too rich - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
too rich
Tuesday, March 08, 2005 8:06 PM
ever since i added my exhaust and intake my gas gauge visibly drops. i think that its runing too rish do you have any sugjestions on what the problem is and how i can fix it?

Re: too rich
Tuesday, March 08, 2005 8:16 PM
are you throwing any codes?

racing a ford is like racing a fat kid.
Tuesday, March 08, 2005 9:19 PM
nope
Tuesday, March 08, 2005 9:22 PM
I'm watching this one. Got an 04 auto cavy and its really sucking gas but everything seems still fine like the IAT and the O2 sensors.

Tuesday, March 08, 2005 9:29 PM
yea thats the same here it runs great and i try to keep it at low rpms to save gas (unless some jack ass pulls up thinkin hes big shyt) and i just put royal purple in too. it gave me more hp but gass is still droppin........WTF!
Wednesday, March 09, 2005 7:13 AM
^^^ Exactly!!!!

Anyone??

Wednesday, March 09, 2005 11:07 AM
i dont think anyone realizes what 140 hp is. If you stand on it because you like the sound of the engine/exhuast, you are not going to get good gas milage. I do a lot of highway driving, but when im rodding it, i dont get good gas milage. just stay at low rpms.

2004 Cavalier, 2.2L Ecotec
1965 El Camino, 396 BBC, 14:1, 800 BHP
Wednesday, March 09, 2005 1:43 PM
I had the problem of running rich with an intake, header and cat back. Install a SAFC-2 and get it dyno tuned.

Wednesday, March 09, 2005 1:54 PM
Let it run rich.
Have you dne any gas mileage figures since you did this?
You should check this at every fill at the tank to see how you are doing and if this "richness" is a cause for concern.
Before you worry about richness or your needle on your gas gauge, check your mileage. You may be surprised.
Btw, when cruising and doing the speed limit, I'm getting 32mpg and when racing or just hauling, getting 28-29. This has been like this since I've modded the car and is still getting these same figures.
Good luck in your finds.
misnblu

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Wednesday, March 09, 2005 1:55 PM
Demonchild wrote:i dont think anyone realizes what 140 hp is. If you stand on it because you like the sound of the engine/exhuast, you are not going to get good gas milage. I do a lot of highway driving, but when im rodding it, i dont get good gas milage. just stay at low rpms.

right on brother!! The same thing goes with any car. If you rev it at high RPM's your gas will go down more quickly. Here ... think of it as this ... running vs walking. Walking (low RPM) you dont use much energy (gas), but if you run (high RPM) you use alot more energy (gas). Its just simple common sence if you think about it.

dan
Wednesday, March 09, 2005 3:47 PM
How can we explain 17-22mpg for regular city/highway driving?

Wednesday, March 09, 2005 4:50 PM
like Demonchild and dubduce18s people tend to step on the gas any chance they get so they can hear the intake and exhaust and that what causes the gas mileage drop. i did this when i added my header and exhaust. to solve this problem, i disconnect the battery for 30 minutes to let the computer reset. then i hooked up the battery and drove around normal. the MPG stayed the same as when i first got the car

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Friday, March 11, 2005 10:59 AM
Mike wrote:How can we explain 17-22mpg for regular city/highway driving?

im not sure. i would say warenntee. See, the o2 sensor is supposed to through a code if you are running that rich. At the very least i would say there is something wrong with the o2 sensor.

2004 Cavalier, 2.2L Ecotec
1965 El Camino, 396 BBC, 14:1, 800 BHP
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search