comes on.

Thursday, July 29, 2010 10:03 PM
That will disable the DRLs, IIRC... But let me ask you this: Is there a small bump offset towards the edge of one of the in-dash speaker-grilles? If so, then you also have automatic headlights (AHLs) which will switch-on the low-beams anytime you start the engine... or put the lock-switch in the "ignition-on" position... when it's dark enough outside.

Not to worry... There is a defeat method for it:

Remove the speaker-grille & disconnect the wires running to the optical resistor (That funny-little, "domed" sensor-thingy). Place a 1/2W, 1000K-Ohm (or was it 200K-Ohm?) resistor so its "whiskers" are separately in-contact with the the sensor-plug terminals (One in each). Figure out a way for the resistor to remain attached to the plug but still removable in the future (I just bent the resistor over on it's whiskers & bent them so they "hug" the plug), then tuck the plug back into the recess-hole for the speaker & reinstall the grille. You now have full-manual control of your lamps.

Go beyond the "bolt-on".
Thursday, July 29, 2010 11:36 PM
Aaron Archibald wrote:GOing to the poat earlier about getting rid of tab #86 on the DRL relay in the fuse box. I am putting 6000k hids in but need to remove the DRL''s. I am willing to put up with a flashing light on the dash (it's beside the shift one I ignore so wont be that hard) until I get more time and do some mods that involve the dash coming off......

Now I understand what you're talking about thanks!

That particular hack refers to the 86 pin on the 95-97 DRL's... which use a separate relay on the front frame rail. 98 & 99 use one inside the fuse panel on the left side of the dash (as does 00-05, but is wired differently... so I'll leave that alone for now.. since your car is a 98). That 'hack' won't work right on your car... but if you want to try it anyway, pin 5 is the ground... which is what pin 86 is on the older year. Try it and let us know... but I suspect it'll cause problems.

Fallen311 wrote:Question for anyone with the 00-05 drl disable, does it throw the service engine light, or does it fool the car into thinking it still has the lights? I'm running HID's in my brights and without anything in the low's for the drl's the service engine light comes on.

No service light. The headlight switch is switching ground.. the headlights always have a positive feed to them. You just trick the BCM into thinking the low beams are on by giving the BCM a constant ground on the low beam feed. Doesn't cause any side effects... at all.

Nickelin Dimer wrote:That will disable the DRLs, IIRC... But let me ask you this: Is there a small bump offset towards the edge of one of the in-dash speaker-grilles? If so, then you also have automatic headlights (AHLs) which will switch-on the low-beams anytime you start the engine... or put the lock-switch in the "ignition-on" position... when it's dark enough outside.

Not to worry... There is a defeat method for it:

Remove the speaker-grille & disconnect the wires running to the optical resistor (That funny-little, "domed" sensor-thingy). Place a 1/2W, 1000K-Ohm (or was it 200K-Ohm?) resistor so its "whiskers" are separately in-contact with the the sensor-plug terminals (One in each). Figure out a way for the resistor to remain attached to the plug but still removable in the future (I just bent the resistor over on it's whiskers & bent them so they "hug" the plug), then tuck the plug back into the recess-hole for the speaker & reinstall the grille. You now have full-manual control of your lamps.

Uhh... wtf? No 00-05 J-body came with automatic headlights. Where did this come from all of a sudden???

Saturday, July 31, 2010 6:14 PM
k, so DRL's were deleted til I discovered that my HID bi-xenon kit was missing a connector in the wiring harness (aarrrgggg) but I can fix that later (splicing is good). For an update though, if you come across the DRL relay with the numbers 1 - 5, number 5 is the ground you want to get rid of (thanks Lenko for the info on that one). I can guess, by looking at the relay diagram, that if you are running a 98-99 j-body, and you do come across a relay with #'s 85-87a (found 3 of them myself) that #87 will be the same ground. Once I took that tab off and plugged it back in, the DRL light on the dash flashed rapidly for a few seconds then slowed down to a not so annoying easily ignorable rate. This eliminated my DRL's and allows my lights to operate normally. If you just pull the relay, your drivers side lights will be delayed and output severely reduced.

Sunday, August 01, 2010 3:07 AM
^^Sorry... I'm just here mostly for LN2 build-up tips. I decided to browse & came across this thread, figured I might have something to contribute, and have been tied to it since.

But to answer your question more directly: Even the base-model "Fleeter" S-trucks came with DRL & AHL in '99. I have one, and defeated both on it, so I should know!

Go beyond the "bolt-on".
Monday, August 09, 2010 4:40 PM
So one other thing I noticed....My high beam indicator light on the dash (blue one) is one with the headlights no matter what. Looks like the voltage difference is keeping that light lit. I will have to figure that one out in a bit (unless someone knows what they are doing with it already. Also, does anyone know which wires to wire into for the drls so that my turn signals (on full) become the drl's?

Monday, August 16, 2010 10:48 AM
Very helpful thread, disabled the DRL's with no problems. Thanks

Atlanta Region SCCA
28 ST
BatlGround Motorsports
Thursday, September 09, 2010 9:05 AM
Trolling cleaned up, now let's get this thread back on topic.

To contact a moderator, please send a direct message to the moderator account. Please
note you must be logged in to send messages to this account.

Please include a link if you are contacting us regarding a thread.

DO NOT SEND PRIVATE MESSAGES TO THIS ACCOUNT, USE THE LINK ABOVE.
Thursday, September 09, 2010 9:42 AM
Forum Moderator wrote:Trolling cleaned up, now let's get this thread back on topic.

THANKYOU!!!

Friday, October 22, 2010 7:12 AM
Sorry for the dumb question but I am a total newb when it come to wiring/electrical stuff. I was thinking about doing the DRL disable on my 03 Z24 but in ontario we need to have the DRL's working to pass safety testing. And some of my friends have gotten pulled over by the local cops and have gotten tickets for it, since it technically is illegal. How would I go about wiring up a switch to them? The switch doesnt need to go to the dash, I just want to be able to quickly turn them back on if need be.

Thanks, again sorry for my newbness

Dan

Monday, November 08, 2010 3:21 PM
awesome instructions. i got the easy way out havin a 99 z24 lol. im at college and have a screwdriver and a pair of pliers and a knife for tools and put white gauges in today, and while i had my topper off did the drl disable. no problems at all.

Tuesday, December 07, 2010 5:36 AM
I did this drl trick on my 04 years ago and had to undo it. I replaced my factory radio and had to put a chime module in to keep my chime working. The problem is this mod will take out ur chime module. I went through 2 of them before i figured out what the deal was . Anyways just so u know. I personally just pulled the relay which puts a wrench light on ur dash, but oh well !

Friday, December 17, 2010 3:38 PM
I cant see the first 2 pictures on the 95-99 section, can anyone show me better?
Monday, January 03, 2011 5:42 AM
ok so heres where im at.....

my wife has a 2005 sunfire. we followed the directions...... now when the car is put into gear the park light comes on and the door chime wont stop beeping..HELP please
Wednesday, July 13, 2011 4:53 AM
now heres a question, i got 98 cavi, i wanna do the 2k upgrade to 9007 low/high beam, should i do the disable first or do the upgrade to 9007 first, or doesnt it matter, now if i do the upgrade first, should i follow the 98 intructions or follow the 2k+ instructions?
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search