not getting full boost? - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
not getting full boost?
Tuesday, September 30, 2008 8:13 PM
I was wondering if this is a problem or normal? I have a 04 cav with the 2.2 eco and a T3 out of a nissan 300zx 1987 ish. .63 ar hot and the compressor side im not sure. Only reason i know the hot side becuase its stamped on the housing and I beleive the comp. wheel is a 50 trim. moving on.........

Ive drove my car around with this turbo set up for about 2 years now maybe longer, about 25000 miles worth. My internal wastegate is set at 7 psi this whole time. never made over 2 PSI in first gear and I hit full boost in second and third at around 3k to 3.5k rpms. Recenly I upped the boost to 9 PSI and added bigger injectors but I still see only 7 PSI in second and then third Ill see the full 9.

so 2ish PSI in first, 7psi in second and full in third. Is this normal for a .63 housing size? should I be getting full boost in all gears or is the turbos hot side kinda big and my engine doesnt produce enough torque to spin it to full boost? what do you guys think?

Re: not getting full boost?
Sunday, October 05, 2008 9:05 AM
are you intercooled?

Sunday, October 05, 2008 9:36 AM
Clogged exhaust can cause boost issues.

I used to race cars, now I race myself.
5K PB: 24:50
10K PB: 54:26
Sunday, October 05, 2008 10:21 AM
My 04 cav did the same thing. I think it has to do with the stock intake manifold and that the car does not read boost. I just got the Hahn port fueler and dyno tuned it again and the car runs so different and so much better!!! The port fueler has a 4 runner aluminum intake manifold and has it own computer to read boost so it does all the fueling for you.... and I can hit 15psi in all gears..I recommend it to anyone that turbos their ecotec..
Sunday, October 05, 2008 3:14 PM
That turbo is not so big that you wouldnt spool by 3000. I would check for vacuum leaks first of all, that could be the easiest and cheapest solution. Do you have an exhaust leak at all?

" To study and not think is a waste. To think and not study is dangerous. "
Sunday, October 05, 2008 7:28 PM
Im intercooled yes, as far as cloged or leaky exhaust I dont think so, its straight through without a cat and straight throught muffler. I remeber when I wasnt intercooled when the pipes were very minimum it had that same spool time, so I dont think I have a boost leak. I guess Im gonna have to break down and do a leak check to be on the safe side.
Tuesday, October 07, 2008 8:22 AM
285whpcavy wrote:My 04 cav did the same thing. I think it has to do with the stock intake manifold and that the car does not read boost. I just got the Hahn port fueler and dyno tuned it again and the car runs so different and so much better!!! The port fueler has a 4 runner aluminum intake manifold and has it own computer to read boost so it does all the fueling for you.... and I can hit 15psi in all gears..I recommend it to anyone that turbos their ecotec..

You have no idea what your talking about dude....

1) I've made over 300WHP and run 17PSI on the stock intake manifold. That has nothing to do with it...PERIOD.
2) The car not reading boost wouldn't effect his boost levels...just his tunability.
3) Yes Portfueler is better, but any intake manifold other than stock will perform better than the stock one.

Tuesday, October 07, 2008 12:10 PM
That is why I said I THINK it might be that. My cav ran good also with the stock intake manifold but didn't like 1st gear and sometimes 2nd gear. Ok dude?
Tuesday, October 07, 2008 12:25 PM
you really love a fight man....

deekster I know you dont remember me but you were pretty much the only one to help me when I first started my project 2 years ago I was so excited that someone actually gave a damn I named my turbo little deek. creeped out yet but what can I say I was young plus Im pretty sure you went threw every question I had and broke it down for me and taught me the basics. I can honestly say you showed me the ropes. since then I have pretty much devoted my life to cars. I didnt know you were still around it seems like you went inactive for a while. but all BS aside I guess I owe you a thanks

any who, with your boost issue. your setup makes for an interesting diag simply becuase youve been A, running it so long and B, have had very linear results while driving (I.E. the car has pretty much behaved the same everytime you drove it)

like you said you were going to. breaking down the setup and throwing it back together is a great thing if for no other reason playing with cars is fun. but I dont think your going to find a vacuum leak. for starters your only real vacuum related compents (assuming your still running the setup that you have in you profile) are your bov, your waste gate, and your fmu. first off if your waste gate is leaking youd know. if it was your fmu, youd know. which leaves us with the bov if your BOV is leaking the only real signs would be a weak relase of blow off, and mild compressor surge. however with it leaking under boost there is a chance (very very small ) that it could be keeping the diapraham from closing causing a leak in pressure.

