Berst Ecotec Times - Stock Motor's only - Page 2 - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Berst Ecotec Times - Stock Motor's only
Friday, May 12, 2006 9:57 PM
What RPMs do u guys shift at?

Saturday, May 13, 2006 12:03 AM
i got a 15.6 with a aem cai with me a fat kid and 2 12's in the trunk
Saturday, May 13, 2006 12:04 AM
and that was an auto
Saturday, May 13, 2006 8:10 AM
james wrote:What RPMs do u guys shift at?

I launch at 2500 and shift at 6499 rpm

Sunday, May 14, 2006 9:21 AM
PJ I need you to drive my car lol

I've never been able to get better than a 2.3 second launch NA and its even worse now with the larger rims and more power

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Sunday, May 14, 2006 9:34 AM
Rodimus Prime sorry to change the subject here but i figured u might know this.do u know what and where the white wire is on the ecotec to hook up the tach.i got the stewart warner shift light that has 1-12 cylinders so i dont need a adapter too hook it up i just put it on 2 cylinders.
thanks james

Sunday, May 14, 2006 10:56 AM
Rodimus Prime wrote:PJ I need you to drive my car lol

I've never been able to get better than a 2.3 second launch NA and its even worse now with the larger rims and more power

if you want me to I will

I launch at 4000rpm in the skwirl and shift right before fuel cut

I'd probably have to adjust to your car but I could get a decent 60' probably on street tires...

mine are worn out I need new ones up front... then I'd get my times back to where they're supposed to be... (didn't manage to break any records recently altho I KNOW my car has a 14.8 in it and a 2.00 60'

should i stick with street tires or goto DRs i s the Q tho... hmm

Monday, May 15, 2006 5:58 PM
I need some practice, I got a 16.196 @ 84.7 at Englishtown on saturday at the ECS Corvette Challenge. Stock Ecotec, 5-spd. Only have a K&N air filter. Launched at ~3000rpm.

To be honest though, none of the cars were launching right from the left lane, FWD or RWD. I don't know aobut the right lane. One of the guys I drove out there with was running 12.5's in his vette last year. He recently installed 4.10's and was running 12.7's. Others were also complaining of bad launches due to the track. They probably could have prepped the track a little better than they did.

Monday, May 15, 2006 5:59 PM
02:14 PM
13/May/06

Owner: Andrew Taub (vizkiz)
Car: 2004 Chevrolet Cavalier LS Sport

R/T ... .069
60' ... 2.364
330 ... 6.779
1/8 ... 10.430
MPH ... 67.22
1000 ... 13.554
1/4 ... 16.196
MPH ... 84.70

Tuesday, May 16, 2006 6:12 PM
PJ, how do you launch at 4K??...oh, your flywheel might have something to do with it, maybe...

if I launch above 2K, I get bad wheel hop or spin...hopefully the control arm bushings and ground controls help with the wheel hop...

are you dumping the clutch or letting it out easy??

_
2002 LS Sport coupe
Tuesday, May 16, 2006 6:43 PM
I've actually laucnhed higher too... 4200rpm or so... decent 60's i'm usually in the 2.0 second range

to be honest I'm doing so much during a launch I really can't tell you exactly how I do it

I'm pretty sure I let the clutch out fast, but not completely.. but it does come out all the way.. like let it out FAST then the last inch is easy

control wheel spin mostly with throttle, the tires will spin a little (which is good)

as soon as the car bites, push the gas to the floor... 1st gear runs out very quick

Shift as fast as you can at 6500 into 2nd gear then off you go

I bet I could get better times if I let the clutch out to just before engagement during my launch but I always have it all the way in then kind of shock the drivetrain...

I need more practice, but my tires are totally crap after racing on them so much so I think I'm going to try some DRs next...

Wednesday, May 17, 2006 7:41 AM
R/T ... .261
60' ... 2.436
330 ... 6.775
1/8 ... 10.340
MPH ... 69.25
1000 ... 13.358
1/4 ... 15.996
MPH ... 84.86

100% stock ecotec 5spd with heavy rims and 3/4 tank of gas, i just need to get my 60' down cause i use to pull 2.4's in my OHV 2.2, i know this engine has better.

Thursday, May 18, 2006 9:22 AM
When I started launching above 2k I was getting wheel hop too, but after deflating my tires to 22psi I found that they hook up and dont hop so much, it also has a lot to do with track conditions. Right now I launch around 3500, and you can see last time I was out I a 2.199 60' thats on 15s w/ BFG Traction T/As'

15.149 @ 91.26mph 3-18-2006
Tuesday, May 23, 2006 8:50 AM
comletley stock motor with turbo kit, motor mounts, 3" exhaust, stage 3 clutch, & drag radials.

Pro 400 tree:
R/T .669
60' 1.942
330' 5.520
1/8 8.470
MPH 85.48
1000' 11.015
1/4 13.133
MPH 107.26

that was at 8-10 psi running really rich (like a 10.3-10.6 afr voltage) so the car has some better time to come soon. going to midnight mayheam to try and get mid to high 12's out of it. well see.

