I got $670 to spend on performance mods -Help!!- - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
I got $670 to spend on performance mods -Help!!-
Monday, February 14, 2005 7:41 PM
my engine is completely stock. What do you think I should do?

Also, does Flowmaster make an exhaust system for Sunfires?

Re: I got $670 to spend on performance mods -Help!
Monday, February 14, 2005 7:44 PM
2.25" catback $320
Aem CAI intake $250
Pacesetter header $ 250

wait that is more than $670 but that is pretty much all I could do in Kali with the smog police, other than 10.2mm wires. Nitrous is coming .
Monday, February 14, 2005 7:47 PM
what kinda performance are you looking for? handling? engine power? a little of both? do some research first

Land Pirates sail the open roads
DISCLAIMER: If anything I say offends you, I don't care..wear a helmet. Also, the information
I post is what I know to the best of my knowledge. If I am wrong, please correct me so that
others as well as myself may learn.
Premium sinc 6-17-04
Monday, February 14, 2005 7:50 PM
oh brakes!! i forgot . my stock brakes look so stupid with my wheels. I want brakes, exhaust, Air Intake

can I do that with ~$700?

Monday, February 14, 2005 7:57 PM
Well bigger brakes cost about $700 for the kit alone haha! And it would look rather funny to have big brakes on the front and drums on the rear! It would be better if you did a brake kit on the rear so everything looks equal!

I was going to reccommend either shop the hell outta the classifieds as I do sooo well!

-----or-----

Save about $300-500 more and put together your own turbo kit! Or then again a DIY kit can cost rather cheap! G*luck!

N2O + Bolt-ons = 220Hp/250Tq

Coming Soon:HpTunersPro, EagleConnectingRods, WiescoPistons, 13sec2200
Monday, February 14, 2005 8:34 PM
i say do the following...

make your own intake ... 100 bucks...

highflow cat and performance muffler (dont get a cat back package) have a muffler shop install/bend/supply the pipes for you... should be around 200 bucks installed ( in my area anyways)

maybe some upper and lower engine mounts... install them yourself... 200 bucks (price is off on this one probbly...considering idont have engine mounts and i have never priced them out before)

if you got the cash left over...maybe invest in a header ?

heck...do up a junkyard turbo setup for under 700 bucks...excellent bragging rights
Monday, February 14, 2005 8:40 PM
oh yah...maybe a pulley with some left over cash...

heck...i think your best bet, is buy the rsm throttlebody/intake combo they sell. One guy on here had dyno sheets showing 10hp gained from it.

good luck
Monday, February 14, 2005 8:53 PM
alright forget brakes for now. I want air intake and a full exhaust system. I don't have to spend all the money right now. I just want to start some basic engine mods. I really want Flowmaster but I don't know where to look. And I don't want dual because it's pointless.

Monday, February 14, 2005 8:57 PM
no flowmaster does not make a kit. Just buy a Flowmaster muffler, and get a shop to bend you some 2.25 or 2.5 inch piping, and grab an Intake. all intakes do about the same job. CAI is best.

Put the rest of the $$$ in tha bank

96 2.2 5speed
***SOLD***
Been OwNEd by a 2.2 lately?
Monday, February 14, 2005 8:59 PM
Crazy Dude wrote:i say do the following...

make your own intake ... 100 bucks...

highflow cat and performance muffler (dont get a cat back package) have a muffler shop install/bend/supply the pipes for you... should be around 200 bucks installed ( in my area anyways)

maybe some upper and lower engine mounts... install them yourself... 200 bucks (price is off on this one probbly...considering idont have engine mounts and i have never priced them out before)

if you got the cash left over...maybe invest in a header ?

heck...do up a junkyard turbo setup for under 700 bucks...excellent bragging rights

Um your a bit off on price.

Homade intake: $10-75 Check out spectra, they have modular intake stuff so you can make your own, Their flex pipe piece is as good as the Injen Intake i have, looks like dryer vent but made of strong plastic and costs about $30 and takes about 30 mins to install.

Upper and lower mounts: $30-45, installation is real simple, but there are alot of complaints of bad dash vibrations due to the lower mount.

