Oil cleaning before installing turbo - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Oil cleaning before installing turbo
Thursday, March 09, 2006 9:36 PM
Wich is the best way to clean the engine oil before putting a turbo. I heard putting fuel directly in the engine oil without running the car OR putting half transmission oil and engine oil and run the car.

Re: Oil cleaning before installing turbo
Friday, March 10, 2006 12:25 AM
ummmm I don't think putting trans. fluid in your engine is a good idea lol

Friday, March 10, 2006 6:42 AM
I was told that transm. oil was a better than engine oil and that it was a very good cleaner for engine.
Friday, March 10, 2006 7:00 AM
Ever heard of Engine flush??? I just put some in before you change your oil and let it run for about 10 min. Than drain the oil, change the filter and add new oil.

............super 60 on its way
Friday, March 10, 2006 8:50 AM
The easiest method is to just change the damn oil. You don't need to clean your engine anything special for a turbo install.

I used to race cars, now I race myself.
5K PB: 24:50
10K PB: 54:26
Friday, March 10, 2006 9:08 AM
brandon george (lazy ecotec) wrote:ummmm I don't think putting trans. fluid in your engine is a good idea lol

actually your sorta wrong... trans fluid is much much thinner than regular oil. If you put half and half oil and let it run for a while maybe drive (not hard) for a few miles then change it it will help with cleaning out the oil. Now if its extremly bad. well.. I don't know what to tell you. But adding fuel to the oil directly I would think this is not a wise idea. first of all it breaks down the oil which causes less friction. thus............

**changes are here**

Friday, March 10, 2006 9:11 AM
Why would you want to "clean the oil" and not just change it?

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Friday, March 10, 2006 9:14 AM
^^yeah^^ or change it more frequently until it becomes more cleaner.

**changes are here**

Friday, March 10, 2006 11:15 AM
Yeah I will just chage it frequently! Thanks!

The fuel is not added to the oil, you drain the oil, you put fuel, you let fuel drain and evaporation a couple hours....
Friday, March 10, 2006 11:48 AM
That would only clean out the timing chain area (on 2.4's and eco's) and the pan. You're going to be dropping the pan anyway (I assume, you need to fill out your registry), just clean that then.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Saturday, March 11, 2006 6:41 AM
Great! Thanks for infos!

Saturday, March 11, 2006 9:14 PM
I work at an automotive shop, and if the person comes in and says...gosh, i havent had my oil changed in 7-8000 miles...we drain a little oil out and put in some tranny fluid then run it for like 45 seconds, and drain it again, tranny fluid has detergents in it, and if the oil is all gummy and nasty, it will clean some of that out. Also, make sure the motor is warm when u change the oil, then all of the oil will come out. And if you still have doubts, change the oil, then a couple days later, change it again. The also do have that engine treatment stuff....I will probably use some of that every now and then when I get the turbo motor back in and running again.
Sunday, March 12, 2006 1:37 AM
all i did was drain it right as i started putting in my turbo kit... and it drained for a few days... then i had to change out my oil pan for my other one with the drain line taped in it and it was nice and clean and no @!#$ in it at all... and since the oil had drained for a few days there was not really left in the engine and no crap left in the bottom of the oil pan so when i put the new oil in i couldn't even see it on the dip stick and even after a week of driving i could just start to see it on the dip stick...

another way we do it with my dads car that only get driven during the summer is right when we get it out of storage we drain all the oil we can... then put in some cheep oil and drive it around till it gets warmed up then come back and drain all of that out, then put the good oil in and it gives the same results as the 1st way i said how i did it on my car...

The First Twin Charged jbody
blue car (R.I.P) - 240whp @7psi..
silver car - 305whp 315lbs.tq @15psi (91 Octane) or 420whp & 425lbs.TQ @20psi (94 octane+Alcohol Injection)
All dynos run on a Mustang dyno
Sunday, March 12, 2006 2:22 AM
How about changing the oil since you have to drop the oil pan anyways? BRILLIANT!!! Oh, and since you will be turboing, you're going to be changing the oil every 1500 miles anyways (you're stupid if you don't). And I might also add, SeaFoam is your friend. 1 oz / qt of oil, directly into your crankcase.

I was a retard, and now I'm permanently banned.
Sunday, March 12, 2006 3:40 AM
why would you change your oil ever 1500kms (2400kms) with a turbo? it doesnt change any thing... you dont see turbo cars from factory having to come in ever 1500miles for oil change... hell we change the oil every 3100miles (5000kms) on our 1987 Buick GNX... and never had a problem... I would say do it every 5000kms or 3100miles and you will be fine....

silver car - 305whp 315lbs.tq @15psi (91 Octane) or 420whp & 425lbs.TQ @20psi (94 octane+Alcohol Injection)
Sunday, March 12, 2006 6:56 AM
Josh F wrote:why would you change your oil ever 1500kms (2400kms) with a turbo? it doesnt change any thing... you dont see turbo cars from factory having to come in ever 1500miles for oil change... hell we change the oil every 3100miles (5000kms) on our 1987 Buick GNX... and never had a problem... I would say do it every 5000kms or 3100miles and you will be fine....

I agree,

however thats exactly it....... our car isn't turbocharged stock, and the oilling system on these cars (j-body's) aren't as good as factory turbo cars, I change every 1500kms........

the oil is rather dark at that point, because I don't use an oil cooler......

if everyone of us j-body owners used an oil cooler, 5000kms would be fine, heat damage and breaking down of the oil happens MUCH faster, thats all......

Lee

JDM Civic Hatch
14.224 @ 102.01MPH @ 5.5psi.... 2.3 60'
Next: Civic JDM B16a2 w/GSR LSD Turbo - Goal 300whp 1400lbs...
Sunday, March 12, 2006 8:09 AM
Spotabee Racing (The Fake Z24) wrote:How about changing the oil since you have to drop the oil pan anyways? BRILLIANT!!! Oh, and since you will be turboing, you're going to be changing the oil every 1500 miles anyways (you're stupid if you don't). And I might also add, SeaFoam is your friend. 1 oz / qt of oil, directly into your crankcase.

What is SeaFoam?
Sunday, March 12, 2006 3:24 PM
Boosted cavy... only difference is now your oil is going threw the turbo... the cooling system for the entire vehical isnt changed really if you think about it.. and your probably using the same oil that boosted cars from factory are using any way... so the oil isnt going to break down any different...

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search