I need help whether these will work. - Page 2 - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: I need help whether these will work.
Saturday, June 11, 2011 5:34 PM
So I just ripped apart the trunk and didnt see the factory amp...is it under the seats or something?

Saturday, June 11, 2011 5:59 PM
you sure you have the factory premium sound? lol

On the other hand....you have other fingers.

"You really need to staple your face shut"-THE Joey Baggs.
Saturday, June 11, 2011 7:31 PM
I found it, at first I thought it was a bcm...but I can't believe GM calls that an amplifier. I noticed a harness with maybe 12 wires on it. I figure 8 is for the rear speakers, are the other 4 for the power, ground, and HU?
Sunday, June 12, 2011 11:50 PM
I forgot about the diagram, I saw it and it says that it powers up th front speakers too. My question is, why if I was replacing the fronts I don't need components but for the rear I do, shouldnt I need components for the front as well because its power by the amp too
Monday, June 13, 2011 5:03 AM
what you need all depends on what you want out of yoru stereo. if your just wanting something cheap quick and easy then just go with coaxials. if your wanting more and better sound step up to componets. don't every go by what the factory is doing, go by what you want to achieve.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Monday, June 13, 2011 12:41 PM
Brian Groza wrote:I forgot about the diagram, I saw it and it says that it powers up th front speakers too. My question is, why if I was replacing the fronts I don't need components but for the rear I do, shouldnt I need components for the front as well because its power by the amp too

To answer your question, the fronts get full range sound, so you can put anything in front. The rears have separate bass and treble outputs so you either have to bypass the amp or use components in the rear. (Or disassemble some coax speakers slightly)

Monday, June 13, 2011 1:16 PM
So are components better than other regular speakers? At this point, I don't want to be cheap, I might as well just go with a better system. I don't really want to put in a box with some 12inch subs. So ya, I'm looking for something nice, easy, and not so much expensive, but not cheap.
Monday, June 13, 2011 1:19 PM
That's kind of hard to answer.

Take Alpine for instance.
They make type S coax speakers, they don't sound very good but are a giant step up from stock.
Then they make Type S components. Last years sounded like junk, but better than the coax. (This years have impressed me, but that's not the point)
Then they make Type R coax, which sound better than the type S components.
Then they make Type R components, which sound better than the type T coax.
And it continues in to type Xref and type Xpro,

Also some speakers make better coax speakers than other people components.

So I guess you could say for a given company, at a given product level, components sound better than coax (in general)

Monday, June 13, 2011 1:20 PM
Type T = Type R = typo

Monday, June 13, 2011 2:59 PM
Is that why components are a little more expensive? Would it just be better to go and get components speakers instead of screwing around with wiring, I guess the next question is.
Monday, June 13, 2011 3:22 PM
Components are more expensive because they use better materials in the crossover section of the speaker system. It just means you get better sound and less distortion, usually.

Monday, June 13, 2011 5:23 PM
I see, so, when it comes to 6x9 components whats a good brand for about 200-300 bucks? I also want to have a set for the front as well, either 4x6 or 6 1/2s, but try to keep it the same brand. I looked for Alpine component speakers and I couldnt find anything on their site.
Monday, June 13, 2011 8:01 PM
Only company I know of that makes 6x9 components is Focal.
You'd be better off making plates to fit 6.5" components into the 6x9 location.

Monday, June 13, 2011 8:42 PM
200-300 for one set or for 2? I personally would suggest buying a good set of 6.5" components for up front and an amp for them. That way all you gotta do to round out the sound right is get a sub and amp. For $400-600 you could get a good amp and components. Then just make or find someone to make some baffle adapters to mount the mids. If you are on a budget and want to get the best sound you can, ditch the rear speakers and put that money towards other things that will help the sound.

Tuesday, June 14, 2011 1:44 AM
Ya. Well it's a lot of planning and thinking of what I'm going to do. I'll probably be bothering you guys later because I have so many questions. Thanks for sticking with me an helping me out.
Tuesday, June 14, 2011 4:07 PM
JLAudioCavalier wrote:200-300 for one set or for 2?

I was talking about just the rear. I'll need to save up my unemployment checks and get front speakers first I think, then replace the rear, then get a new HU then possibly upgrade the amp, because that little amp is so not needed.
Tuesday, June 14, 2011 7:12 PM
I would think, then, about just getting a nice set of components this run. Next time you save up and buy something let it be an amp. Next phase being the sub. Then the head unit. As for instant gratification, that's going to be the best route if you have to do it in small chunks. And $200-300 can get you a very nice set of components for the front.

Tuesday, June 14, 2011 10:35 PM
Factory doesnt use components in the front right? I only see 2 wires. How would I go by running componets in the front as well?
Tuesday, June 14, 2011 10:56 PM
The components have a crossover that has tree sets of terminals. INPUT +/-, WOOFER OUT +/-, and TWEETER OUT +/-. So you just tie the factory speaker wires on the input terminal and the rest should be obvious.

Tuesday, June 14, 2011 11:30 PM
So all I need to do is basically set up the wires there to the input, hook up the tweeters to there's and woofers to those as well. So what I've gotten from all this is, instead of 4x6's the best option is to upgrade to 6.5 componets, and keep the rear at 6x9 componets. Then eventually upgrade that amp to aftermarket. One more question, upgrading the amp would mean I would have to get rid of the factory wiring harness? So either way I would have to rip apart the harness and add my own bigger gauge wires, correct?
Wednesday, June 15, 2011 3:19 AM
no. you don't need to rip apart or remove anything. Just leave the factory stuff there. You wire the amp up and then run speaker wires from the amp to the speakers.

Wednesday, June 15, 2011 8:12 PM
Why wouldn't I remove the old factory amp and harness if it's not powering the new stuff?
Thursday, June 16, 2011 6:09 AM
Because its a lot of useless work. If you want to, you can. But if you ever resell or return the car to stock, it will screw you. I'm just not a big fan of removing all the factory stuff because then you, or the new buyer if you sell, is stuck with aftermarket equipment fully or nothing.

Thursday, June 16, 2011 3:23 PM
bradsk88 wrote:Only company I know of that makes 6x9 components is Focal.
You'd be better off making plates to fit 6.5" components into the 6x9 location.

I know Memphis does or did. Still would go with the 6.5 route. Sooooo many better options.

Thursday, June 16, 2011 4:58 PM
Yeah. Like Rainbow. Which I might have a sale price on soon. Haven't sold a lot lately and it's time to push.... definitely just bought another project car LOL.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search