Help with head build - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Help with head build
Tuesday, December 09, 2008 6:19 PM
i already have:

w41 cams
2.3 ho valve springs
1mm oversize valves
new bronze guides

my issue is with using the 2.4 valve, the 2.3 valve spring what keeper/retainer combo is it that i have to use and is it possible to just reuse the stock parts of the spare 2.4 head that i have sitting here

i have yet to get the intake cam tower modded as well as the intake cam but im having issues finding a place that feels confident in doing the machine work and still need taetsh to get back to me so i can get the hex drive insert so i dont gotta destroy a 2.4 cam

also curious with what stand alone options are available to use that will work, not sure if hp tuners is gonna be able to do what im looking for as i wanna control fuel/spark past 7000rpm

thanks

Re: Help with head build
Tuesday, December 09, 2008 7:21 PM
You can use all 2.4 parts if you want (I did for 16.5K miles) or you can use the 2.3 retainer and the 2.4 keepers. That combo has held to 7500 RPM with .430" so far.

Wednesday, December 10, 2008 8:19 PM
Alrighty, is there a year specific for the 2.3 retainers or will any 90-94 HO work?

The keepers out of my spare head should be just fine to reuse shouldn't they?

Still curious also if anyone has found a place that can mod the intake cam/cam tower still. Wondering if jmark got his already done or if he had someone do it for him as he's one of the most recent people I've seen with doing it

Thursday, January 01, 2009 4:01 PM
bumping this up to the top.

any insight would be greatly appreciated

Saturday, January 03, 2009 8:36 PM
Hey Lafngas check out a site called AHMPerformance.com, they will be modding my cam towers and W41 intake cam as soon as I get the parts removed from the stock engine sitting in the car.
Thursday, January 15, 2009 9:34 PM
bump,

been posting in the performance forum as well on the 2.3 cam modding in a 2.4 post and still looking for this to get done, anyone have the info needed for a shop to do this?

dale, you send yours out yet?

Friday, January 16, 2009 6:05 PM
LAFNGAS wrote:Alrighty, is there a year specific for the 2.3 retainers or will any 90-94 HO work?

The keepers out of my spare head should be just fine to reuse shouldn't they?

Still curious also if anyone has found a place that can mod the intake cam/cam tower still. Wondering if jmark got his already done or if he had someone do it for him as he's one of the most recent people I've seen with doing it

still interested in the keeper/retainer situation.

is there a specifc year for the 2.3 retainers?

also does anyone know what the valve stem size/lock angle and such is so that one could call a company such as comp cams/si valves to see if they have compatible parts that could be used that could be stronger

Saturday, January 24, 2009 10:06 PM
biiiiiizump

Thursday, February 05, 2009 6:18 PM
resurrecting this.

parts wise i have :

2.3 - lifters/retainers/valve springs
2.4- valve stem seals/keepers and 1mm oversized valves

do i need to use valve rotators, and if so will they work with the 1mm oversized valves?

Friday, February 06, 2009 11:34 AM
Did you get your 41 cams from the GP on Q4F? I've been considering getting in on that but i gotta hear back from Karo about my SS 086 valves first.

Thursday, February 12, 2009 11:06 AM
yeah, got them off of Quad4forums brand new

Thursday, February 12, 2009 4:43 PM
pffft. compcams.

crane ftw!

Needing 2.3 oil pump stuff? PM me...
Friday, February 13, 2009 5:54 PM
minor.

alrighty took apart one of my 3 spare heads and the 2.4 has valve rotators on the intake side only and the exhaust just has a valve seat.

took a 2.3 valve spring and it fits over top of the 2.4 parts without a problem, i was thinking of either getting new rotators for the intake side or is it possible to just use the valve spring seats from another spare head on the intake side or could i just reuse the stock rotators?

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search