mrthompson's 4 door progress thread - Page 14 - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: mrthompson's 4 door progress thread
Wednesday, July 27, 2011 7:44 PM
juicy-j- thanks i have no clue what i am doing for wheels yet since my bolt pattern is going to change. i have some ideas but i have to find the time to actually try them out. lol thanks

Friday, July 29, 2011 5:14 AM
More parts to add to the list- racetonics fuel pump with upgrade harness.

Man I really need to work this thing.

Wednesday, August 03, 2011 1:37 AM
was able to spend a little time on the car. i aleast did get my air strut/ irs mount figured out a little bit. the only thing i did not like was it looks how i have to do it i'm going to lose about 1.5" of drop than i wanted to. i was actually looking to try to get it drop lower. this right now is just an estimate from me doing some eyeball measuring comparing the center of the wheel to the relation of the bottom of the strut. i will not know what the final results are untill i get i all together and on the ground. i really hope i end up lower. now keep in mind this is all for idea to make sure every thing will work, then it will all be welded up properly.

also guy let me know what you guys think of the wheels in silver or black? yes it is sprayed just to get the idea and will be stripped done correctly.

c&c

Wednesday, August 03, 2011 5:04 AM
What the... When did you do the IRS swap? Or am I seeing things? lol

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Wednesday, August 03, 2011 9:47 AM
WHITECAVY wrote:What the... When did you do the IRS swap? Or am I seeing things? lol

thats what i am in the process of doing. lol this would be done if i was not keeping the air ride. lol

Wednesday, August 03, 2011 8:15 PM
I like the idea of swapping over the bracket. The one thing that has kept me from even considering this swap is the rear struts.

Wednesday, August 03, 2011 10:45 PM
Zs Z wrote:I like the idea of swapping over the bracket. The one thing that has kept me from even considering this swap is the rear struts.

thanks spencer sparked the idea for me to do it this when i read his post on the relocation of his front mounts higher.

Monday, August 15, 2011 10:50 PM
more progress. removed the old twist beam rear and started mocking up the irs and checking clearances, drop, and what not. pics and enjoy.

Monday, August 15, 2011 10:59 PM
i have also been looking into other air ride managment systems and i am starting to notice how cheap easy street stuff is. makes me undestand why most people on here hate air on their cars. lol. good part is i have already eliminated the worst part of our suspensions so i think this i going to just going to get better.

Monday, August 15, 2011 11:16 PM
Nice, talk about tucked lol...I swear if I keep seeing indigo Im gona end up repainting indigo again

Tuesday, August 16, 2011 3:36 AM
Jason, good work man. Why is the spare tire wheel gone?

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO

Tuesday, August 16, 2011 8:03 AM
Niiiice, love it

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Tuesday, August 16, 2011 8:37 AM
icemike89 wrote:Nice, talk about tucked lol...I swear if I keep seeing indigo Im gona end up repainting indigo again

i would like to actually tuck more. lol and do it.

-MD- Enforcer wrote:Jason, good work man. Why is the spare tire wheel gone?

it has been removed to build a box to hold my air ride tank and battery.

WHITECAVY wrote:Niiiice, love it

thanks.

Tuesday, August 16, 2011 12:51 PM
very nice do you have to rerun the exhaust? or remount any thing else?
Tuesday, August 16, 2011 3:09 PM
yeahidriveacavalier wrote:very nice do you have to rerun the exhaust? or remount any thing else?

It does have to be a small amount. But for mine I wanted to redo it anyways. it looks like the canister should be able to be put back and the abs should be able to plug back in. So nothing really needing to be moved for the exhaust and modification to the spare tire well. If I had one.

Tuesday, August 16, 2011 7:02 PM
props!

Tuesday, August 16, 2011 7:12 PM
MRThompson (jrthompson) wrote:
yeahidriveacavalier wrote:very nice do you have to rerun the exhaust? or remount any thing else?