12.7@110MPH with 10PSI.
Tuesday, May 23, 2006 2:35 PM
are u going to midnight mayheam at cordova?if so its this friday night i will be there from 5 30 -10 for sure i might stay all night i dont know yet i have to work at 6am saterday.
later james

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 8:54 PM
yep ill be there cause thats a good track and an awsome event to do. i like to go to all of them if i can. but i wont make it till about 12-1230

12.7@110MPH with 10PSI.
Thursday, May 25, 2006 12:31 AM
lol before you guys all laugh at me, fi day was my first every on track drag and i didnt really know what i was doin, but first my stroy, then my times then my questions.
when i got to the track i checked all my fluids and stuff like that, got in line , warmed the tires a little and launched at 2000 with no problem, shifted into second and had real bad wheel hop!! i shifted early in almost every gear, like around 6000 ish b/c i was payin attention to the mustang i was next to.
these times were run with a 03 cav with a aem cai and hi flo muffler on stock tubing and a 40lb speaker box in the trunk. not to mention a full tank of gas. also sitting on stock rims and all season tires
R/T ... 1.184
60 ... 2.502
330 ... 6.867
1/8 ... 10.426
MPH ... 69.44
1000 ... 13.455
1/4 .. 16.026
MPH ... 87.60
now that was my first and only run b/c on the second run i launched @ 2300 and got real bad wheel hop, then the side gears came apart and went through the case less than 50' down the track which is why my car is currently in the shop :_(
has anyone else ever had this problem?? or am i one of the unfortunate few who has to push their car off the strip
now for the questions that i promised,
why do i get real bad wheel hop when i hit 2nd hard and how can i stop it??
how can i lauch to get a good 60' and not get wheel hop??
when does the rev limiter kick in??
how far into the red can i run it without hurting the engine??
any other tips i should know to get beter times??
and does any one run at lancaster speed way in new york or at new york internatonal raceway park in liecester, new york??

many changes in the making
my favorite part about doing bodywork,.......... bondo bugers
Thursday, May 25, 2006 10:24 AM
Mine's not entirely all motor but still just has bolt ons and my best time was a 16.41 with i/h/e catco cat, b/m shiftplus and lower mount with no subs or spare in the trunk and rear seat gone. Only weight in the rear was 3/4 tank of gas because it was rainy that day and got gas before I found out that I was going. I was running 15" stock fat five Jetta wheels which weigh about 8lbs less than the LS sport 16's. I had an issue with spinning even with lower psi it seemed to spin more. I didnt feel to bad there was a cobalt ss that only ran a 15.3 This is also and Bristol Dragway so the elevation is an issue here with our times being slower. Ive got comp stage 1 cams on the way and Im going to get a reveco throttle body and port match the intake to it and a lightened crank pulley to go with the cams hoping to see some better times when I get everything on.

Thursday, May 25, 2006 11:18 AM
Quote:

has anyone else ever had this problem?? or am i one of the unfortunate few who has to push their car off the strip

with your level of modification, this shouldn't have happened.. i guess wheel hop is just that deadly

Quote:

not sure you have TEINs listed under your suspension mods. Upgrade the A-arm bushings to poly bushings in front that should help a lot with wheel hop... also get a subframe brace and a strut tower bar that will help keep everything in front planted. Also, try airing down your tires.

Quote:

how can i lauch to get a good 60' and not get wheel hop??

see my post earlier on this page

Quote:

when does the rev limiter kick in??

6500rpm

Quote:

how far into the red can i run it without hurting the engine??

shift before you hit the rev limiter. NEVER shift early at the track

Quote:

any other tips i should know to get beter times??

run between 1/2 tank and 1/4 of gas, and take out all the useless crap... spare tire, jack, subs, amplifiers, laundry, bookbags, and anything else.

Quote:

and does any one run at lancaster speed way in new york or at new york internatonal raceway park in liecester, new york??

never been there before i usually run at Atco

Thursday, May 25, 2006 3:21 PM
Quote:

Quote:

not sure you have TEINs listed under your suspension mods. Upgrade the A-arm bushings to poly bushings in front that should help a lot with wheel hop... also get a subframe brace and a strut tower bar that will help keep everything in front planted. Also, try airing down your tires.

Motor/trans mounts too... poly... all four of em.

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said
Thursday, May 25, 2006 3:27 PM
strut tower bars help with the front end wheel hop?I thought they where for corning.thats why i never bought one so if it helps im going to get one
thanks james

Thursday, May 25, 2006 9:37 PM
sorry, listing the tiens was a litle pre emptive,..... i have the super street coilovers, but the are currently sitting in the box near my tool chest in the garage, im running an all stock suspension and drivetrain

many changes in the making
my favorite part about doing bodywork,.......... bondo bugers
Friday, May 26, 2006 9:55 AM
james wrote:strut tower bars help with the front end wheel hop?I thought they where for corning.thats why i never bought one so if it helps im going to get one
thanks james

i'm not sure if i agree with pj on that one entirely, but in theory if strut tower bars reduce chassis flex than they COULD have some slight effect on wheel hop. Most important thing is better tires, poly bushings, properly setup springs/shocks, and poly motor/trans mounts.

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said
Friday, May 26, 2006 6:11 PM
LEaving for cordova in an hour and a half. Im going to leave my 17's on, heavier but not by much over my factory split spoke 16's. and plus these are wider and more traction. So we will see.

First time running...
Short shifter, lower motor mount, RK Sport Intake, Pro Street Coilover, Magnaflow Exhaust, Thats it i think.

Saturday, May 27, 2006 3:27 AM
Well with 17's, magnaflow exhaust from the rear crossbarr back(2.5 into magnaflow muffler),Short shifter, Lowe motor mount, RK sport intake...

16.1 I wanted 15's so bad but couldnt do it in my car, instead i got to run an AWD 350 powered typhoon. ran a 15.05 in that thing. it was hooking like a mofo with the AWD.

Overall it was a fun time.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search