help with performance upgrades - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
help with performance upgrades
Wednesday, February 10, 2010 9:38 PM
i have a 2004 cavalier, 2.2. ecotec. i already have a weapon-r wai, pacesetter header, magnaflow high flow cat, and full 2.5 inch custom exhaust w/ 29 inch resonator i got in anticipation for a turbo install after i go to/return from iraq. i have the 2.4 ecotec intake manifold w/ adapter plate, 62 mm throttle body, and compcams 113200 stage 1 n/a cams waiting to be installed, and i am trying to find out what i can do to get the best performance out of all this. there is one place in the town i am stationed near that can dyno-tune the car for $100 per hour, which i do plan on using, but i don't think they have much experience with 4 bangers, since this is a hillbilly town. are there any other parts or upgrades i need to buy to get it running good since it is my daily driver? i am a diesel mechanic in the army, but this whole tuning stuff is still new to me. i read forums all the time, but there is always different info being throwout, so might as well hit up the guys who know ecotec cavys the best.

Re: help with performance upgrades
Wednesday, February 10, 2010 10:41 PM
try motor mounts, tranny mounts/mount. other than that you've hit up most the bolt-on's. you could p+p the head. or move on to internals, but really your best friend with what you have done/ will do is a tune.

Thursday, February 11, 2010 4:41 AM
sweet. i forgot to mention i already installed the upper an lower engine mounts bout 6 months ago. so i guess its time to get the tranny mounts now. does a head port an polish really make a significant difference? i figured it wouldn't do much unless you are driving a high power beast.
Thursday, February 11, 2010 5:28 AM
You'll need better valve springs with those cams.

219whp - I <3 whine

Thursday, February 11, 2010 9:48 AM
is it necessary to upgrade the valve springs? i never rev past 5500 to 6000 rpm unless i mis a shift. if it is, which springs could i use at a reasonable price?
Thursday, February 11, 2010 10:13 AM
The stock valve springs cannot support the increased lift that aftermarket cams provide. Quite a few people have had good results with Supertech's 78lb valve springs and can be found at thmotorsports.com for a decent price.

219whp - I <3 whine

Thursday, February 11, 2010 3:22 PM
does anyone know if the HD valvesprings from mantapart.com would be suitable to use with the compcams 113200 stage 1 cams?
Thursday, February 11, 2010 3:32 PM
Get the Super Tech or Ferrea from www.TurboTechRacing.com

They will be better

-Aaron
www.TurboTechRacing.com

Performance Parts For Cavalier, Sunfire, Cobalts and More!!!
Thursday, February 11, 2010 3:41 PM
well i am looking to spend less than 200 at most on valve springs. does anyone have experience with springs from mantaparts.com?
Thursday, February 11, 2010 3:55 PM
louis cobarruviaz wrote:well i am looking to spend less than 200 at most on valve springs. does anyone have experience with springs from mantaparts.com?

do a search for mantapart in this section. i assure you, you'll not buy from them.

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Thursday, February 11, 2010 4:10 PM
if i order the super tech 78 lb. springs, would i need to get new retainers, or could i use the stock ones?

Friday, February 12, 2010 6:20 AM
If you order the spring kit, they will come with the required retainers(yes you need them). What i referenced to you is the CHEAPEST set of quality springs i have seen.

219whp - I <3 whine

Friday, February 12, 2010 2:19 PM
thank you. i just ordered them this morning. side question, what kind of gains can someone normally expect with wai, 62mm tb, 2.4 intake manifold, cams, valve springs, header, hi flow cat, and full 2.5 exhaust? i know it ain't gonna be super quick, but i am hoping for around 25-30 hp/torque gain after all this.
Friday, February 12, 2010 3:44 PM
I'd image you could see what you are hoping for. It would also be a very good idea to pick up a set of stock LSJ injectors, because on a 100% eco they are close to being maxed out already. Search the classifieds on CobaltSS.net and you should be able to get some for cheap.

Do you know if the shop uses HPTuners?

219whp - I <3 whine

Friday, February 12, 2010 3:53 PM
i don't know if they do or not. there's one place in town that mods/tunes hondas regularly and he can use the program he normally uses for them to street tune my car supposedly. or the one place in town that has a dyno can tune it, but they usually just mess with v-8's. i would probably have to travel to Tuscon or more than likely Phoenix just to get tuned with hptuners. would i be able to safely run the stock injectors for a few months?
Friday, February 12, 2010 8:12 PM
I wouldnt and for how cheap Cobalt guys are selling them for, it is a very good idea.

219whp - I <3 whine

Friday, February 12, 2010 8:24 PM
ok, thanks man. i'll look around for those injectors
Sunday, February 14, 2010 8:30 PM
ok, so i got stock lsj injectors with a harness to splice into mine. the guy i got them from is a trifecta tuner dealer who says he can tune 04 l61's which is pretty sweet, and he recommended i get a wideband o2 before i get it tuned. would i need to go buy one of the $200+ o2 sets with gauge and all, or could i get away with only getting the sensor itself? oh, and would there be any adverse effects if i installed the injectors before i got a tune, or can the ecu automatically adjust for them?
Sunday, February 14, 2010 8:53 PM
1st there is no splicing for the LSJ injectors, they plug right into the stock harness. Your stock ECU will not automatically adjust for them. Some people including myself have noticed the LSJ injectors are a tad shorter than the stock L61 injectors.

I ended up inserting 2 small washers under each plastic injector cup.

You dont need a gauge, but you will need the sensor and the module the $200 kits come with.

219whp - I <3 whine

Sunday, February 14, 2010 9:08 PM
i read they were kinda short also, good way to fix it though. and i guess i gotta buy the wideband o2 set then. so, how do i overcome whatever problems that might happen with installing the lsj injectors? get a fuel management system? wait til i'm bout to get tuned and install them immediately beforehand? fuel pressure regulator? sorry, air fuel ratios and fuel management are things i don't understand for nothin.
Sunday, February 14, 2010 9:21 PM
Get the car tuned right after installing them.

219whp - I <3 whine

Sunday, February 14, 2010 9:37 PM
can do. thanks for the advise.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search