It does have to be a small amount. But for mine I wanted to redo it anyways. it looks like the canister should be able to be put back and the abs should be able to plug back in. So nothing really needing to be moved for the exhaust and modification to the spare tire well. If I had one.

thats cool so its a lot less work than i thought. does it bolt pretty much up? and does the rear end just bolt in with four bolts? I think i may just be doing this if i can steal your idea lol
Tuesday, August 16, 2011 7:31 PM
phewes wrote:props!

thanks.

yeahidriveacavalier wrote:

thats cool so its a lot less work than i thought. does it bolt pretty much up? and does the rear end just bolt in with four bolts? I think i may just be doing this if i can steal your idea lol

yeah for the most part it is bolt in. yes it bolts in with the 4 bolts. lenko actually made the find that you can just mount it to the frame rails. he used bolts with washers that he fed through the rail and dropped them down the hole. you have to grind down the sleeves(1/8") on the trailing arms so they fit into the perch where the twist beam mounted. hardest part (to me) is deciding where to mount the cross member. i'm thinking of centering it in the wheel well. basically thats all it takes to mount the irs. all that is left is figuring out what strut to use. i also am suprised how simple this swap is to do and that more don't do it.

Tuesday, August 16, 2011 7:52 PM
Dont tell me that. You have been putting the idea of IRS swapping in my head. Keep it up and i might have to pick up another coupe...

its an old concept. time for something new to take the reigns. - Z yaaaa

Tuesday, August 16, 2011 7:56 PM
Tinkles(Boost Face) wrote:Dont tell me that. You have been putting the idea of IRS swapping in my head. Keep it up and i might have to pick up another coupe...

you know-
Quote:

yeah for the most part it is bolt in. yes it bolts in with the 4 bolts. lenko actually made the find that you can just mount it to the frame rails. he used bolts with washers that he fed through the rail and dropped them down the hole. you have to grind down the sleeves(1/8") on the trailing arms so they fit into the perch where the twist beam mounted. hardest part (to me) is deciding where to mount the cross member. i'm thinking of centering it in the wheel well. basically thats all it takes to mount the irs. all that is left is figuring out what strut to use. i also am suprised how simple this swap is to do and that more don't do it.

Tuesday, August 16, 2011 8:28 PM
from lenko's post.

Lenko, John Lenko wrote:Page 5 ownage!

Car goes up on lift Jay standing by to assist... or mock... whatever...

Test fit... check clearances on spare tire well. Apply hammer.

Suspension bitsssssss

Drill holes, then have Gus thread bolts through with some wire. Thanks Gus!

We put nuts on the bolts... so we wouldn't accidentally knock them back into the frame rail and lose them.

1 big flat washer, 1 lock washer, 1 nut. We're going to add another nut to lock it up there.

Starting to look more like the finished product!

It fits!

Needs some camber adjustment... but we're gonna slot out these bolt holes to accommodate that.

Coming down...

Now like I said... we're still waiting on brake lines and a front e-brake cable... (coming from Edmonton... damnit!) and for me to be off work... so... Thursday... possibly...

I'd like to find flexible braided lines for this.... anyone know who sells a 12 inch one that would work?

only thing i am trying different is seeing if i can reuse the ebrake cable off the cavalier. the setup between the alero and jbody look simuliar. so i will see.

Wednesday, August 17, 2011 4:23 PM
phewes wrote:props!

thanks.

yeahidriveacavalier wrote:

im gonna pick up the alero rear end from u pull it this friday so keep up your progress lol if its pretty much as simple as you say im all for it keep it up and bring on the pics man !
Wednesday, August 17, 2011 4:31 PM
Alot of people dont do it because of the wheel bolt pattern swap and the lack of suspension upgrades.

Id do it in a second if it was oem jbody bolt pattern.
Wednesday, August 17, 2011 4:32 PM
The pics will definitely continue. Thanks.

Wednesday, August 17, 2011 7:20 PM
Philly D wrote:Alot of people dont do it because of the wheel bolt pattern swap and the lack of suspension upgrades.

Id do it in a second if it was oem jbody bolt pattern.

you ninja posted me. lol but if you are wanting to keep the 5x100 in the rear get a hold of jucnbst. he said he thought he found a bearing to retain the 5x100 pattern on the irs swap. so if that is so then it looks like you are able to do this. lol

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search