Sunfire Eyelids - Page 3 - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Sunfire Eyelids
Thursday, February 17, 2005 12:50 PM
Ummm actually $200 isn't that expensive. I've had mine done since 02... my boss at the body shop quoted around $300 - $350 at the time.

What we did was:

*Make a cardboard template
*Find a "donor hood" (a hood with the right curve to it)
*cut the corners of the hood out from the template you made (it will already be "rolled in", thicker and sturdier... be sure when cutting to leave an inch or two for fitting and cutting
*line them up on YOUR hood, and cut, leaving a small edge to crimp the metal part you'll be welding onto your hood
*grind off all the paint and primer in the area you're going to be welding on both the pieces to be welded and the hood (best to weld underneath)
*crimp the edge to be welded
*line up, and weld on
*fill first with fiberglass, sand, bondo, sand, glazing putty/icing, sand, primer (repeat any of those steps as necessary)

When mine were complete... if you open up my hood and look at the area where we welded them in... you can barely see the weld line. It falls almost directly under that seal on the underside of your hood.

IMHO... that's the best way to do it.

Thursday, February 17, 2005 1:01 PM
i did mine but i did it a whole diffrent way just to be diffrent and custom, i didnt wanna copy everyone, this was way way way back in the day when i still owned my jbody and had the sunfire front end on it

they were welded on then smoothed out

then here is my old front end on my buddies car painted

Thursday, February 17, 2005 4:34 PM
White Boy wrote:What do you guys think of these eye lids and the kit?

The front bumper looks pretty sweet. I love the hood. It is exactly like the racetech hood that I wanted to order. But they dont make it anymore as far as I know. But not to sure on your photoshop skills but those eyelids look like a$$ IMO. But if they were like regular eyelids it would look PIMP and pending price I would be all over that hood.

Regards,
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search