Collecting Parts! Help me with my shipping list! - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Collecting Parts! Help me with my shipping list!
Saturday, January 03, 2009 10:30 PM
First off the CURRENT mods List:
Eagle H-Beam Rods
Wisco Custom ordered 10.5:1 Compression .020 over Pistons
P&P Head
Melling Oil Pump
"Secret" Cam swap
Cleaned Up and Powdercoated/Painted almost EVERYTHING
Full Upper and Lower Gasket kits
All new Clevite 77 Bearings
Prothane Upper Insert
Lower Wishbone Replacement
Pacesetter 4-1 Ceramic Coated Header
Eliminated EGR
-WILL be running 93oct+ Fuel from now on!
-WILL be Running 5w-30 FULL Synthetic Royal Purple from now on!

Questions:
#1- First off With the Raised Compression, What sparkplugs do I need to run while N/A?
#2- I have been told I will be SAFE on the STOCK ECU, Injectors and all with this build N/A, But again AM I?
#3- Anything else with the CURRENT Build I should Know?

In the NEAR Future:
Lightweight Flywheel
Upgraded Clutch
Replacing tranny (no 4th currently)
LSD Insert for new tranny
GM S/C M45
Smaller Pully
Meth Injec
HP Tuners
Injectors/Wideband/EGT

Questions:
#4: M45 w/Smaller Pully on 10.5:1 Compression.... WHAT INJECTORS?
#5: What else will I need Not listed?
#6: I want OEM or NEAR OEM Quiet Exhaust, Recommendations on a Free Flow Setup? Pacesetter 4-1 Header already In Place and No CAT Required here! Bolt on PREFERRED, Exhaust shops here BLOW

Thanks! I'm going to be throwing my tax check at boost, so I need to gather up a specific parts list!

Re: Collecting Parts! Help me with my shipping list!
Sunday, January 04, 2009 8:11 AM
1.) ive heard of people running stock heat range NGK TR55'S and the one step colder NGK-TR6's and were fine with high compression

2.) yes, paul tjepkes ran a completely stock tune, stock FPR, stock fuel pump and ford brown tops for quite awhile, car made it to Wisconsin from iowa before the tune happened just fine. but after the tune oh my dear lord did it come to life. his engine had everything your does except for the cams, he had JBP stage 2's.

3.) make sure you read up on the oil filter check valve and the 2.3 oil pump swap, ive heard you need to completely remove it to utilize the full potential of the swap.

4.) i would venture a GUESS at 440's being enough.

5.) you wont need it but get your stock TB bored to 58mm, im pretty sure the M45's inlet is 58mm and it would match perfectly.

6.) stick with your header, get a magnaflow 2.5" or 3" high flow cat, magnaflow resonator, customtubes.com catback piping and a dynamax super turbo muffler with a nice magnaflow polished tip on the end.

further advice:

-do not buy a spec clutch, do not buy a fidanza lightweight flywheel. go with either a different brand on the clutch. up to you to decide, this area is so argued about its not funny. some have had good luck with spec, most have not. same goes for the fidanza FW. hardly any have had any luck with them, most end up sheering the center out of them. i know they are expensive, but look into an UNORTHODOX aluminum flywheel.

-for the smaller ALUMINUM s/c pulley, make damn sure you use locktite on the threads. make 100% damn sure.

-you seem like a pretty mechanical guy... install the starter (buy a 2000+ smaller one if you havent already for use with the m45) and wire in a simple starter activation switch and just turn the engine over a few revolutions to make sure you have oil pressure. the way you can test this is you will see oil coming out of the end of the intake cam tower so be careful and be there with a rag to catch it. this not only ensures the engine was put together correctly, but also PROVES your getting oil pressure so there is no question or doubt in your mind when you first fire this bad boy up in the car. it also gives it a little bit of a small break in before you have it running. and last but not least, be sure to do a compression check on all of the cylinders to prove they are all in spec and you dont have a piece of crap sitting on a valve seat holding one up (ive had this happen before and that hole was down 50psi over the other three).

Are you scared of the changes coming? The answer is on the inside.
Sunday, January 04, 2009 10:40 AM
Cool thanks for all the info, I wont be running a cat at all as its not required here(or at least no inspec)

customtubes.com doesn't exist?

I had a fidanza before in my Miata, Suck there no good for the J's, Ill look into this Unorthadox.

I didn't do the 2.3 pump Swap, so no need for the Filter valve removal.

Very next purchase will be full exhaust. Then probably HP Tuners. From there I will collect my Wideband A/F controller and other guages.

Sunday, January 04, 2009 11:01 AM
#4 Some 370cc injectors would be plenty, with that blower you're not going to be able to make enough hp to require anything bigger.

#5 If you want quiet exhaust keep it 2.5" or smaller and use 2 very big mufflers.

- 93 mph in the 1/8 mile
Member of J-Body Of Michigan.

Sunday, January 04, 2009 1:35 PM
Chazz with the Camera(SpyWiz) wrote:Cool thanks for all the info, I wont be running a cat at all as its not required here(or at least no inspec)

customtubes.com doesn't exist?

Very next purchase will be full exhaust. Then probably HP Tuners. From there I will collect my Wideband A/F controller and other guages.

