V6 swap info for 3rd Gens - Page 5 - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: V6 swap info for 3rd Gens
Friday, June 24, 2011 7:50 AM
For $60 id be concerned on what is wrong with it...for a good, quality, known good engine trans. ect. and full swap id say a good $1500 in everything...

As far as what would be better....thats all in your eyes....would you rather do the swap, make some more power, and have that work into the swap or get another engine or rebuild your current, have much less work, the same power and know its rebuilt and done......just all what your wanting to do....no one can answer that one but you..

"Hondas are like tampons, every pussy has one!!!"

Wednesday, July 13, 2011 6:10 AM
I am curious if anyone has used a OBD1 MPFI harness and ecu, in conjunction with a piggyback OBD2 ECU in a 96-99 for a 3400 swap. My main concern is what hang ups (aside from check engine light issues) are encountered when a modern 3400SFI is run on a OBD1 harness and ecu. This should eliminates the need for passlock and transmission woes, and opens up affordable tuning with TunerPro. Any feed back through PM's or forum is appreciated.
Monday, August 08, 2011 8:01 PM
hi guys i'm new to this site so please be patient. I've scoured the forum to answer some questions. i'm swapping a 98 olds silhouette 3400 into a 98 z24. i am using the olds pcm to run the engine but what do i do with the 2.4l engine connectors that i won't be using? i am using the cav pcm to run the cluster but i will need some input for the temp gage, tach,etc. how do i get that from the engine harness?
Wednesday, December 07, 2011 6:46 PM
swapping an 04 LSS to 3400, what ECU/harness combo do you suggest as far as being the most strait forward and retain all factory gages. This is the only thing holding me up from doing this swap, not scared of wiring just need a lil piece of mind
Monday, February 27, 2012 10:23 AM
RedBird wrote:Nope, Euro 3.1 is just that.... a 3.1. GenII motor. The easiest way to tell the difference is just read the intake. If it's a 2.8 or 3.1, it's crappy Gen II. 3100 or 3400 is the good, Gen III motor. if it's 3100 with lines on it though, it's the small port(not what you want). you want a motor that says just 3100 or 3400, nothing else, no lines, nothing. preferably 3400

i had a 3.1 and it ran like a champ i didnt have any problems with it till it had about 300000 miles on it haha and it still had life left in it
Saturday, May 19, 2012 2:45 PM
ok so i had a few questions, i have a 98 z24 and im very interested in this swap iv scanned many iv scanned many forums, but a few things are unclear to me,

1. i know i have to change the drivers side mounts to the 2.2 mounts, so would i use the 2.2 axles or would my 2.4 axles work?

2. i know i need to use the 3400 n-body PCM and engine harness as well as the 2.2 j-body PCM and harness, i also know that the j-body harness and PCM are for the gauges, now is it possible for someone to post exactly what wires need to be kept on the j-body harness and which ones need to be removed from the n-body? and to my understanding all im doing with this is taking the n-body wires that lead to the gauges out of the plug that is leading to the dash harness and then run the j-body gauge wires to that plug in the place of the n-body wires? (i hope that makes sense) :/

3. last but not least, is there another option with the VATS and the auto codes being removed, that is alot of money to spend on software, so is there any other n-body PCM's that i can use that is already set for me to plug in and use?
Monday, May 21, 2012 6:06 AM
1. You don't need to change the mount. It's the same frame rail portion as the 2.4 mount. The reason the parts are different for OEM replacements is because it comes with the piece that bolts to the engine as well as the piece that bolts to the frame.

2. You may want to PM Darren about the wiring (gtpsunfire) because he's done the split harness setup on more than one vehicle, IIRC.

3. No, there is no plug-and-play setup availble. There were no vehicles with the 3400 or 3100 that had a manual transmission. The closest you would get would be using the 94 J-body 3.1 electronics from a manual car, but you will still need tuning, because the engines are different (3x00 engines have much more airflow), which means a chip burner or an emulator (Ostrich), so if saving money is your goal, it's not going to be any different.

