best clutch & flywheel combo for boosted 98 2.4 w/ isuzu 5 speed? - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
best clutch & flywheel combo for boosted 98 2.4 w/ isuzu 5 speed?
Thursday, May 17, 2007 10:17 AM
So here's the setup:

1998 Grand Am 2.4 ld9 Isuzu 5 speed
Tranny & clutch had been rebuilt around 35-40k (I think in 2002) and there is currently 93k on the motor now (so about 53k on the rebuild... this was an OEM rebuild)

-m45 w/ Pulley Boys 2.6" pulley
-spraying meth to cool the charger (injector is in intake piping before TB)
-RC Engineering 370cc injectors
-pace setter header (cut to fit) 2.5" all the way down and out... high flow cat, no resignator splits to dual borla turbo mufflers

Tuned with HPT and dyno'd 183whp @ 9.5 psi and I think like 179 tq
15.4 @ 90mph w/ a 2.1-2.2 60ft was the best I could put down w/ my 19" wheels @ 22psi (normally run the tires at 38psi)

My clutch is slipping hardcore. When i get on it in second, the tach screams up, the boost screams up, but the speedo takes forever and gets to about 50 then I gotta shift to 3rd. It definitely smelled like clutch each time I went down the track, so I need to replace this. I'm looking at the spec stage 2 setup and the spec flywheel to go with it. Is this a good combo or should I get a different brand clutch and / or flywheel? I am overly pissed that i've spent about 7g's on this whole boost process and I can't even break 14's when there are others that are running stock boost (4.5psi) and puttin down 14's

Also, can someone tell me how long these clutches (or the brand you recommend) are designed to last? This car is mainly a show car, but I will be driving it to and from work / around town on nice days, and I plan on going to the track once or maybe twice a month. I'm not a street racer by nature, but if some honda rev's me at a light, I can't promise that I won't get on it a bit to remind him that vtec isn't the end all on the street lol

Thanks in advance for any help

-Gus

www.alterimpact.com
www.cardomain.com/id/sweet98gagt

Re: best clutch & flywheel combo for boosted 98 2.4 w/ isuzu 5 speed?
Thursday, May 17, 2007 12:52 PM
whoa whoa whoa here.... 183whp on 9.5 psi TUNED with everything else u have? somethings wrong man.... it should be well over 200whp. u SURE ur hittin 9.5?

if thats all ur engine is putting out a stock replacement clutch will be just fine.

Thursday, May 17, 2007 1:34 PM
Yea tell me about it... It was tuned with HPT but all the specifics are on the computer at the shop I got it done at so I won't be able to tell you anything about my tune. It definitely hits 9.5psi... colder nights are more. It does about 8 until about 5600rpm then it goes up to 9+. The other problem I think i'm having is that i'm trying to push double the psi out of the smallest charger, so the air might just be heating up so much that it's not doing any good, but I'm not positive about that. Either way, I know my clutch is still slipping so I want to get that taken care of, then i'll be looking into spraying more meth or running a n2o setup as well to help bring the temps down

My only concern with a stock replacement is that i'm not sure if my current one is slipping cause it can't take it or if it is just beat up already and I just need to replace it. If it just cant take it, I don't wanna buy another stock replacement to find out that it's no good you know what I mean? I'm really thinking about doing a stage 2 (ish, depending on brand) setup

having said that, do you guys really think a lighter fly wheel will make a difference in power and / or track time, or just make the rev's quicker? Cause if it's not going to help my time or power, then i'm not spending 300+ on a flywheel... i just get another one that doesn't cost as much or even a used one and get it resurfaced

www.alterimpact.com
Thursday, May 17, 2007 2:28 PM
ACT clutch i would go with.

i have had it for years( was boosted) and no problems.

Thursday, May 17, 2007 7:50 PM
well... a buddy of mine has a pretty much stock 02 z24 with i think 60,000 miles on the stock clutch, his car has the gmsc kit (m45) with the stock 2.8" pulley, it dynod at 214whp with a stock exhaust, only major mod was an hptuned computer. his clutch has held pretty well actually.

i also remember WAY back in the day brian (speed racer Z) was pushing 15psi turboed on a stock clutch running high 12's and it held for a very long time.

i honestly think that a stock clutch replacment should be sufficent for your 183whp, but a stage 2 of some sort couldnt hurt. i used a centerforce dual friction clutch on my 151whp 97 cav and absolutly LOVED it.