Here is the right address for Custom Tubes

Jason
99 Z24 Supercharged
157hp/171tq - NA
190hp/170tq @ 6psi

LD9 for Life
Sunday, January 04, 2009 2:37 PM
^^^ AH. my bad

LOL and skilz.. you just say that because you have a set of 370's for sale i personally think with the 10.5:1's in there she's going to be very nice.

and chazz.. how come no 2.3 OPS?

Sunday, January 04, 2009 2:55 PM
z yaaaa wrote:^^^ AH. my bad

LOL and skilz.. you just say that because you have a set of 370's for sale i personally think with the 10.5:1's in there she's going to be very nice.

and chazz.. how come no 2.3 OPS?

The injectors i'm selling are only 320cc not 370cc but 320cc would also be plenty.

- 93 mph in the 1/8 mile

Sunday, January 04, 2009 4:19 PM
Witht eh GM charger and a pre 2000 ECU 320cc will not be enough with a smaller pulley on the charger. I know been there done that.Get soem 440's.

FU Tuning

Sunday, January 04, 2009 4:56 PM
Skilz10179 wrote:
z yaaaa wrote:The injectors i'm selling are only 320cc not 370cc but 320cc would also be plenty.

damn. im 0 for 2 in this thread

from what ive seen... i think 320's to be a tad small. i agree with john.

Sunday, January 04, 2009 5:16 PM
I was making 300whp on 320's, the max he'll be making with a M45 is 230whp....

- 93 mph in the 1/8 mile

Sunday, January 04, 2009 8:13 PM
I was already having MAJOR Issues with ALL of my local machine shops and BASIC work. So I did not want to even attempt the oil pump swap. Not to mention this car is still mostly a DD for me so Having the balancer wont hurt. So I need between 320cc-440cc Low Impedance injectors?

Any particular Brand suggestions?

Like I was saying however HPT will be my first purchase, After that wideband/Boost gauge/ maybe EGT, Then Collecting S/C Parts.

Whatever I do, QUALITY is the most important thing...No matter the cost, I want this car to be RELIABLE because I may end up un Ft Meade MD with the AF, and I will plan to drive back to Florence, SC to visit family. Thats a good 7 hours each way.

Im also Planning on upgrading my ishhty AIM Rear air ride to the new Easystreet stuff.

Sunday, January 04, 2009 10:45 PM
Yea, 320's would support the power youd be making but your IDC's would be very high.I was at like 124% on my 310's on 2.6 pulley and very lean, no port work or anything either. I would recommend lsj's but your pre 00. Id say try and find some sort of 370's or go with some 440s which would give you plenty of room to play with.

Monday, January 05, 2009 3:38 AM
Skilz10179 wrote:I was making 300whp on 320's, the max he'll be making with a M45 is 230whp....

What fuel pressure were you running them at?

FU Tuning

Monday, January 05, 2009 1:38 PM
8-9psi over stock.

- 93 mph in the 1/8 mile

Monday, January 05, 2009 6:59 PM
Skilz10179 wrote:8-9psi over stock.

That could be why.

FU Tuning

Tuesday, January 06, 2009 1:28 PM
John Higgins wrote:
Skilz10179 wrote:8-9psi over stock.

That could be why.

Thats not raised from an AFPR, its just rasied from boost pressure, the same as it would be on any boosted motor with a stock 1:1 FPR.

- 93 mph in the 1/8 mile

Wednesday, January 07, 2009 7:32 PM
So Injectors between 320-440cc? MMk

Well seeing how my FIRST purchase will be HPT, Wheres the BEST place for me to buy it?

Thursday, January 08, 2009 4:23 AM
Isn't 10.5:1 CR gonna be a bit much for boost?

2002 Cavalier "LS Sport"

Thursday, January 08, 2009 7:01 PM
Not low boost, See the old thread for the discussion.

Friday, January 09, 2009 3:34 PM
so where's pj when we need him to chime in on why larger than needed injectors are a good idea? lol

its better to not need them and have them than not have them and need them.

what kind of duty cycle were your's at skilz? ive seen the GMSC kit 310's suck ass on an m45 setup, i cant see how having a mere 10cc difference in the 320's would make up for the need.

Saturday, January 10, 2009 3:47 PM
Chazz with the Camera(SpyWiz) wrote:Well seeing how my FIRST purchase will be HPT, Wheres the BEST place for me to buy it?

Um, well, HPTuners.com.

I am shocked that Skilz got by with that much power using 320cc injectors...

2001 Olds Alero (LD9)
636 whp / 543 ft-lb
@turboalero

Saturday, January 10, 2009 7:42 PM
Alrighty.

Engines in AND running, See my P&m THREAD for more info

Monday, January 19, 2009 6:53 PM
I have a set of of Ford Brown tops I forgot about. Think I shoulddrop these in on my current N/A Setup? Will the work Properly on a stock ECU?

Monday, January 19, 2009 7:10 PM
Chazz with the Camera(SpyWiz) wrote:I have a set of of Ford Brown tops I forgot about. Think I shoulddrop these in on my current N/A Setup? Will the work Properly on a stock ECU?

I would not change the injectors out until you have a way to tune them.

FU Tuning

Monday, January 19, 2009 8:31 PM
Brown tops on a stock tune run like dirt. Take it from my experience. lol.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search