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 5:32 PM
Ok, so I was wondering can anyone provide me with the 3400 and the 2.2 harness schematics? Please!
Friday, June 01, 2012 5:11 PM
not likley unless you state the year and car the harnesses are from trust me it matters

you would think a 98 grand prix and an 98 regal would be the same but they is not

JBO since July 30, 2001
Wednesday, June 06, 2012 8:50 PM
Ok so if I'm getting this correctly, on my 98 cavalier z24 (manual trans) the mounts that are on the frame are the same as the 2.2 manual trans?
Thursday, June 07, 2012 1:52 AM
jacob mahon wrote:Ok so if I'm getting this correctly, on my 98 cavalier z24 (manual trans) the mounts that are on the frame are the same as the 2.2 manual trans?

That is correct. All manual trans frame mounts from 1995-1999 j-bodys no matter what motor are the same. Z24, Base, RS, 2.2, 2.3, 2.4 All same trans frame mounts. All the torque and upper motor frame mounts are the same for all 3rd gen years.

Thursday, June 07, 2012 6:22 AM
Ok thanks a lot!
Monday, September 10, 2012 8:25 AM
i know iv caused some crap and iv been a burden to some people on here and i apologize, but im stepping up and im goin to do the swap all on my own, i just need some diagrams.... im looking for a 98 2.2 cavalier engine schematics and the schematics for a 00 3400 alero please!!
Tuesday, October 16, 2012 9:43 PM
What exactly is required to drop a 3800 3.8L V6 engine into a Pontiac Sunfire? I've seen videos and pics of a 3800 engine in a sunfire before. now I hope to get a good 400HP+ and over 700 ft ib torque out of it so i'll also need to know if the NVG T550 is good for use with it?
Wednesday, October 17, 2012 12:07 PM
Taylor Latham wrote:What exactly is required to drop a 3800 3.8L V6 engine into a Pontiac Sunfire? I've seen videos and pics of a 3800 engine in a sunfire before. now I hope to get a good 400HP+ and over 700 ft ib torque out of it so i'll also need to know if the NVG T550 is good for use with it?
Really? There's a sticky right next to this one about 3800 swaps!

Sunday, October 21, 2012 4:03 AM
Maybe the topic for this thread needs to be changed to 3400/3500 3rd Gen Swap Info or something to that effect. Noobs can't tell the difference.

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Tuesday, November 20, 2012 12:29 PM
jacob mahon wrote:i know iv caused some crap and iv been a burden to some people on here and i apologize, but im stepping up and im goin to do the swap all on my own, i just need some diagrams.... im looking for a 98 2.2 cavalier engine schematics and the schematics for a 00 3400 alero please!!

Alero's are ugly and not worth swapping engines into if that's what you are planning on doing. i would suggest getting a Pontiac grand am or sunfire since they are more sporty looking anyways.
Tuesday, November 20, 2012 5:54 PM
No I'm putting it in my cav lol. But iv already got access to all diagrams now. And besides I figured out that my setup is just plug n play so I good now haha
Wednesday, November 21, 2012 6:19 AM
Taylor Latham wrote:
jacob mahon wrote:i know iv caused some crap and iv been a burden to some people on here and i apologize, but im stepping up and im goin to do the swap all on my own, i just need some diagrams.... im looking for a 98 2.2 cavalier engine schematics and the schematics for a 00 3400 alero please!!

Alero's are ugly and not worth swapping engines into if that's what you are planning on doing. i would suggest getting a Pontiac grand am or sunfire since they are more sporty looking anyways.

You're suggesting using a Grand Am over an Alero, even though they're the same car? Maybe you should just refrain from handing out any advice as it only serves to show us how much of an unreliable source you are..

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Wednesday, November 21, 2012 10:21 AM
Alero's were released around 199, and the Grand am has been around since 1973, so in a way they are different.
Wednesday, November 21, 2012 11:30 PM
You're an idiot. When you're talking about 3400's you're talking about the N-body cars. In which case the Grand Am and Alero are the exact same car. Please don't hand out any more advice, not only are you hurting those who want to learn. You're hurting yourself by showing us how unreliable of source of information you are. I know you want to help, but you have to grow up and have some basis in fact of your information.

Monday, November 26, 2012 4:51 AM
Just adding this file since the other thread was brought up. This gets asked for occasionally.

Attachments
c100pinout.pdf (23k)

Monday, November 26, 2012 5:02 AM
So mr. Quick with my 2000 plus wiring swap I can use the 3400 harness and impala PCM and everything will work. Correct?
Monday, November 26, 2012 6:48 AM
If you're using a manual transmission, or swapping in the 4t65e, then yes.

Monday, November 26, 2012 7:30 AM
That's what I thought but no one could seem to believe me. Haha
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search