suicide doors - Exterior Forum

This thread is locked.
For more information about why this thread might have been locked, please read the rules.
suicide doors
Sunday, February 27, 2005 8:16 PM
how hard is it to do suicide doors on a cavi? i have only seen 2 or 3 cavis with it done im prity sure i couldnt do it myself how much do you think a body shop would charge me to do it?

Re: suicide doors
Sunday, February 27, 2005 9:01 PM
it's not all that easy to do. you'd have to cut away the area behind the door for the hinge to go into, weld the hinges in place, relocate the door pin and latch, and various other things such as wiring, etc.

as far as how much a body shop would charge, it all depends on their rates and their quality. the only way you'd be able to find out for sure would be to actually go talk to a body shop and find out straight from them. it's not an easy process, so im sure they'd charge at least a few hundred dollars to do the work.

Sunday, February 27, 2005 9:24 PM
shops charge 3-5k to do suiside doors...

** FOR SALE** http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=24&i=110879&t=110879
Sunday, February 27, 2005 9:37 PM
EXESIVE FIRE (Andy Brooks) wrote:shops charge 3-5k to do suiside doors...

does that include fabricating the hinge as well, or just install a premade hinge?

also, one other thing to note, if you have a body kit who's side skirts come up onto the rear quarter panel, they might get in the way of the doors opening since the back lip of the door pretty much comes all the way back to the quarter panel.

Monday, February 28, 2005 4:53 AM
or why not go old school
take the right hinges and put them on the left side then take the left hinge and put them in the right side
find some street rod parts place that you can use the wire free block system

it`s a long hard thought out process but in the end you can never tell
pr just send the car to me and i will do it

can i haz bondo
Monday, February 28, 2005 1:12 PM
i never thought of doing it like that i was gonna go get an auto loc kit but i like old school its cheep but thats kinda why i wanna do suicide doors im tryin to do an old school new school cavi i wanna chop the top to but i allready know that it is gonna cost way to much money i was told it was gonna cost 12 grand and take at least a month to do so i dont think im gonna go that way and i talked to a body shop they said 600 a door if i get all the stuff
Monday, February 28, 2005 1:51 PM
big daddy wrote:or why not go old school
take the right hinges and put them on the left side then take the left hinge and put them in the right side

cause that wouldn't work with our cars. the autoloc hinges open the doors out, rather than just pivot like the stock hinges do. if you open your door, you'll notice that the door actually comes in behind the front fender, if you tried that sort of hinge on the back, the rear lip of the door wouldn't have any way of going into the quarter panel. like i said, the autoloc kit swings the door out to clear the quarter panel.

and i can't believe that it would cost 1200 to suicide your doors. just to do the welding and cutting can't be that expensive. they must be talking about having to fabricate the hinges themselves as well.

Monday, February 28, 2005 2:35 PM
nope i told him i had everything and i just wanted him to put it all in and that is what he told me but i would rather do it myself but i dont want to mess anything up that is why i posted this so i could see how hard it was to do there is one other guy on the org that has suicide doors but i dont know who it is or i would just try to email him he also has a tail light convertion its primer gray with black primer graphix anyone know who i am talkin about?
Monday, February 28, 2005 2:59 PM
damn cant think of his name isnt it the guy with the s2000 taillights
Monday, February 28, 2005 3:03 PM
Monday, February 28, 2005 7:39 PM
Getting suicide doors done is REALLY expensive for real! In the end, lambo and well done suicide doors will cost the same.

But DO NOT GET AUTOLOC HINGES!!!! Go to www.suicidedoors.com or look up Hagan hinges for a quality hinge set that isn't all pre-welded like the AutoLoc.

Just my $.02....

My Car Domain

Monday, February 28, 2005 7:40 PM
Oh... and anyone in or near the AZ area that wants to do my 4 doors rear doors suicide swing, I'm open to offers !!

My Car Domain
Tuesday, March 01, 2005 12:34 PM
i would rather have suicide doors than lambo
Tuesday, March 01, 2005 4:18 PM
cannon fodder wrote:
big daddy wrote:or why not go old school

cause that wouldn't work with our cars. the autoloc hinges open the doors out, rather than just pivot like the stock hinges do.

lol you make me laugh lol
ya it does work i guess ya just have to know what your doin

can i haz bondo
Tuesday, March 01, 2005 6:54 PM
ok, i'll explain why i said that i don't think using the stock hinges will work to open the doors suicide.

if you look at the way our stock hinges work, they open the door into the fender. im using Looney Tuner's car as a reference cause i don't have a pic of my car with the door open.

now, let's look at the way the suicide doors open. this is bagged95cavy's car.

as you can see, the suicide hinges open the door out so it will clear the quarter panel.

now let's look at mounting positions.

the door hinges mount at a 90 degree angle:

the rear edge of the door where it sits next to the quarter panel is parallel, not a 90 degree angle. not to mention, if you were to flip the hinges around, you would have nothing to mount them on, even if you cut away that section of the quarter panel. so you'd have to fabricate something strong enough to hold the hinges and hold the door so it doesn't sag. even if you were able to do all that, you'd still have the clearance issue of the door getting outside of the quarter panel.

on some cars, you can do that... j-bodies are not one of those cars. im sorry, but you are wrong.

