I need help whether these will work. - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
I need help whether these will work.
Monday, June 06, 2011 10:17 PM
Hey so I'm not exactly sure on audio much, but on crutchfield it says that these wont work for my car. They are Alpine type s speakers, 4x6 and 6x9's. Heres the link of both speakers:

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_11570_Alpine-SPS-406.html
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_34374_Alpine-SPS-619.html

I think I saw somewhere, now I cant find the link, but I believe I saw that someone was using Alpine type s speakers in their car. I was just making sure before I went and spent 130 on speakers and cant even hook them up. Thanks for any help.

Re: I need help whether these will work.
Tuesday, June 07, 2011 6:50 AM
4X6 and 6X9 are the factory sizes for our car so they should fit.

150.0 DB, Loudest in Atlantic Canada, Street Class A.
Next year 155 DB
Tuesday, June 07, 2011 2:26 PM
They should fit. I've heard type S co-ax's multiple times, they sound very clean, but are slightly lacking in midbass. Though should still be miles beyond stock. Just FYI.
Tuesday, June 07, 2011 3:26 PM
I'm concerned how I will make it work with the premium sound system. I'm not really experienced with systems, but have electrical and automotive experience. Anyone know the easiest way to bypass the amp and the 4 wires?
Tuesday, June 07, 2011 4:45 PM
http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=4&i=118462&t=118462 scroll down a bit. It is explained how to bypass the factory stuff. Also, are these speakers something you're getting second hand, buying new, or just looking to upgrade? There might be other options to look into. Also, have you heard them in person or looking for the best deal on a good upgrade?

On the other hand....you have other fingers.

"You really need to staple your face shut"-THE Joey Baggs.
Tuesday, June 07, 2011 5:10 PM
JLAudioCavalier wrote:http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=4&i=118462&t=118462 scroll down a bit. It is explained how to bypass the factory stuff. Also, are these speakers something you're getting second hand, buying new, or just looking to upgrade? There might be other options to look into. Also, have you heard them in person or looking for the best deal on a good upgrade?

I'm buying new, and I haven't heard them in person, but I wanted to get something to upgrade my factory speakers, My front two are blown so I figured why not and just upgrade the rear as well.
Tuesday, June 07, 2011 5:40 PM
If just dropping in replacements for the stock speakers is your thing, cool by me. What kind of budget? Also consider that you might want to amp some decent aftermarket speakers down the road, so you might as well spend the money on getting decent ones now that can sound ok off your stock power, but be ampable and really come alive down the road. It will suck when you want it to sound better later, and have to spend money on speakers again to do so.

Tuesday, June 07, 2011 6:28 PM
I was under the impression the Alpine Type S series was a decent set of speakers that could be played well off of the stock stereo unit, but also work great with an aftermarket amp and stereo unit as well. Is that not the case? And I'm in between jobs now so I'm not trying to spend a thousand on an aftermarket system. I think a few hundred is what I'm willing to spend. Probably more like 300 for speakers, and maybe an amp, but I'm not sure if I want to go and grab an amp now. But I was thinking about getting an aftermarket stereo HU as well. I think down the line, I want to have a screen as well, but that's not necessarily a big thing to worry about now.
Tuesday, June 07, 2011 6:41 PM
For a hair over $200 I could get you into some Rainbow drop in replacements. With a budget like that, I would look far past Type S lol. Maybe decent for the price, but they aren't anything to write home about.

If you are JUST looking for speakers at the moment, and saving up later for an amp and aftermarket head unit, then make sure you can get quality speakers. I would personally say instead of 4X6's, get some 5.25's and either make, or buy a baffle adapter for them. You are not getting great sound out of a 4X6's It's a @!#$ty speaker size/design.

Tuesday, June 07, 2011 6:56 PM
JLAudioCavalier wrote:For a hair over $200 I could get you into some Rainbow drop in replacements. With a budget like that, I would look far past Type S lol. Maybe decent for the price, but they aren't anything to write home about.

If you are JUST looking for speakers at the moment, and saving up later for an amp and aftermarket head unit, then make sure you can get quality speakers. I would personally say instead of 4X6's, get some 5.25's and either make, or buy a baffle adapter for them. You are not getting great sound out of a 4X6's It's a @!#$ty speaker size/design.

I was under the impression oval speakers were a bit better then circular. Hmm. What kind of speaker would you recommend?
Tuesday, June 07, 2011 6:57 PM

Tuesday, June 07, 2011 7:12 PM
Oval speakers will not perform better than round in a general sense. I don't know who gave you that idea

Better than the S's absolutely.

