turbo questions about the 2.2 ecotec. - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
turbo questions about the 2.2 ecotec.
Saturday, September 13, 2008 9:23 PM
would the AEM F/IC controller work for the tuning?
how much boost will the 2.2 eco hold SAFELY with a GOOD tune?
what size injectors should i use for this amount?

Re: turbo questions about the 2.2 ecotec.
Saturday, September 13, 2008 11:48 PM
Brandon Ebert wrote:would the AEM F/IC controller work for the tuning?
how much boost will the 2.2 eco hold SAFELY with a GOOD tune?
what size injectors should i use for this amount?

Haven't heard of it
Depends on car and driver and conditions
Depends on future plans

I used to race cars, now I race myself.
5K PB: 24:50
10K PB: 54:26
Monday, September 15, 2008 4:27 AM
ok you have a turboed cav correct? AND YOU NEVER HEARD OF THE AEM F/IC? fuel/ignition controller. what are you running for a tune? a piggyback? hp tuners? ok 10 psi? best size injectors?
Monday, September 15, 2008 7:19 AM
10psi from what turbo?

Boost isnt the same for every turbo. We need specs to help you out.

I used to race cars, now I race myself.
5K PB: 24:50
10K PB: 54:26
Monday, September 15, 2008 9:11 PM
its a simple question. for instance my integra has 180cc injectors stock i have 15 psi with 550cc injectors. the stock 2.2 ecotec injectors will not support the fuel need for the 10 pounds of air per square inch. that bein said you need a bigger injector to support the air/fuel ratio. if you dont have the right mixture of air and fuel you motor will not last long at all. its called DETONATION. ill just do some research could you at least tell me what the standard size injectors is? cc's or lbs
Tuesday, September 16, 2008 10:33 AM
got the answers. SS cobalt injectors, AEM will work because the car is OBD2 and the F/IC is for OBD2 tuning. and 8 psi is the max he wants. so thanks for all the info.
Tuesday, September 16, 2008 11:02 AM
your comparing two differnt worlds....and honestly sound likea tard

Tuesday, September 16, 2008 11:50 AM
If you're going touse Cobalt SS/SC injectors you're going to have to use the 2002 Ectec fuel rail. the 03+ is too tall.

2003 White Cavalier LS Sport Coupe
Tuesday, September 16, 2008 2:46 PM
Liquidplamsa wrote:your comparing two differnt worlds....and honestly sound likea tard

2 different worlds huh? the cars have the same components. 2 cams, 4 pistons, 4 spark plugs. the only difference is the ecotec doesnt have variable-valve timing electronically controlled. and is revolves clockwise and the vtec is counter clockwise. therefore when you force air into the engine its the same @!#$ concept.
Tuesday, September 16, 2008 7:53 PM
Actually he's right, they are two different worlds. A honda engine is nothing like a Chevy engine in terms of its overall design. Sure they have the same basic components but they are all utilized differently.

i.e a honda head is designed to flow a LOT more than a head on an ecotec.... you'd have to hog it out a HELL of a lot to get it up to that level. We need to run heavier cams because we cannot run the dual cam profile of a VTEC engine which in turn affects our compression ratio and turbo selection. Higher compression is utilized stock in a Honda than the Ecotec. You never mentioned what kind of fuel you plan to run... how are we to know your upper threshold if we do not know what fuel you plan to run? It could be 8 psi on 87 octane, 11 on 91, or 17 on 110 octane race gas. Are you going to utilize alcohol injection? What size intercooler do you plan to use? Are you hoping to tune it a bit rich for safety or are you going to tune it spot on? Are you looking to get the most out of it with ignition timing or just be safe?

We cannot answer anything unless we know what you plan to use and how you plan to use it. Otherwise it would just be a bunch of guys guessing and that's no help to you.

Also...

10 PSI from a T25 is nothing like 10 PSI from a T3/04e Hybrid which is nothing like 10 PSI from a GT35r.

360cc injectors may be too big for the T25, just enough for the T3/04e and way too small for the GT35r.

Which is why it was asked what turbo are you planning on using... and what future plans do you have with the car. You want to leave room with an injector both for a bit of future plans ( possibly a bit more boost ) plus Duty cycle to spare.

