guys with levelzero cams for eco - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
guys with levelzero cams for eco
Sunday, January 16, 2005 7:19 PM
Hows everyone makin out with em,just lookin for a update.I havent been able to install mine yet due to being very busy ,just checkin on how evryones cams are doin. <br>

redcavi 04

Re: guys with levelzero cams for eco
Monday, January 17, 2005 9:21 AM
i bent valves during install so i'll tell u when i get my new head swapped in. that will prolly be this week <br>

MY 2003 SUNFIRE
Monday, January 17, 2005 10:51 AM
My butt dyno is useless. I thought I had a gain when I had mistimed it and lost 5hp. Currently I've got a CEL, but that is from my car running too rich and the SAFC. I'll get it dynoed soon. <br>

My site, under construction. ---- My Car Domain page... it sucks
Monday, January 17, 2005 1:17 PM
Mines still running good, although with a motor mount it is throwing a misfire code more often. I am waiting for our new scanner to come in and then we will be trying out a few ideas with the knock sensor to see if we can make the "phantom knock" (aka misfire code) go away. Our ported head is ready for testing but we can't testing until we resolve the "phantom knock" issue, becasue the head will just make it that much worse.
Monday, January 17, 2005 1:18 PM
Oh and for those interested we should soon be carrying patriot heads along with our own custom heads. But we are still at least a week or two away from getting those up on the site.
Monday, January 17, 2005 1:48 PM
Bent valves, lost hp, misfire codes. Seriously, has anyone gained hp with no codes? this was going to be my next mod, but don't know now. Yes i know the bent valves is an user error.

Monday, January 17, 2005 2:16 PM
here <br>

Monday, January 17, 2005 2:26 PM
The bent valves were unfortunate, but it happens. Although compared to most cam swaps this one is relatively easy, you're still doing a cam swap and should be comfortable with the level of mechanical skills required to do so. Unfortunatly all of the installs have not gone as smoothly as could be hoped, but for the installs that did go smoothly and were timed correctly we have had a great response from those people. One person compared it to his 35 shot of nitrous, another said he shaved almost 3/4 of a second off his ET.

The biggest problem with these cams is that they are on the edge of what the computer will accept. Because of this some cars will throw codes and some will not. It is not the cams that throw the codes, but the cams in combination with other modifications. It can be the difference of how you intake or a larger TB that decreases air vilocity at idle and makes the lope more pronounced, making the engine shake more, making the knock sensor think the engine is knocking. The first car that this cam profile was installed in, is still running them and has not reported any of the codes others are experiencing. The test car has had the cams almost 3 months longer then anyone else, this biggest difference is that the only other modification to the test car is an AEM intake.

We stand by the quality of our products and continue to do what we can to help everyone find solutions for properly tuning these cams in combination with their other modifications. We also have some very skill members who continue to help us an others do the same. But at the end of the day, these cams are not for the faint of heart, if you are not wanting to do the additional tuning required then I would recommend a smaller cam profile. These are our stage two cams, our stage ones are 100% reliable and have not thrown a code in over two years of use, but they also produce approximatly half the gains and are equivalent to most other profiles currently availible, excluding a custom grind.

<br>

Monday, January 17, 2005 2:32 PM
Just wandering, everybody thats had a problem with the cams; Did you all do your own installs, or are the people who had them installed by shops having the same problems? Reason being I m thinling of geting some cams myself. <br>

Monday, January 17, 2005 2:41 PM
It's been a little of both. One person had a shop time the cams wrong and bend the valves and we have had people doing their own swaps do the same. Bent valves are due to improper installation. As for codes, it's sort of random, it appears to be mostly a tuning issue. You car might not be perfectly tuned, but will run great. When you add in a modification like the stage 2 cams, it increases the ill effects of improper tuning, like having you fpr vacume line plugged into nothing :S
Monday, January 17, 2005 6:25 PM
Thanks guys ill have mine in hopefully soon,my shops been unusually busy for this time of year and i havent really had time to breathe let alone have time for installing my cams,ill have em in soon and ill let you guys know i was just seeing how everyone was makin out so far! <br>

redcavi 04

Tuesday, January 18, 2005 11:08 AM
Quote:

