surging blow off valve - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
surging blow off valve
Wednesday, January 21, 2009 10:20 PM
I am getting a good deal on a real hks super sequential blow off valve, I'm talking like 65 shipped only thing is this blow off valve is said to surge, now I think the guy that is selling it was running it on his gt4 celica on 15psi of boost.
I will be running this on an ecotec cavalier running the saab setup on 7psi, would this blow off valve work for me or will it surge? I do not want it to be a waste on money when I could just save up and get a new one, but I think this is a deal to good to pass up.

I'd really really appreciate any input seeing as how my posts really don't get much if any replies on here, thanks guys!

Re: surging blow off valve
Wednesday, January 21, 2009 10:24 PM
Also it is the old style with the adjusment screw on the back in case that matters lol. Also if it will surge is there anything I can do to it to fix it? He said it should be easy to fix it but I don't think it should surge under the low boost I'm running

Thursday, January 22, 2009 5:43 AM
A BOV is actually more likely to surge at lower boost levels. I had the new style HKS SSQV and it surged but I was only boosting 5psi. It may have been a different story if I had turned up the boost but I never did so I don't know. Since the one you are looking at is the older it is adjustable so you may be able to adjust it and it work just fine for you.

FORGET GIRLS GONE WILD WE HAVE GOVERNMENT SPENDING GONE WILD!

Thursday, January 22, 2009 7:10 AM
yeah, ive heard of all kinds of surging problems with these, but the adjustable one you should be able to get it to stop. Also, placement in charge pipe is very important to this type of BOV.

Thursday, January 22, 2009 8:08 AM
Okay sounds good I think I may just go through with the purchase, john any tips on the placement? I thought any blow off valve was supposed to be placed as close to the throttle body as possible

Thursday, January 22, 2009 8:20 AM
oh boy i just got one of these and didn't know that there were problems with it.
oh well

Thursday, January 22, 2009 8:37 AM
cavipower1 wrote:Okay sounds good I think I may just go through with the purchase, john any tips on the placement? I thought any blow off valve was supposed to be placed as close to the throttle body as possible

Go to the companies website, it will tell you were to place it, and if surging exists, where to move it to try to avoid it.

Jason,
some people have problems, others dont. I just suggest reading ALL the install tips from the company when mounting the BOV.

Thursday, January 22, 2009 8:50 AM
Sounds good thanks for the help guys

Thursday, January 22, 2009 9:50 AM
This is a little off topic but you posted the wrong format of link for your sig. In these forums if you want a pic to apear in your sig or in a post it must have the img with the brackets around it.

Anyway if you want your sig to work all you need to do now is copy the following link. I have intentionally broken this link by adding a / mark in the first img bracket. Delete just the / mark in the first img bracket then paste it in your sig portion found in your control panel.

[img/]http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa95/cavipower1/sig-1.jpg

Edited 2 time(s). Last edited Thursday, January 22, 2009 9:56 AM

FORGET GIRLS GONE WILD WE HAVE GOVERNMENT SPENDING GONE WILD!

Thursday, January 22, 2009 10:31 AM
Thanks man, yea I've never gotten around to fixing it haha

Thursday, January 22, 2009 2:01 PM
dang it! sent him the money and he sent it back saying he had sold it for 100 shipped, good for him i guess. anyways ive been looking at the tial 50mm and i think im just gonna get this one instead cuz ive always wanted to try it out. question is my idle vac is between 12 and 14 at idle, ams performance sells it with the 11 psi spring and i will be ordering from them. i know the correct spring is the 9psi spring but i will be raising the boost once i get my exhaust connected and buy tbolt clamps for all the couplers. am i okay using the 11 psi spring for a couple weeks until i raise the boost or should i go ahead and order the 9psi one separate?

Friday, January 23, 2009 12:27 AM
If your worried about surge with the hks dont get a tial, they are even more picky to deal with. im using the 9psi spring which is for idle vacume from 14 to 17

Friday, January 23, 2009 12:49 AM
you mean compressor surge?

