How will waste gate react without turbo? - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
How will waste gate react without turbo?
Friday, October 17, 2008 10:05 AM
Looking into buying new manifold, but plan to eventually git install turbo... I dont want to waste money on a regular manifold with this in mind.. My question is how will a waste gate react without turbo installed.. Is there a such thing as a cover plate for manifold if running it without a waste gate attached.. Is this a rediculous thought...

Re: How will waste gate react without turbo?
Friday, October 17, 2008 10:34 AM
so you just want to put a turbo manifold and wastegate on your car but not a turbo (yet)?

all your exhaust flows thru the turbo or wastegate. So you will either need to to run all your exhaust thru a forced open wastegate, which i cant imagine be healthy for the wastegate...

or you would need to fabricate some fancy dummy turbo type thing. somthing that will bolt between your turbo flange and your downpipe in place of the turbo, so that the exhaust has somewhere to go.

I dont know what is wrong with your current manifold, but i would suggest you just deal with what you have till you are ready for turbo, or else hurry up and get the turbo now. trying to make a turbo manifold work without a turbo is going to be ALOT of wasted fabrication. probably be cheaper and easier to buy some beat old turbo to slap on there for now.

How the wastegate will work is really the least of your concearns.

Friday, October 17, 2008 10:50 AM
Thinks u for your response to my newbie question, I will spend more time reading and trying to understand before asking anymore silly questions thnx again..

Friday, October 17, 2008 12:52 PM
just slap it on and put the wastegate block off plate on if thats what you really wanna do

Friday, October 17, 2008 2:33 PM
No need for a cover.

Wastegates open when they see boost.

If there is no boost signal, the wastegate will not open.

- 93 mph in the 1/8 mile
Member of J-Body Of Michigan.

Friday, October 17, 2008 4:37 PM
He is asking about using a turbo manifold without a turbo... unless he is planning to exhaust right into his engine bay, i dont think this is going to work... he would either need a custom downpipe from the turbo flange to the exhaust, or some sort of adapter to take the place of the turbo between the turbo flange and the downpipe. either way, not worth the effort for what he wants to do.

Friday, October 17, 2008 6:59 PM
Nortilious wrote:Looking into buying new manifold, but plan to eventually git install turbo... I dont want to waste money on a regular manifold with this in mind.. My question is how will a waste gate react without turbo installed.. Is there a such thing as a cover plate for manifold if running it without a waste gate attached.. Is this a rediculous thought...

ken soggs wrote:He is asking about using a turbo manifold without a turbo... unless he is planning to exhaust right into his engine bay, i dont think this is going to work... he would either need a custom downpipe from the turbo flange to the exhaust, or some sort of adapter to take the place of the turbo between the turbo flange and the downpipe. either way, not worth the effort for what he wants to do.

I answered exactly what he asked with facts. You just stated your opinions. I'm sure he knows he needs a downpipe to connect the exhaust to the turbo manifold which will cost him $50 at a redneck exhaust shop until he want to install the turbo.

- 93 mph in the 1/8 mile
Member of J-Body Of Michigan.

Tuesday, October 21, 2008 2:03 PM
you people need to listen to skillz. I swear we need a special badge that is stamped on the OG's sigs that let other people know that they know what there talking about.

BTW waste gates need a boost signal to open and stay slamed shut other wize what the OP is saying will work fine.

"Kick azz is my boost hero!!! "
Wednesday, October 22, 2008 7:00 AM
yes, you can run either a WG, or a block off plate to do what you want, but as stated you will need to rig up some type of downpipe to hook into your exhaust.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search