Mines still running good, although with a motor mount it is throwing a misfire code more often.

so once i get it back this week my motor mount is gonna be causing some problems with misfiring? just what i need! lol <br>

MY 2003 SUNFIRE
Tuesday, January 18, 2005 11:40 AM
Quote:

so once i get it back this week my motor mount is gonna be causing some problems with misfiring? just what i need! lol

This is just what I have noticed on my car. When I start the car and let it idle, before it warms up the whole car shakes from the lope. I don't mean I feel it inside the car, I mean I can stand outside the car and watch it shake. My car is set up fairly stiff though. Koni reds on sportlines, running on 40 series rubber. Subframe brace, strut brace and lower motor mount. On top of that I have an intake and muffler which add to the airflow making the lope more pronounced. Once it is warmed up, it lopes but the car doesn't shake nearly as much.

I don't think it is actually misfiring, I think that the vibrations are making the knock sensor thing the engine is knocking. I have checked the plugs and they look fine, I hae also done some tests to see if I could make the engine knock and it doesn't.
Tuesday, January 18, 2005 12:53 PM
i have only got the code two times and only for like two hours. hey redcavi how far do you live from essex i saw that you live in glen burnie
Tuesday, January 18, 2005 12:56 PM
I just want to know if anyone has ever dynoed a hp gain with these cams? Other than Livid or anyone standing to gain a profit from selling them.

<br>

- 93 mph in the 1/8 mile
Member of J-Body Of Michigan.

Tuesday, January 18, 2005 2:32 PM
Skilz10179 wrote:I just want to know if anyone has ever dynoed a hp gain with these cams? Other than Livid or anyone standing to gain a profit from selling them.

me 3 whp but with zero timing <br>

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Tuesday, January 18, 2005 5:00 PM
Joseph fitzwater,im only 20 minutes or so from you bro! <br>

redcavi 04
Wednesday, January 19, 2005 2:24 AM
I ordered these cams last week, would you guys suggest getting adjustable cam gears as well?? and where can you get them cheap??

<br>

03z24
Wednesday, January 19, 2005 8:39 AM
^^^ you can't get them cheap and from what I've heard N/A there are no gains to be had by adjustable gears <br>

Thursday, January 20, 2005 12:25 PM
bump bump

Any updates guys? <br>

03z24
Thursday, January 20, 2005 1:04 PM
getting my car back tomorrow, hopefully. tell u if i got any problems. now got them professionally installed so i'll cross my fingers and hope for the best. and if does work out right its gonna be snowing all wekkend so wont be able to get on it and tell how much of a diff. i feel. <br>

MY 2003 SUNFIRE

Friday, January 21, 2005 5:45 PM
Ohh3SunFire wrote:getting my car back tomorrow, hopefully. tell u if i got any problems. now got them professionally installed so i'll cross my fingers and hope for the best. and if does work out right its gonna be snowing all wekkend so wont be able to get on it and tell how much of a diff. i feel.

So, how'd it go? I should be getting my cams soon...so my fingers are crossed as well.

Also, I asked about the adjustable cam gears as I thought they might help with fine tuning. Awell.

<br>

03z24
Friday, January 21, 2005 5:53 PM
Only gm makes the cam gears right now and they are around 4350 I think. Not really worth it unless you are goin FI or really want that extra level of tuning. Unfortunatly you have to remove the valve cover to adjust the gears so it makes tuning a bir more time consuming.

We havn't made an additional headway on completly elimenating the light yet, but are still playing with different ideas. One of the problems is everytime we try something new we have to test if for at least a week to make sure it is a solution. We have been focusing mostly on the knock sensor and trying to make it still read knock but not be so sensitive that engine vibrations set it off.

Has anyone looked into id a knock sensor from another car will work? I think someone determined that all the jbodies are the same, but what about from a camaro or an older grand am? Something with a bigger engine.
Friday, January 21, 2005 6:16 PM
.....$4350 ....tell me your not serious...wtf is GM thinking? I was checking out some of the GM Performance Parts that other day and I couldn't believe what they were charging...Bloody rediculase if you ask me. <br>

03z24
Friday, January 21, 2005 6:17 PM
Opps forgot the shift key ... should have read $350 :S
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search