Friday, January 23, 2009 7:04 AM
If you have to recirculate, a GReddy Type-S would be the best choice IMO. That is if you can find a deal on a used REAL one instead of an Ebay clone. You can use the adjustment screw on top of it to make it very loose so that it will open correctly on a low boost application. New diaphragms can still be purchased from GReddy if the one you get is torn.

If you don't have to recirculate then a TiAl would probably be the best choice.
Friday, January 23, 2009 8:28 AM
Tourian wrote:If you have to recirculate, a GReddy Type-S would be the best choice IMO. That is if you can find a deal on a used REAL one instead of an Ebay clone. You can use the adjustment screw on top of it to make it very loose so that it will open correctly on a low boost application. New diaphragms can still be purchased from GReddy if the one you get is torn.

I like my Greddy, I got a NEW type-s But the RS will work well for you to. It is the most user freindly BOV out there IMO.

Friday, January 23, 2009 8:38 AM
John Benham wrote:
Tourian wrote:If you have to recirculate, a GReddy Type-S would be the best choice IMO. That is if you can find a deal on a used REAL one instead of an Ebay clone. You can use the adjustment screw on top of it to make it very loose so that it will open correctly on a low boost application. New diaphragms can still be purchased from GReddy if the one you get is torn.

I like my Greddy, I got a NEW type-s But the RS will work well for you to. It is the most user freindly BOV out there IMO.

Thats what I want is an rs. If someone had one I would probably trade my tial 50mm for it

Friday, January 23, 2009 10:55 AM
well i just got through reading some stuff on the tial so i dunno really wat i wanna get now haha, i think im just gonna stick with the new style hks super sequential, plus i love how they sound! and i would want the type s especially like how it sounds but i thought they were discontinued?

Friday, January 23, 2009 12:43 PM
they were, you can get them used on E-ghey, or luck out like me and find a new one in someones garage.....

they do still make parts for them if yours is busted though.

I wish they weren't pink/purple though.....looks kinda off, but I wasnt about to pay out the a$$ for one of the black "JDM" ones.

Friday, January 23, 2009 12:54 PM
i just read up on some ngr performance ones supposedly a remake of the type s with a better dingprham that doesnt leak like the original type s's were discontinued for i may just try one of those, theyre like 130 on egay

Friday, January 23, 2009 1:04 PM
DaFlyinSkwir(LS61) /PJ/ OEM+ wrote:you mean compressor surge?

Thats what I was thinking...

Friday, January 23, 2009 4:27 PM
cavipower1 wrote: and i would want the type s especially like how it sounds but i thought they were discontinued?

They are, which is why I said to search Ebay for a REAL one, used. There are lots of clones out there that seem to work okay for a little while, but I don't think they will last. Also, some people recommend buying an authentic GReddy diaphram to fit in one of the cheap Chinese clones, but I can't recommend that. I say go for a REAL GReddy Type-S.

The GReddy Type RS does not seem to be as good, and a more then a few people from the forums I frequent have had issues with them. They do not have the signature Type-S sound, if that is what you are into, either. Dejontool makes a Type S clone, but I don't know how good it is either, its more then likely yet another Chinese knockoff.

Friday, January 23, 2009 6:02 PM
I know that but the reason the real type s's were discontinued was because of the diaphram leaking after a while, the ngr is the same design but with a better diaphram, there are a bunch of videos on youtube with a lot of ppl using them with succes and a review with the real type s and the ngr one, also the owner is running it on his dsm running on like 30 psi and no leaks, whether or not it is good I will buy it and test it and if its not good I will return it,if its good then we will all have a good alternative to all the other expensive bov's out there, if not the owner said he will give me a full refund if I'm not satisfied

Friday, January 23, 2009 7:00 PM
most of the greddy failures were due to improper usage/bad set up.

Saturday, January 24, 2009 1:35 PM
not trying to sound like a dick or anything but how do u improperly use or not setup correctly a blow off valve?

Saturday, January 24, 2009 4:39 PM
Have it set too strong, bad vacume connection, bad bov placement. i blew one turbo using too strong a spring in my tial

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search