Friday, May 18, 2007 2:39 PM
SPEC stage 2+ or stage 3+ they are an awesome clutch and last a VERY long time on your setup. Easy clutch petal feel, easy to drive on the street. Also when you replace the clutch get a Fidanza flywheel to add a bit extra power, and allow the engine to rev faster

-Aaron
www.TurboTechRacing.com

Performance Parts For Cavalier, Sunfire, Cobalts and More!!!
Saturday, May 19, 2007 12:44 PM
Aaron could you explain how a flywheel will create more power for me? I'm not asking in a mocking tone, I don't know anything about this stuff as it's all new to me. From what i've heard from various people so far, it's lighter so it spins faster which equals faster revs... What I don't get is how it makes more power

either way, you guys will be gettin a call from me next week

www.alterimpact.com
Saturday, May 19, 2007 11:21 PM
Gus wrote:Aaron could you explain how a flywheel will create more power for me? I'm not asking in a mocking tone, I don't know anything about this stuff as it's all new to me. From what i've heard from various people so far, it's lighter so it spins faster which equals faster revs... What I don't get is how it makes more power

either way, you guys will be gettin a call from me next week

Less rotating mass on the engine = less energy required to spin the flywheel. Any time you remove rotating mass you free up power in the engine.

The reason the car spins up faster is because it requires less intertia to get the rotating assembly going... the same goes with smaller lightweight rims. Anything you can do to shave weight off what rotates the more you'll help the car out.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Sunday, May 20, 2007 8:58 PM
^^ Correct thanks for responding

-Aaron
www.TurboTechRacing.com

Monday, May 21, 2007 4:42 PM
I'm looking at replacing the stock clutch in my '99 Z24 and I was wondering why many people use the Fidanza flywheel with the Spec clutch. my plan has been to get a Spec stage 2 with the Spec lightweight flywheel because Gravana has a deal when you get the clutch kit they sell the flywheel for $79- Spec only. I just wanted to see if anybody has had a bad experience with the spec/spec combo or if the fidanza flywheel is just that much better. my car is pretty much stock right now (just an AEM wai), but I have plans.
Tuesday, May 22, 2007 6:03 AM
Can you show me the link to what you are talking about? I'm on gravana's site right now, and they are not offering a flywheel for 79 bucks, they are offering the light weight clutch kit for $79 more. The average aftermarket flywheel is well over 300, but maybe i'm reading the wrong thing?

www.alterimpact.com

Wednesday, May 23, 2007 5:33 AM
toyotaz87 wrote:I'm looking at replacing the stock clutch in my '99 Z24 and I was wondering why many people use the Fidanza flywheel with the Spec clutch. my plan has been to get a Spec stage 2 with the Spec lightweight flywheel because Gravana has a deal when you get the clutch kit they sell the flywheel for $79- Spec only. I just wanted to see if anybody has had a bad experience with the spec/spec combo or if the fidanza flywheel is just that much better. my car is pretty much stock right now (just an AEM wai), but I have plans.

SPEC = Fidanza, same thing just the Fidanza are cheaper

And the $79.00 is the light wieght clutch option not a flywheel...

-Aaron
www.TurboTechRacing.com

Wednesday, May 23, 2007 11:47 AM
Aaron-

Just wanted to let you know that the 1996-1998 pontiac grand am (5 speed at least) w/ the 2.4 ld9 motor uses the same transmission as the cavis (the isuzu one) so you should be able to list the spec clutches available for 96-98 models under the grand am section... Currently your site only offers 92-94 2.3 motor clutches. I'll still be ordering, just from the "cavi" section

www.alterimpact.com
Friday, May 25, 2007 5:33 PM
oh... my mistake. Umm... what's a lightwieght clutch? like, what makes it lighter? I havn't heard of this before.
Tuesday, June 05, 2007 8:50 PM
^^^ does anybody know? ^^^ Is it worth the money?
Tuesday, June 05, 2007 11:35 PM
if your boosting you might think about a centerforce dual friction thats what I have
as for light weight flywheels If thats what your referring to go for it it would be a waste on a non boosted vehicle.
all it does is make you rev faster which is good for boost.

I just cant drive 55
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search