Just in case you might be wondering about higher end brands, here's an idea on what Rainbow has to offer in the same price realm as those Type-S speakers you linked:

I've got these for $110 shipped to your door:
http://rainbowcaraudio.com/kx130.html

As for rears the Rainbow 6X9's come in at $150 shipped and can be seen here:
http://rainbowcaraudio.com/kx6x9.html

Just another option, from one of the higher end brands if you wanted to get away from the normal off the shelf stuff.

Tuesday, June 07, 2011 7:31 PM
I'm gonna have to look into it, for sure. I'm not into the audio part of automotive, but I definitely wanting to get into it. I'm more into performance instead of audio, so I don't want to get a crazy heavy system that's for sure. Just something that sounds great, and is pretty reliable.
Tuesday, June 07, 2011 7:43 PM
The thing a lot of people don't understand is that you CAN get great sound, keep weight down, and even not spend as much as you would think.

A good simple way to make things clean, clear, and well rounded would be to just keep it simple with basic stuff tuned and installed right.
A quality head unit
good set of components up front
a single sub/box that can be easily removed.
Then either a pair of amps, or a quality 4 channel to run it all.

You don't need to go nuts to keep your ears more than happy, man.

Wednesday, June 08, 2011 5:41 PM
So I looked up on Rainbow Audio, and from what I saw people were saying they have some of the best sounding speakers, but some of the lifetime is a bit less reliable as other brands. How true is this?
Wednesday, June 08, 2011 6:04 PM
Having seen first hand the build quality on many many of their products, I'm curious as to what they bought, how they installed it, and how they tuned it. I don't see longevity being an issue with Rainbow products. Remember, speakers break 90% of the time because of outside factors. You installed them in doors that got a lot of water in them, you tuned your amp wrong, you turned the volume up past a safe level for the tuning etc.

I personally haven't had a single failure of the Rainbow products I've owned or installed, nor have I had a complaint yet since selling them. Like I said, I'm curious as to ALL the factors involved in the situations where people claimed they weren't reliable.

Wednesday, June 08, 2011 6:19 PM
Ya, I was on a Honda forum when I saw that. I'm not sure on anything on how they tuned their stuff. I'm still on the fence what to get since I need to figure out the best way to bypass and eliminate the factory amp.
Wednesday, June 08, 2011 6:50 PM
It's all up to you on how/when you want to purchase each piece of the audio system. Are you able to save up a bit longer, or buy one piece at a time and just upgrade to something nicer like components/sub/4channel? Like I said, redoing it later sucks, so if you think you might upgrade further down the road, might as well save up now and do it right once.

Wednesday, June 08, 2011 7:12 PM
Well, I'm in between jobs and thought maybe I could just do some stuff to my car while I have the chance not to be employed full time. I think I might just by front speakers for now, because those definitely blown and already taken out. Also, I wanted to do this since I'm already replacing my window motors, since they went out and thought I could just do everything at once instead of do something, then go back and do it again.
Wednesday, June 08, 2011 7:15 PM
Well in that case, go ahead and just throw some new front speakers in. If you are 100% positive you are going to upgrade to a better audio system down the road, just buy something cheap and decent to get you by. Any reasonable aftermarket speaker(such as the Alpine's you linked) are going to be better than blown, old, stock ones. If it's not permanent, just get the Type-S speakers for now, save up, and do a full higher end upgrade later.

Wednesday, June 08, 2011 7:18 PM
Ya. Man, It just sucks how much I want to do everything. but don't have the money, and most of the time, the time to do stuff. Or even the place come to think about it. I need a garage ASAP.

Wednesday, June 08, 2011 7:33 PM
ha yeah. add in that "between jobs" thing. I know what that's like.

Thursday, June 09, 2011 12:02 AM
Man, so for my sake, just to make sure I'm not worrying over nothing, I looked at my rear speakers and seen 2 wires connect to a harness, then 4 wires came out of that and went somewhere else. I looked around the left side of the trunk, but found no amp, would it be on the right, the passenger side? I need to take all my tools out, maybe bring them in the house, but I don't have room for them really
: /

Man...so ya, would the factory amp be on the right side or somewhere under the rear deck? I think if I can find a quick and easy way to bypass and take out the factory amp, maybe use the same radio, for now, I might just end up getting all 4 speakers.
Thursday, June 09, 2011 12:52 AM
Type s are junk in my opinion but they will get you by. I mean if you just want something cheap for sound, then just go to walmart and get some cheap ones.... rather than spend big $$ on one.

Thursday, June 09, 2011 5:07 AM
hell if your low on cash just go to a junkyard and pick up stock replacements for 10 dollars instead of speding money dor halfway decent speakers you know youlle want to replace down the line.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search