2200 - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Sunday, February 14, 2010 1:43 PM
hey im about to start building my 97 2200 from top to bottom for forced induction and i was just wandering what numbers people are pulling out of there 2200 and on how many pounds. just trying to get a feel for what is possible to pull out of this motor

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u252/TheBraxcave/chevrolet_logo.jpg

Re: 2200
Sunday, February 14, 2010 2:42 PM
Ah hell, here we go...

(just a heads-up, you'll confuse people applying the "2200" term to a '97. 98+ is "2200", 97- is just 2.2L or LN2)

fortune cookie say: better a delay than a disaster
Sunday, February 14, 2010 3:47 PM
With a completely built engine running no boost my machinist said my 2200 was making around 190 crank HP but before people flame me I have NEVER dyno'd my car & have no proof what so ever to back this up or say that's a load of crap. I will just say this, the builder runs two of the fastest GMs at the local strip and he said he got his numbers from a bench dyno.

With all that being said I built my motor solely for boost. I have never dyno'd my car for the reason of it was never running boost up until now and hopefully in a few weeks I will have numbers for us all running 20lbs+ of boost and a 100 shot.

Sunday, February 14, 2010 6:51 PM
Bring on the h8ers, haha. Not much love for the 2200. Maybe I should try to be popular and say something moronic like: "you could spend less money for more HP if you just swapped in a 2.4"

"In Oldskool we trust"
Sunday, February 14, 2010 7:12 PM
under 200 horsepower to the wheels without a large sum of money. but please, go ahead and try to build it up so that someone here can say they have and cheaply =)

Sunday, February 14, 2010 8:49 PM
Knowing what I know now I wouldn't do it over. The engine build costed me $4k alone not to mention turbo set up. I don't regret it but I should have swaped engines before doing this all to a 2200 but oh well enjoy and don't worry about what others think. You'll never please all J owners!

Monday, February 15, 2010 2:13 AM
Most of what I've seen for the Ln2 has been from 98-02 motors but, since your working with a 97, I would suggest looking into a top feed conversion for your motor to meet any fuel demands your going to run into with boost. Otherwise your main bottle necks would be the top feed and the cylinder head for making power on your motor. Throw some rods/pistons in the block, do the top feed conversion, have the head worked over and get a solid tune and your set imo.

Monday, February 15, 2010 5:15 AM
$4k bluk... i spend under $1000 and make over 200 WHP... but im fully race built right on the ragged edge 12:1 with race gas carb and distributor
Monday, February 15, 2010 7:31 AM
OK well I don't own a shop & have the knowledge to do my own port work. Here since I am being called out let me break it down for you. And if you still don't believe me I have EVERY receipt for everything ever done to this car including ALL oil changes.

Port work $1,300 which included the following:

3 angle valve job
Balanced, blue printed, bored and sleeved block
flow benching of my cam (Mantapart didn't provide me with a spec card)
honing of stock intake manifold

Eagle rods $400 (purchased when they were first made)
Childs and Albert pistons $600 (custom made for larger bore and custom compression) (8.5:1 compression)
mantapart stainless steel valves $175
Mantapart Camshaft $225
Crane Roller rocker arms $275
Cometic head gasket $125
crank shaft edge knifing $300

That brings us up to $3375. Now add in ARP studs and bolts, gaskets, all engine sensors, oil, tax and because I am a nice guy I gave the builder a tip. Sorry if you feel I over paid but I am not looking for 200hp. I am looking for around 4-500whp running north of 20lbs of boost while spraying a 100+ shot direct port daily.

Next we going to get into why I built a 4T40E transmission or why it costed me around $3000? Maybe we could discuss my turbo setup.....

Monday, February 15, 2010 8:21 AM
4-500whp........
!!!!
Monday, February 15, 2010 8:42 AM
paul bateman wrote:4-500whp........
!!!!
Is this a "WoW, that would be cool!" , or a "yeah fu(king right.. " comment?

P&P Tuning
420.5whp / 359.8wtq

Monday, February 15, 2010 10:28 AM
both really... lol.. but not the latter in a bad way..

Im a firm believer that anything is possible and telling someone they cant only makes it more likely to happen.. lol
500whp out of wimpy stock motor that puts down what? about 80whp.. it seems rather high to me, so that would be my in-experienced "yeah right" side.. but based on your signature alone, its not out of the realm of possibility..

I'll always love seeing guys hit new hp limits and will always encourage it... its not my time and money after all! lol... but yeah... that would be cool and i'd love to see it..
Monday, February 15, 2010 10:36 AM
paul bateman wrote:both really... lol.. but not the latter in a bad way..

