engine swap question - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
engine swap question
Wednesday, February 10, 2010 1:20 PM
would a 97 2.4L engine out of a Sunfire bolt into a 2002 Sunfire?

Re: engine swap question
Wednesday, February 10, 2010 1:31 PM
what engine in the 02? even if its not a straghtforward swap, as i believe something with the egr needs changing and possibly the icm... i'm not a quad guy, so i don't really know.

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Wednesday, February 10, 2010 4:55 PM
chuck benoit wrote:would a 97 2.4L engine out of a Sunfire bolt into a 2002 Sunfire with the same engine. the 02 engine has a bad knock, so i have a line on a 97 engine with low kms.
Wednesday, February 10, 2010 5:49 PM
as long as the engine in the 02 is a 2.4L, yes. the 97 2.4l engine will drop rite in without any real modifications. you will have to re-use some of the parts off of the 02 though. 99+ does not have an EGR system, 96-98 does. you have to remove the EGR system from the 97, if it comes with one. you will need to take the EGR block off plate off of the 02 and put it on the 97 head (blocks the port in the head from the front side). also because no EGR you will need to re-use the exhaust manifold+ gasket from the 02 (blocks the port in the head from the back side) and the intake manifold (96-98 has a flange on the back side for the EGR tube, 99+ does not). the fuel rail and injectors/harness off of the 02 needs to be re-used, (injectors are different). the starter is smaller in the 00+, you need to re-use that. the knock sensor is also different from 96-98 and 99+. now, i know in order to put a 00+ block into a 96-98 car you need to redrill and tap the knock sensor hole. for the other way around, i believe there is an adapter. 11516479 is the part number i have, but i have 0 experience with this part so i'm unsure what it includes or even looks like. everything else is pretty simple. re-use the 02's flywheel+ clutch (or just the flexplate if you've got an auto) as they aren't the same. other than that, the top and bottom engine mounts are the same and i believe all the other harness bits are the same.

theres some actual minor differences with the internals as well. 99+ have flat top pistons, and the combustion chamber is slightly larger, and the exhaust ports are slightly smaller. the 96-98 has very slightly dished pistons and a slightly shallower combustion chamber. you shouldn't notice any real difference in power. thats all i know about, there might be some other minor differences, but they shouldn't interfere with operation.

heres some links that might help.
some details/ discussion about compatability
head info
knock sensor info

hope that helps

Wednesday, February 10, 2010 8:03 PM
o.k. some buddy says that the part #11516479 is not the right adapter, does anyone know for sure because i would like to have everything i need to do the job for less down time.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search