lowering questions all around - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
lowering questions all around
Sunday, April 03, 2005 9:18 AM
Ok to start, I want to ask for the people who do al ltheir work what low pro jacks you use I know the jack I used to use will not work anymore because it barely fits as it let alone after dropping it.

Second, Reading through the Tein instructions, I am just wondering when I go to remove the whole stock system, I know you have to take off the wheel, and then upper strut bolt, as well as the 3 which the upper strut brace would attach to. How many other bolts are we talking about, and are airtools needed?

In the instructions it said not to use an impact wrench, so i was jsut wondering if this can be done without using airtools and all or if it would be useful to use them.

Re: lowering questions all around
Sunday, April 03, 2005 9:28 AM
ok, for the fronts, remove the bottom strut nuts off the bolts.......id use an airgun, but im lazy, if not, get a big breaker bar and pull HARD.
then tap the bolts out with a hammer, then remove the 3 top bolts and remove the strut assembly

for the rear, put a jack under the axle in the middle, then pull the bolt on the bottom of the strut....once again airgun helps, but not needed.....then take off the 3 top bolts and remove the struts

for all of them, put a spring compressor on and compress the springs, remove the strut nut, remove the top plate from the strut, remove spring, uncompress spring

compress new spring, place over strut, put top plate on, install nut
put struts on car, put rims back on, and enjoy the ride

(im not a suspension expert, but i have done 4 strut jobs on j bodies, however, if anyting i said is wrong, i assume no liability for injury or death)

You'll never touch God's hand
You'll never taste God's breath
Because you'll never see the second coming
Life's too short to be focused on insanity
I've seen the ways of God
I'll take the devil any day
Hail Satan

(slayer, skeleton christ, 2006)
Re: lowering questions all around
Sunday, April 03, 2005 9:51 AM
For jack issues, it can help to drive your car up on to some 2x6's or something before you start working. That gives you some extra clearance for the jack.

You can buy low-profile jacks as well. I just went to search for the one I use but it's not listed on the website I got it from anymore.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search