help with 3.8L s/c swap into cavi - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
help with 3.8L s/c swap into cavi
Thursday, February 11, 2010 4:55 PM
ok so i know that alot of people have done this swap and kept it fwd. has anyone heard of it being done and makeing a cavalier rwd? i realize that it will be alot of work but i dont mind doing alot of work for a car that i will enjoy building.

i have knowledge and experiance in fabrication so building a full frame to support the car and sit the cavalier body on it will be no problem. also having to relocate anything and everything will be fine with me. just curious if anyone can give me any info as to what tranny i might be able to use, what driveshaft might be close enough to work, what kind of differential and rear end i may need, and any other info that you think may be helpful will be greatly appreciated.

wiseco pistons 8.5:1 (.040 oversize) - $482
eagle h-beam rods - $349
clevette 77 rod and main bearings - $74
machine shop bill(bore and crank cut) - $200
look on buddies face when passing his new Cobalt SS in my
N/A cavalier z24 - PRICELESS

Re: help with 3.8L s/c swap into cavi
Thursday, February 11, 2010 5:03 PM
to be honest, a full frame is not needed.

you really dont even need to modify much to the body to do a RWD.

the most modification takes places in the rear. you can keep the stock front suspension, steering, subframe and all.

Thursday, February 11, 2010 5:08 PM
well i know it fits with the transverse engine sitting left to right but will it still fit if i sit the engine front to back?

and i would feel safer if not a full frame atleast making a perimeter frame out of the unibody for more stability. i know hitting 80 with the ld9 i could feel the body wanting to start to flex at WOT i think with more torque i would need to support the rear or it will begin to flex at a hard launch like the 64-67 impalas would do

eagle h-beam rods - $349
Thursday, February 11, 2010 5:26 PM
honestly man... look at these pics and yull see what i mean.

this engine has WAY more power than the 3800 does and its fine with the stock stuff LOL

Thursday, February 11, 2010 5:43 PM
wow i have never seen that cavalier before. i would not really want a big block chevy but thosepictures do help out alot. do you know if there are any more of the rear from underneath.

thats crazy though

eagle h-beam rods - $349
Thursday, February 11, 2010 8:01 PM
these have been the only ones ive ever seen. if more exist i do not know about them.

Thursday, February 11, 2010 8:22 PM
Dude, your talking about a fully custom built car, not a Cavalier. It doesnt even matter if its a Cavalier at that point. More or less, I dont even see why your asking. This is not something you ask. You think the guy that built that Cav in those pics "asked" if it could be done? Doubtful. He probably just did it.

Thursday, February 11, 2010 9:13 PM
if you really want to do the 3.8 RWD swap, get everything from a T/A and get a custom drive shaft made. then get the 3800SC out of any of the SC cars, and bolt it up. you may have to use the block itself from the T/A and all the internals/heads from the SC engine, as they may be different, I don't know, but you'll be set with the SC RWD "Cav"

JBO Stickers are back!!!! Click Me!!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search