what I think you may want to look at is your charge pipes. first check for any leaks what so ever in the couplers and welds (the smallest leak can make a difference) also check to see how well they flow. a common problem I see is that people will take there 90 degree and shove the pipe all the way into it. what this does is acutally make a restriction by leaving only a small gap for air to escape from between the pipe and the bottom of the coupler. also check for pinches in any of the charge pathway also, when was the last time you checked your shaft...... (hehe) theres a good chance it might have some sludge built up.

let us know and honestly man thank you

"Kick azz is my boost hero!!! "
Tuesday, October 07, 2008 6:02 PM
Quote:

I think it has to do with the stock intake manifold and that the car does not read boost.

I kinda figure that that wasnt my problem but thanks for the input.

Quote:

you really love a fight man....

deekster I know you dont remember me but you were pretty much the only one to help me when I first started my project 2 years ago I was so excited that someone actually gave a damn I named my turbo little deek. creeped out yet but what can I say I was young plus Im pretty sure you went threw every question I had and broke it down for me and taught me the basics. I can honestly say you showed me the ropes. since then I have pretty much devoted my life to cars. I didnt know you were still around it seems like you went inactive for a while. but all BS aside I guess I owe you a thanks

Wow....Didnt see that coming, hehehehe.....THanks Jcavi for the compliments and such, I do remeber you from a couple of posts a while ago and Ive been checking this site everyday since...just havent been posting anything becuase , well, I didnt need to. Ive been happy with my setup and its been reliable ever since! from 5 PSI straight pipe to the throttle bodie with stock exhaust to intercooled with 9 PSI and open exhaust and some minor goodies, I have to say tho it runs great!

Quote:

for starters your only real vacuum related compents (assuming your still running the setup that you have in you profile) are your bov, your waste gate, and your fmu. first off if your waste gate is leaking youd know. if it was your fmu, youd know.

I was thinking that myself...maybe my BOV is leaking a little, becuase my car has reacted the same under boost (as far as spool times) ever since the begginning of the intial install. It also could be the FMU, I was thinking about the check valve thats on the other end of the Begi, I believe it plugs vacuum but releases boost? would that be consider a boost leak? I could easily pick up a 1g talon bov for cheap. Its just been hard to spend anymore money on the car.....
Thursday, October 09, 2008 1:51 PM
explain your check valve im not sure what your telling me..

as for a blow off valve its most likely not a problem you very rarely if ever see boost leak from a blow off valve.

to be honest with you man. I would just break the car down clean the hell out of everything and put it back on.

let me know

Friday, October 10, 2008 12:33 PM
Jcavi wrote:as for a blow off valve its most likely not a problem you very rarely if ever see boost leak from a blow off valve.

I'm a rarity I guess! LOL!

The BOV I got in my HRC Stage 2 kit started leaking badly after about 2 years....of course the shaft on the piston was crooked for some reason and was opening up cock-eyed whenever it saw any boost LOL. Tial 50mm took care of that problem

Friday, October 10, 2008 1:25 PM
YEah I read the manual on the cartech 2025 and it states that you should not mess with the check valve on the FMU ....they say should always have it hooked up. The check valve does vent out boost to atmospheric so I dont know if that would be causing any issues. Its a pretty popular device so Im sure someone else would have brought this up also. I guess Ill just deal with the slight lag untill I do a compression check in the charge pipes.
Friday, October 10, 2008 3:25 PM
i dont think your turrbine is too big. im asuming your turbo is interanally wastegated. check the waste gate actuator. its from an old car. it could be stiff and isnt closing all the way. orr like they said boost leak.

Working on obtainting an M-Class license... ?? Hint: 2 wheels.
Tuesday, October 14, 2008 9:37 AM
yeah man if you can get your hands on one grab a smoke machine that thing found leaks in my charge system in places that I was absolutley sure were sealed. its crazy how much a small leak can affect preformance.

good luck man

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search