3T40 Driver Side Leak - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
3T40 Driver Side Leak
Monday, August 15, 2011 2:48 PM
Hi all,

I'm wondering if anyone can help me out with a stubborn leak I've got. The car is a 2001 Sunfire with the 3t40. I recently was given the car and noticed the leak when I topped off the fluid. The leak is coming from the drivers side output seal. I replaced the seal and it was still leaking. On closer inspection and with a little research, it appeared that the CV joint had been replaced and that it wasn't making contact with the seal. The CV had a tapered end with is supposed to hit the seal. I found that CV's for this vehicle should not have this taper and got the replacement. This time when I inserted I definitely felt it slide into the seal. All good for a few days, then its leaking again. I don't know where to go from here. Perhaps I ended up with the wrong seal? I had some trouble getting the Autozone guy to find the right one. I've also found what is called an axle shaft stabilizer seal, though I'm not sure if this an OEM part or a modification to solve this specific problem? Any advice would be awesome. This is driving me crazy. It seems like it should have been solved with what I've done. I've done a ton of digging online and having turned up anything yet.

Thanks.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search