Strut bars: $30-250 They all do the same exact thing, they just look different. Ractive goes for about $30 while Gravana Jim Has vibrant Front and rear bars for $99.

Slotted/cross drilled rotors: $75-200 for stock sizing. i perfer slotted, less chance they will crack at the holes.

Performance Brake pads: $25-200 for stock sizing. I perfer EBS Green stuff. It smells like fish in the box, but it has little fade, doesnt damage rotors, are quite and low on dust. You can stop up to 3 car lenghts sooner then the stock pads.

Stainless steel brake lines: $150-250 Worth every penny, help reduce fade and possible brake lose.

Hypergrounding: $15-200 Make your own is better on your wallet, and does the same as the high priced premade versions. Worth it in my oppinion. I like the quicker start ups, brighter headlights, and better sound.

Front and rear swaybar: $75-450 Start off with a junkyarded stock front swaybar and upgrade the rear, since your sunfire lacks them anyway. Or you can buy a set which puts you near $450. I personally perfer addco.

Subframe brace: $30-100 the cheap DIY way takes some tools and time, and may not be a pretty as a premade one, but still does the same thing.

Performance wires: $25-250 Some companys just overcharge for whats supposed to be the best but turns out MSD or Accel are just as good, and for half the price. Wahoo, less Rf interferance.

Header: $99-250 Worth it if your upgrading your exhaust system, pacesetter is decent and costs about 125.

I hope this gives you a few ideas, and avaerage price range for each mod, just choose whats best for you.

Fact 1:

This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence
structure, or may entirely lack a coherent theme.These elements are natural
to my process of writing, and will only add to the overall beauty of the post.

Fact 2:

“Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that’s even remotely
true.
Monday, February 14, 2005 9:15 PM
You own a 2.2L

Save your money.

If you are set on trying to make your car fast, save up for Boost.

Otherwise your pissing your cash out the window...

Toronto Street Racing | J-Body club of Ontario | J-Body Tech Library
Equality is a Prescription, Not a Description. Learn the Difference, Newbs.

Monday, February 14, 2005 10:42 PM
konis

see ya!

Tuesday, February 15, 2005 5:23 AM
it's your car, think of the big picture, spend it wisely. just for the luv a gad don't get a fart can, body kit, neon lights, or a 3' vinyl sticker that says "cavalier"/ "sunfire", we know it's a "cavalier" / "sunfire", now those Type R geo metros are something else.

i'd say to go with suspension parts, the only way to get any good power from the 2.2 is going to be internals.
Tuesday, February 15, 2005 7:03 AM
it's funyy how people always say "stop wasting money on show mods and put money in the engine" then when you finally do , they say " don't put money in the engine, it's a waste of money"

society......

Tuesday, February 15, 2005 7:21 AM
it's a catch-22. eye candy doesn't win races, and horsepower isn't cheap. you could go with nitrous, which the magazines call "cheap horsepower" but figuring that a basic kit runs $500 and the juice itself runs $3-5 per lb. it's not that cheap.

you can't go wrong with suspension, let's say that you want to build a n/a 2.2 so you get an intake and header. maybe a year from now you want to go with a turbo or a motor swap. the mods you have are now usless and will probably go on e-bay. i'm not totally sure that you know where you want to go, i get this from the title of the forum, i.e. what parts should i get?.... pick up a book on small blocks, and pick up a book on turbo's, corky bell and john lingenfelter put out some great titles.

until you know where you want to go, what you want to do, you can't know what parts to get, as a (properly built) turbo engine is vastly different from a (properly built) naturally aspirated engine. just like a drag car is different from an autocrosser.
Tuesday, February 15, 2005 7:27 AM
no,no. I don't plan on racing this car or swaping the engine or anything. It's just what I drive right now. Real performace mods will be going in my new STi in a few years. I just want a little something extra in this engine while i drive it. and intake/exhaust would be plenty. Can someone please give me links to good names? And I just want to stay away from the high pitch ricer buzzing I hear all over my city. That's why I brought up Flowmaster

Tuesday, February 15, 2005 7:39 AM
My opinions:

Buy a header, catalytic converter, and muffler of your choice. Take them to your exhaust shop and have them weld up a 2.25 system. ~$400

You can find an intake on ebay for your engine fiarly easy. Those run like 50, then spend another 40 or so on a quality cone filter like K&N. ~100

Buy the front and rear strut braces off Gravana for ~100

Buy a rear sway bar ~150 for new ones, you can pick them up used for like 50-75 in the classifieds and ebay.