Don't get all uppity when people ask you for clarification... you REALLY are coming off as a tard because you asked for help, and instead of giving more info you're just acting like you know more than the people to whom you're asking the question.

Just answer the questions and you will get more help. Cobalt SS/SC injectors are hardly enough for the supercharger I doubt they are enough for a properly sized turbo at a decent psi.

As for the AEM F/IC controller... don't get in somebody's face for not knowing what it is. The J-body is hardly supported by the rest of the industry so we have but a FEW tuning tools at our disposal. I have not heard of a AEM F/IC either, and not because I'm stupid but because I didn't know it was an option for us... still unsure as to whether it is. The only proven method is either a Tec III, GM Reflash (not able to be tuned), Megasquirt, or HPTUNERS.

Good luck with your project but curb the attitude.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Tuesday, September 16, 2008 8:03 PM
end of discussion, im pretty sure that hits the nail on the head with that one.

03 Sunfire - Sold.

Wednesday, September 24, 2008 10:52 AM
heres what i got. from my friend told me what he wants to use.
gt35 turbo
ss cobalt injectors
tial wastegate 38mm
turbo xs rfl BOV
AEM F/IC
universal intercooler kit
custom down pipe

will this set up will work well for the 2.2 eco?
Wednesday, September 24, 2008 10:59 AM
Brandon Ebert wrote:heres what i got. from my friend told me what he wants to use.
gt35 turbo
ss cobalt injectors
tial wastegate 38mm
turbo xs rfl BOV
AEM F/IC
custom down pipe

I would recommend adding a Venom Module for good measure.

Mitsu TD06-20g |3" Turbo-back Exhaust | 61mm Bored TB |
HP Tuners | Innovate WB02 | Spec Stage 3 | Team Green LSD | TurboTech Upper | Full Addco Sways | Sportlines & Yellows |
Wednesday, September 24, 2008 12:48 PM
Those injectors are probably too small for the GT35. That is one Monster turbo.

2003 White Cavalier LS Sport Coupe
Wednesday, September 24, 2008 12:55 PM
You will need to run atleast 440's those ss/sc ones are to short and small. Also id be curious about the size of the wastegate and if it will work ok.
Wednesday, September 24, 2008 8:51 PM
so try to get ahold of some ford green tops? he is also thinkin about a garrett t04e with .58 hot side.
Thursday, September 25, 2008 1:49 PM
just so i dont make a new thread new to the j-body's so i'm trying to get it to run a little happier than stock. i want a sleeper that will do a good 1/4mi time and handle good in autocross style race. its a 05 sunfire with the 2.2L eco and a 4spd auto

i'm looking at the TD05H 16G (can get it for $100 from a honda builder i know)
i haven't decided on injectors yet thinking ford green tops
rest of it will just be universal parts cheap front mount intercooler
HPTuner
rest of it i'm lost on

oh and i'm coming off of a 90 civic LX w/ the 1.6L Si engine and another 4spd auto so please be nice to me

2005 Sunfire 2.2L ecotec
stock for now turbo for later
Thursday, September 25, 2008 2:15 PM
Brandon Ebert wrote:heres what i got. from my friend told me what he wants to use.
gt35 turbo
ss cobalt injectors
tial wastegate 38mm
turbo xs rfl BOV
AEM F/IC
custom down pipe

You need a bigger wastegate. The 38mm wont hold the gt35 back!! Its too much of a beast!!

Friday, September 26, 2008 11:00 AM
Stitch wrote:Those injectors are probably too small for the GT35. That is one Monster turbo.

He"s right.. Im running that turbo and 580's werent big enough.... ended up with 780's . Duty cycle is a shade over 60%. As for the AEM thing, never herd of it ! HpTuners is your best bet or a full stand alone.

491whp, 393wtq
11.93@ 127mph
Raven Autosports (902)850-3330

Sunday, September 28, 2008 1:35 PM
yeah hpt is the best bet but is so damn expensive. the fuel ignition controller i can pick one up from a friend for 150 bucks. so the best bet for the injectors is some 780s? those are huge!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search