Tuesday, March 01, 2005 9:25 PM
like i said you are wrong anything can be done you just have to know what you are doin
nice try though

can i haz bondo
Tuesday, March 01, 2005 9:44 PM
Im gonna have to agree with cannon on this one.

yes anything can be done, but why do all of that work just to get the same effect as you would get with welding in two little hinges that are specifically made for that. It probably can be done, but it would most likely look like crap, and be more work than what it is worth. You have to think about practicallity.

Tuesday, March 01, 2005 11:09 PM
big daddy wrote:like i said you are wrong anything can be done you just have to know what you are doin
nice try though

PROVE ME WRONG THEN. don't just sit here flappin your mouth about it. show me that it can be done. until you actually do it and prove me wrong that's it's either:

a) possible
b) more cost effective than buying premade suicide hinges
or
c) reliable

im gonna have to raise the flag on you're ass.

Wednesday, March 02, 2005 6:37 AM
I found a place that will do all the fab work for 1100 a door. They have done it more than once and said it would only take two weeks.
Wednesday, March 02, 2005 2:12 PM
1100 a door seems a little to steep. Im sure you could find somewhere to do it cheaper.

Wednesday, March 02, 2005 2:42 PM
i was also thinking about doing this ot my 4 door sunfire. I have looked online and i came acrosee 4 different hinge kits. I found autolocs hinge kit which in my opinion is a rip off cause you pay $400 to get the right parts. Then www.suicidedoors.com has a complete kit for $399. Hagan hinge kits on www.haganstreetrods.com were $325 and finally i came across this company named chassis tech and they have a complete hinge kit with the bear clwa latches and strikers for $250 shipped. this is on this website http://www.truckn-store.com/product.asp?returnURL=default.asp&ID=85678

Wednesday, March 02, 2005 7:53 PM
why should i prove anything to anyone
you obvisouly know nothing about body work or for that matter custom work and are clueless
when you do what i can do to a car then you raise you gay little flag until then go back to your momma `s tities

you want proof fine i will go to work and get the pic`s from the guy that helped me do it
and prove your dumb ass wrong

kids these days

can i haz bondo
Wednesday, March 02, 2005 9:04 PM
big daddy wrote:why should i prove anything to anyone
you obvisouly know nothing about body work or for that matter custom work and are clueless
when you do what i can do to a car then you raise you gay little flag until then go back to your momma `s tities

you want proof fine i will go to work and get the pic`s from the guy that helped me do it
and prove your dumb ass wrong

kids these days

you're the one saying it can be done sooooo easily. prove it. i know enough about body work to know that it's gonna cost enough money to get the front hinges to work on the back side of the door to know it would be cheaper to get every body panel on the car dipped in platinum.

like i said, why go through all that bullsh*t when you can get premade hinges? it's just plain stupid. do what you want to your little projects, but don't tell someone to hack together a car your ass backwards ways.

and why are you now starting to throw out insults? do you feel somehow threatened that someone actuall said "you are wrong"? do you not have the testicular fortitude to have a grown up conversation? you gotta be immature and throw out insults? you're the one acting like a kid.

show me that hinge setup on a third gen j-body, and i will admit to being wrong. but until then, im still gonna throw up that gay little flag.

Wednesday, March 02, 2005 9:10 PM
go cannon!!! whoo hoo!!!!!

hmmmm.... I am confused, and the Blonde genius that is me,
does not easily get confused
Friday, March 04, 2005 10:57 PM
wow.. you guys that cant even change your oil... stfu and quit giving bad advice...

first.. stock hinges reversed WILL NOT WORK.... seriously.. the way are hinges are it wont work... so calm yourself...

the people that think its not that much work...

ever try to cut a b pillar?

ever try to cut two perfactly level and parellel, perfact size rectangular holes in a b pillar?

ever do structuaral type deep penetration welding?

ever fab a new mount for a door latch?not to mention shaving handles, running door popers, bodywork, adjusting, running wirs etc....

yeah the shop that quoted me was the shop that did alot of mulls work.... so i trust them when they said it would cost a bit....

ive done a set on a truck.. those arent so bad... but the shape of our door jambs dont make it that easy...

i have a full suiside door hinge kit sitting right next to me, ive had it for well over a year now, ive done them before on other vehicles... and im still afraid to try it on my car...

you cant just go at it and hope for the best on stuff like this guys...
'
so if youve never even changed your oil... let alone atempted this.... stop giving bad advice...

please.. before someone messes up their car

** FOR SALE** http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=24&i=110879&t=110879
This thread is locked.
For more information about why this thread might have been locked, please read the rules.

Start New Topic Advanced Search