Im a firm believer that anything is possible and telling someone they cant only makes it more likely to happen.. lol
500whp out of wimpy stock motor that puts down what? about 80whp.. it seems rather high to me, so that would be my in-experienced "yeah right" side.. but based on your signature alone, its not out of the realm of possibility..

I'll always love seeing guys hit new hp limits and will always encourage it... its not my time and money after all! lol... but yeah... that would be cool and i'd love to see it..
Its all good... I just wanted a lil clarification... I finally got my new wastegate, so new numbers should be coming soon. Just need the weather to cooperate...

P&P Tuning
420.5whp / 359.8wtq

Monday, February 15, 2010 11:51 AM
paul bateman wrote:both really... lol.. but not the latter in a bad way..

Hey its a goal not a promise. I have seen D16Y Civics putting down those numbers so why not a Chevy? I am not trying to be the fastest Cavalier in the world just one of the fastest 2200 owners. All in all no matter what happens it's a hell of a lot faster than it was when I bought it that alone was the original goal.

Monday, February 15, 2010 2:57 PM
Josh G. wrote:OK well I don't own a shop & have the knowledge to do my own port work. Here since I am being called out let me break it down for you. And if you still don't believe me I have EVERY receipt for everything ever done to this car including ALL oil changes.

Port work $1,300 which included the following:

3 angle valve job
Balanced, blue printed, bored and sleeved block
flow benching of my cam (Mantapart didn't provide me with a spec card)
honing of stock intake manifold

Eagle rods $400 (purchased when they were first made)
Childs and Albert pistons $600 (custom made for larger bore and custom compression) (8.5:1 compression)
mantapart stainless steel valves $175
Mantapart Camshaft $225
Crane Roller rocker arms $275
Cometic head gasket $125
crank shaft edge knifing $300

That brings us up to $3375. Now add in ARP studs and bolts, gaskets, all engine sensors, oil, tax and because I am a nice guy I gave the builder a tip. Sorry if you feel I over paid but I am not looking for 200hp. I am looking for around 4-500whp running north of 20lbs of boost while spraying a 100+ shot direct port daily.

Next we going to get into why I built a 4T40E transmission or why it costed me around $3000? Maybe we could discuss my turbo setup.....

Who did you have build the motor? I ask because I don't live to far from you. I'm over in Largo and looking for a shop to work on mine.
Monday, February 15, 2010 4:49 PM
Harris performance in Dunedin off of 580 just west of Keene. The owner/machinist is Bill, super nice guy and knows his sh!t about GMs. His son has a sick ass Honda

Monday, February 15, 2010 6:52 PM
i love to see everybody so gunhoe to build there ln2 or 2200 not bashing either one but i have yet to see any body post real numbers just hopfeull ones

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u252/TheBraxcave/chevrolet_logo.jpg
Monday, February 15, 2010 7:14 PM
white97 j-bod wrote:i love to see everybody so gunhoe to build there ln2 or 2200 not bashing either one but i have yet to see any body post real numbers just hopfeull ones
See my sig... Those are real numbers....

P&P Tuning
420.5whp / 359.8wtq

Monday, February 15, 2010 7:55 PM
And you sir are the exact reason I feel my goal is possible Your numbers are damn impressive.

Tuesday, February 16, 2010 2:23 PM
QWK LN2 (aka ImPhat0260) wrote:See my sig... Those are real numbers....
Yeah if your looking for documented numbers then I believe Ryan is leading the way right now.
Wednesday, February 17, 2010 8:05 AM
i will have all motor numbers in teh spring as the engine is on the bench in pieces, adn teh crank is off getting a wieght reduction hahahahaha

Wednesday, February 17, 2010 2:43 PM
Bob! You gonna dyno that lil beast?! I know you'll have some crazy N/A numbers for us! lol

Wednesday, February 17, 2010 2:50 PM
QWK LN2 (aka ImPhat0260) wrote:
white97 j-bod wrote:i love to see everybody so gunhoe to build there ln2 or 2200 not bashing either one but i have yet to see any body post real numbers just hopfeull ones

that with a shot of nitrous? or just turbo?

Wednesday, February 17, 2010 6:10 PM
Josh wrote:
QWK LN2 (aka ImPhat0260) wrote:

that with a shot of nitrous? or just turbo?
No spray.... All turbo. Its got more in it. Finally got my new wastegate, just need to strap her down and retune...... Just waiting for weather to break....

P&P Tuning
420.5whp / 359.8wtq

Wednesday, February 17, 2010 7:27 PM
I wonder what your numbers would look like with a equal length tubular manifold.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search