The car might be a little more fun to drive with more engine mods, but its A LOT more fun to drive with a great suspension. You may want to just throw some agx's and the pro-kit on there for ~600 and enjoy your ride through the corners, because with a 2.2 your always going to be frustrated in a straight line unless you have some kind of FI or nitrous.

Tuesday, February 15, 2005 7:58 AM
^^^ What he said

The basic bolt-ons are what you are looking for I/H/E. There is really no point in going any further for what you want. Once those are done put some money into the suspension and you'll have what your looking for.

I have 40 series flowmasters on mine and my g/f has a 50 series on her 89 Z24 and they both sound great. I haven't heard one on the 2.2 but I'd say get yourself a good hi-flow cat and it should sound pretty good.

Quoth the Raven 'Nevermore
raven@accesswave.ca
Raven Autosports
55 McQuade Lake Cres,
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
(902) 850-3330
10.82@132
Tuesday, February 15, 2005 8:28 AM
shouldnt my 2.2 use a 60 series? or maybe 50 series will give me the deeper sound i want?

Tuesday, February 15, 2005 12:46 PM
Kase wrote:it's funyy how people always say "stop wasting money on show mods and put money in the engine" then when you finally do , they say " don't put money in the engine, it's a waste of money"

society......

Really? Show me these people.

Come on now.

Toronto Street Racing | J-Body club of Ontario | J-Body Tech Library
Equality is a Prescription, Not a Description. Learn the Difference, Newbs.
Tuesday, February 15, 2005 4:11 PM
Dynomax turbo mufflers sound good . You can get them cheap on the internet. Get a header (look under my sig). Get a local shop to bend up your exhaust, add a resinator(cant spell), and put a highflow cat (about $300). The premade exhaust are nice and all, but not worth it unless your gonna do sothing major. Get an ebay intake (about 45 shipped) . After all is said and done, you should be under the $670.

Tuesday, February 15, 2005 4:21 PM
I have a Vibrant cat back that i am very happy with. you should check them out. It has a nice deep tone, aggressive when accelerating, and quite when you are at cruise. Most places sell them for around $500.00, I did some searching and got it for $375.00. It has a beautiful mirror polish on it. Great sound and great looks, not bad for the price. The only bad thing is it did not come with the gasket for the cat and exhaust pipe to meet up. but this is a $3 part at auto zone.

New sig in the works
Tuesday, February 15, 2005 6:36 PM
don't get pacesetters they rust out. if you going to do that, get RKsport Cat back (300), and RSM Intake(150). makes great sound, and if your a 4 speed you can get an intercepter (130?)also. that will cost about 600 with shipping. you can buy caliper paint and paint your drums thats always decent idea. RK and MAgnaflow make the same one cat back, good tone and load when you punch it. nice idle.

Remeber there are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Tuesday, February 15, 2005 8:01 PM
if that's the case, you gotta learn how to shop.

call 1-800-214-8030

and ask for item 950

this number is the RKsport garage sale where they sell over stocked, discontinued, and displayed items

item 950 is a 95-97 2.2 intake. it goes for $50.
Tuesday, February 15, 2005 8:24 PM
JoJoJenkns wrote:don't get pacesetters they rust out. if you going to do that, get RKsport Cat back (300), and RSM Intake(150). makes great sound, and if your a 4 speed you can get an intercepter (130?)also. that will cost about 600 with shipping. you can buy caliper paint and paint your drums thats always decent idea. RK and MAgnaflow make the same one cat back, good tone and load when you punch it. nice idle.

I have already painted my drums/calipers. i painted them gloss black because i don't want people seeing that ugliness.

and I talked to some people and they are gonna hook me up with a custom exhaust system while i get a flowmaster muffler. rest of the cash goes to an intake.

thanks everyone.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search