Higher Compression + M62 - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Higher Compression + M62
Sunday, September 14, 2008 8:54 PM
I'm just wondering if anybody has gone UP in compression ratio, say to 10.5 - 11: 1 with the M62. The highest whp output I've seen on these boards with the M62 is 248 from California Domestics. I'm wondering what you guys think the upper limit of the M62 is, with boosted CR, and if it would be doable without race gas.

I originally wanted to go with the stage 2 HRC kit, but cost and complexity has caused me to reconsider. My goals are still set way too high for my own good, and I'd be willing to compromise slightly for ease and frugality.

Thanks.

Fusion 9 Design // For all your web design needs!

Re: Higher Compression + M62
Monday, September 15, 2008 4:19 AM
I don't recall reading of anyone raising static CR with the M62. An alternative to that route, though, would be a wild ported head and comp blower cams - this would allow you to make more power per pound of boost instead of mor heat, and it should still run on pump gas. It just seems like with all the heat generated by the L61/M62 combo, do you really want to introduce more with higher CR? With race fuel it would be a beast, but it would be harder to tune on pump gas.

Monday, September 15, 2008 7:04 AM
The whole build would eventually include a P&P head, larger TB, larger intake mani, comp blower cams, ported SC, header, exhaust, increased CR, water/meth injection, and pretty much anything else I could do to help out. Up until this point my research has been mostly turbo based, so I'm not all too sure what I'm talking about. I've got the general boost information down, but obviously a sc is different than a turbo.

Monday, September 15, 2008 10:15 AM
My original goal was 350 whp, and I'd "settle" for 300 whp, but I'm wondering if it's possible with the m62. I guess I could just go with the SC and push it as hard as I can and hope for the best.

Monday, September 15, 2008 10:26 AM
1. more compression plus the Heaton unit = a no no. I don't see a reason why with a build motor you wouldn't crack 300.
I have confidence in airtonics to be the first one to do it.
If it weren't for college taking all of my extra cash, I would have had a built m62 l61 a while ago. 300 whp is attainable seeing as I made 231 with the stock pulley and completely stock motor.

Now 300 whp on the gm reflash might not be attainable lol but with the aid of HPT, I don't see why not.

Monday, September 15, 2008 10:38 AM
Yeah, I was afraid of what a heaton plus higher compression might mean. I'm just looking for as big of numbers as I can get with the M62. With a turbocharger it'd be relatively easy, and I was just hoping somebody has cracked 300 with the M62, so I could just copy/paste their mods

Monday, September 15, 2008 10:40 AM
Why do you consider the HAN kit complex? It's pretty f'n easy to install. Actually it takes less modifying to install than the GMPP SC, tuning is a basic with HRC but a boost gauge and wb02 are necessities. Both California Domestics and I ditched our SC's in favor of the HAHN kits.

I went HRC2 to GMPP SC (Cali smog reasons) to HRC5. I just about hated everyday with the supercharger compared to the HRC2 kit. The ONLY way I'd get the GMPP SC over an HRC is if I had an automatic. If cost is a big reason click my sig. I have an HRC5 for sale that put down 285WHP on an otherwise stock motor.

Monday, September 15, 2008 10:47 AM
You're forgetting (or just not aware of) my mechanical expertise, which includes the installation of an intake and a short throw. If I got lazy enough, I could take the car to a dealer and let them dick with the installation of the supercharger. I'd much rather go with the HRC kit, but I'm trying to be realistic here. I don't exactly know many (read: any) people on this board that would throw away a weekend or two to help me out. Nevermind the tuning headache, I don't know if I'd trust HPT to run a turbo set up on our cars, which means I'd have to go with a standalone...

Monday, September 15, 2008 12:24 PM
Dude no offense but you are way out of your leage here. Face it you work at a pizza joint delivering pizzas with your cav last I new and you are not handy with the wrench.

By the way your best bet would be a turbo for the 350whp mark or even 300. And yes HP tuners can be used to tune for that many on here have done it so a stand alone is not a needed but would obviuosly be better.

FORGET GIRLS GONE WILD WE HAVE GOVERNMENT SPENDING GONE WILD!

Monday, September 15, 2008 12:25 PM
Well my HRC5 comes 97% tuned. It could use some fine tuning via the portfueler setup, it's a little on the rich (safe) side of things.

Monday, September 15, 2008 12:32 PM
Wade Jarvis wrote:Dude no offense but you are way out of your leage here. Face it you work at a pizza joint delivering pizzas with your cav last I new and you are not handy with the wrench.

I'm well aware of my limitations, which is why I'm saying it's more realistic for me to opt for the supercharger kit. I fail to see what my occupation has to do with this though.

Wade Jarvis wrote:By the way your best bet would be a turbo for the 350whp mark or even 300. And yes HP tuners can be used to tune for that many on here have done it so a stand alone is not a needed but would obviuosly be better.

The reason I wouldn't want to get tuned with HPT is because of it's partial throttle boost limitations.

Monday, September 15, 2008 12:38 PM
Wade Jarvis wrote:Dude no offense but you are way out of your leage here. Face it you work at a pizza joint delivering pizzas with your cav last I new and you are not handy with the wrench.

By the way your best bet would be a turbo for the 350whp mark or even 300. And yes HP tuners can be used to tune for that many on here have done it so a stand alone is not a needed but would obviuosly be better.

Never underestimate anyone.

on another note if you want man just read the instructions it is pretty straight forward.

and to be honest the blower install is WAY easier than a hahn install.

No tapping, no dealing with the tightness of space and rusted exhaust manifold bolts, routing charge pipes.

The only part about the blower set up that MIGHT be hard to some people is dremeling away that one spot. besides that whats hard about it?

Monday, September 15, 2008 12:48 PM
If you go turbo you could use the Hahn Portfueler and HP tuners. That is what I am doing now. And the portfueler is a great setup and is very driver friendly. Use the port fueler for your fueling and use Hp tuners for timing and rev limiter or what ever you want..
Monday, September 15, 2008 6:40 PM
By the way, it's not that I'm NOT handy with a wrench, I just haven't had much experience... yet.

Monday, September 15, 2008 6:43 PM
You'll never learn if you pay for your installs.

Monday, September 15, 2008 9:44 PM
Bumper Killer (Ron Carvalho) wrote:By the way, it's not that I'm NOT handy with a wrench, I just haven't had much experience... yet.

i never did a SC install before mine, its not too tricky if you have all the parts

12.33 @ 111.67 mph [Oct 2009]
Dyno'd on 08/02/09 - Mustang Dyno:
327.6 WHP 333.6 WTQ [10.1 AFR]
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search