Sub-frame/lower a-arm bolt holes - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Sub-frame/lower a-arm bolt holes
Tuesday, March 01, 2005 6:55 PM
On my 96 2.2 5 speed I had a broken bolt on the drivers' side where the lower a-arm bolts to the sub-frame in the front. The bolt that runs horizontal (front to back), not vertical. My findings were this...The bolt hole is bigger than the actual bolt. Same on both sides. (Passenger bolt wasn't broke, but the hole was still bigger). Therefore the bolt can flex from the nut forward causing it to break at the nut after time driving it hard. SOLUTION: Taking a thick washer and drilling out the hole to the bolt diameter. Put the washer on the bolt and bolt it to the sub-frame and weld the washer to the sub-frame. It would be safer to remove the lower a-arm so the intense heat doesn't melt the rubber bushing. I have the sub-frame brace and I still had room to remount it to the original holes I drilled. Just like new but better. Just something to consider if you're getting those bolts broke or want to feel a little safer. That was the reason for my mysterious steering when I would accelerate or brake. The broken bolt.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search