Turbo or Supercharger?? And are there complete kits? - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Turbo or Supercharger?? And are there complete kits?
Tuesday, December 16, 2008 3:14 AM
Was wondering what i should do to my 97 Z24? And also would like to know if there are any complete kits for my car which would include almost everything i need or if i would have to piece things together? Would like a simple clean install which i could do myslelf. Please help...
P.S. i am sure it says somewhere in this forum but can't find exactly the answer i am looking for.
Thanks

Re: Turbo or Supercharger?? And are there complete kits?
Tuesday, December 16, 2008 5:49 AM

2001 Olds Alero (LD9)
636 whp / 543 ft-lb
@turboalero
Tuesday, December 16, 2008 4:37 PM
lol...^^

Well I believe i have enough knowldge to answer your question, I have pieced together a complete turbo kit and a supercharger kit myself, was pretty easy to get the parts needed.

If you want to buy a complete turbo kit, buy it from Hahn Racecraft, they are really good at the turbo kits for our cars, but if you want to piece a turbo kit yourself, then:
Here is a link to the parts needed for a turbo kit: http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=40&i=56976&t=56976

I bought a used turbo and it ended up blowing seals and rings and i tried to rebuild it couple of times and it just blow again, my fault for buying a old $200 turbo.. So if you want to turbo, buy a need garret or turbonetics turbocharger and you dont have to worry about blowing the seals or rings, also, buy a Tial wastegate and a good Blow off valve, other than those 3, you can get everything else from ebay..

As for a supercharger kit, if you want to buy a complete kit, buy it from GM, but if you want to piece a kit together like what i am doing now, here is what i did:

I bought stock LSJ parts, incase you dont know what LSJ is, it is the Cobalt 2.0 SS/SC Motor, so basically what i did is buy the supercharger parts from a supercharged cobalt, you will be surprised how many cobalt SS guys are getting rid of their supercharger parts to either turbo or upgrade to stage 3 or 4, and this way is ALOT cheaper than buying a GM supercharger kit, i have spent about $600 so far and i have pretty much gotten all the parts needed to supercharger my car, now compare that to $3300 from GM!!

I'm going the supercharger way because turbo was alot of trouble, alot of maintnence, but i could have bought a new turbonetics turbo and my car would have been great, but i didn't and i sort of regret selling the entire kit, because a turbo kit is in alot of ways better than a supercharger kit.. BUT My turbo kit costed me about $3000 and my supercharger kit is probably going to be less than $1000 and thats also why im doing the supercharger kit instead of turbo..

Well hopefully this helped ya out abit

My CarDomain!!! --- http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2543660
Wednesday, December 17, 2008 12:38 PM
i'm sure there is a post already about this but i was wondering what all LSJ parts are needed to boost? Lefix if you could please let me know that would be awesome. And also where you pieced together your kit? cobaltss.net? or just on other sites?
Wednesday, December 17, 2008 2:15 PM
al roe wrote:i'm sure there is a post already about this but i was wondering what all LSJ parts are needed to boost? Lefix if you could please let me know that would be awesome. And also where you pieced together your kit? cobaltss.net? or just on other sites?

Yes i bought all my parts from a stock supercharger cobalt on cobaltss.net, there are alot other people selling supercharger parts, you could get most of the parts needed for less than $1000

Thursday, December 18, 2008 7:06 PM
Lefix wrote:
al roe wrote:i'm sure there is a post already about this but i was wondering what all LSJ parts are needed to boost? Lefix if you could please let me know that would be awesome. And also where you pieced together your kit? cobaltss.net? or just on other sites?

Yes i bought all my parts from a stock supercharger cobalt on cobaltss.net, there are alot other people selling supercharger parts, you could get most of the parts needed for less than $1000

I'm pretty sure that the Z's do not use the m62.....
If you're not looking for 300+hp then just supercharge, the kit for the z24's are hella cheap brand new.

Lols.
Thursday, December 18, 2008 11:48 PM
Yeah Z's use a MP45 Supercharger, and those you will HAVE TO buy from GM

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search