Famous dash crack... - Page 2 - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Famous dash crack...
Friday, September 24, 2010 7:03 AM
I think you assumed I mis-typed, lol, there are a ton of un-cracked dashes in NY. I've never seen one in person with a cracked dash, even after they throw the cars around at the junkyard.

Paying someone to install parts and bragging about it being fast, is like watching someone bang your wife and being proud to raise their kids.

Friday, September 24, 2010 8:54 AM
Mine cracked when I wheel hopped 1 time at the drag strip...

I actually watched it happen...

Friday, September 24, 2010 6:08 PM
i have a @!#$ hole in my dash now. my 97 Z has had the crack since i bought it in 05 with 80k on it. just last like july or something it cracked again in the same spot and like a week later a little piece of the upper dash fell into the dash. its like a quarter sized hole. i've pretty much decided to get the coverlay piece. my 95 beater thats all rotted out, faded interior, never been washed or cleaned with 196k has no dash crack. 95 dashes ftw. they're made better.

Friday, September 24, 2010 8:38 PM
yep, i dont know what it is with the 95's but dear god they are awesome. the two in both of my cars came from 95's and they are great.

Underdog Racing
Saturday, September 25, 2010 10:15 PM
blucavvy wrote:
shiny03cav wrote:truth is you feel like an idiot for posting search...and not reading my post. I made the post because I was surprised my dash cracked in my 03 already..that is all and by the way sweet elmo sticker..hoooooooooommmmmmmmmoooooo

lolz, uh oh. did i hurt your feelings a little bit? gotta start name calling now? or ripping on the sticker that you have no idea the reason it's on my bumper for (nor does anyone else on this site), and i don't need to even bother trying to explain it to you. it's ok, when you graduate hikes school maybe you butt won't get so hurt.

I got away with calling you a dickweed but then again I have been around for a long time and dickweed is a fun

Disclaimer: Dey see me Trollin' Dey hatin' for trollin dey trying to catch me ridin dirty.

Sunday, September 26, 2010 5:25 AM
lolz, it's okay to get called out every once in awhile

Sunday, September 26, 2010 7:12 AM
I tried to do it in a funny manner to

Disclaimer: Dey see me Trollin' Dey hatin' for trollin dey trying to catch me ridin dirty.

Sunday, September 26, 2010 12:46 PM
my 01 z24 with 229k has one by the defrsoter vent, thats it. happened abut 2-3 years ago.
the 02 LSS had 3 at the defroster vent, was like that when i bought it last may with 72k,
my 04 LSS has yet to crack with 80k

"A goal without a plan is just a wish"
Sunday, September 26, 2010 7:31 PM
My 03 went a little over 100k with no crack. Then I removed the dash and it cracked while removing it. If I hadn't removed it I don't think it would've cracked. Oh well. I did use some plastic epoxy that seemed to hold fairly well and you could bairly see the crack unless you were looking.
Monday, September 27, 2010 5:56 PM
Transporter7220 wrote:I think you assumed I mis-typed, lol, there are a ton of un-cracked dashes in NY. I've never seen one in person with a cracked dash, even after they throw the cars around at the junkyard.

I am in NY and mine is cracked in 2 places now.

I can bring the car to you if you'd like to see... Lol. J/K.

Monday, September 27, 2010 5:57 PM
Interesting, I've never seen any in the Finger Lakes.

Paying someone to install parts and bragging about it being fast, is like watching someone bang your wife and being proud to raise their kids.

Monday, September 27, 2010 6:30 PM
i had a 94 auto cavy with 98k on it never crack. then bought a 97 5speed with 164k on it not crack yet i hope.
Tuesday, September 28, 2010 9:47 PM
Rick Solomon wrote:i had a 94 auto cavy with 98k on it never crack. then bought a 97 5speed with 164k on it not crack yet i hope.

uhhh... I think 1994 is not included... 1995 and up, but good to hear no cracks in yo dash... yet. Glad to own a 1995

Friday, October 01, 2010 12:05 AM
Ever since the famous crack came about.... so has the invention of the sunfire swap.... at least that's what I did when I had mine.
Thursday, October 14, 2010 4:34 PM
why guys aren't lossening the bolt i don't know fawk take the thing right out it wont crack if its not there so if your dash is NOT cracked remove the defrost vent and remove that screw don't think you have to take the dash pad off to acess it

i bought mine cracked and just swapped 00+ into my 99

JBO since July 30, 2001
Saturday, October 23, 2010 4:35 PM
For sure the 1995 and maybe the 1996 Cavalier, the plastic did change. Older ones used a yellow plastic that was coated/ painted to the interior's color. The newer ones, used a plastic that had the same color as the interior... non painted-molded color. What's the material difference, I have no clue, but there was difference. But at the junk yard, no year was saved, including the Sunfire's internal dash crack.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Sunday, October 24, 2010 8:35 PM
NOTa2_4 wrote:why guys aren't lossening the bolt i don't know fawk take the thing right out it wont crack if its not there so if your dash is NOT cracked remove the defrost vent and remove that screw don't think you have to take the dash pad off to acess it

My dash cracked at 20,000 miles (purchased the car new). GM replaced the dash, and I removed said screw... 45,000 miles and it cracked again in the same spot. Sunfire dash swap will fix it =)

Tuesday, October 26, 2010 7:23 AM
NOTa2_4 wrote:why guys aren't lossening the bolt i don't know fawk take the thing right out

From the OP wrote:as soon as i got the car I took the dash pad off and loosened the back piece so it wasnt so stiff,

*shrug*

At this point I don't think it can be anything but an issue with the polymer GM used on the Cavalier's dash structure. There's all sorts of things we can do to prolong the inevitable, but it looks like these things are just destined to crack over time. There's no real telling when, where, or how they'll crack - only that their doom is assured.

- Interior FAQ -
J-Body of Michigan -
Wednesday, October 27, 2010 10:02 AM
mine cracked at some point over the summer pulled it out of the garage one day and saw the doom crack 2005 with about 50k on it at that point but 25k on coilovers and prolly 10k on solid engine mounts so it was destined to crack anyway.

Wednesday, October 27, 2010 10:31 AM
Mine just cracked the other day......FAWK !!!!

Wednesday, October 27, 2010 10:53 AM
mine is cracked too, mega fail

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Thursday, November 11, 2010 8:24 PM
Just as others have said i believe its a design issue, I thing wheel hop make it worst tho. My first Cav 04 LS Sport 90k miles in '06 had it, now my 3rd Cav 02 LS Sport 57k miles in '10 has it too. The only Cav i have ever owned w/o it was my 95 LS Convertible 164k miles in '07 but it was never really driven hard or raced because I didnt get around to modding it.

It beats a Honda!
Friday, November 12, 2010 8:25 PM
i thought someone in this very thread said 95's didn't have the issue. maybe it was brad?

either way, leave this post alone guys. jesus.

Friday, November 12, 2010 8:48 PM
My 95 never cracked it got parted out at over 150k. The dash sold for 50. My 98 Sunfire with 110k is not cracked and my 05 Sunfire with 42k is not cracked. But the sunfires (at least the coupes) have a different dash all together. Mainly the piece in question separates and is not part of the plastic "frame" or main portion of the dash, whatever you want to call it. I don't believe I have heard of any 2door sunfires cracking? Correct me if I'm wrong
Sunday, December 05, 2010 5:42 PM
What makes them crack.... Heat or bodyflex.... Should I get adashmat before it cracks.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search