Bad syncros - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Bad syncros
Thursday, May 17, 2007 11:10 AM
I had my 5-speed rebuilt when we put the new motor in, and the syncros in 2nd and 3rd are grinding again. Eventually when I have the money, I wan't to remedy this, and was wondering if anyone makes any aftermarket syncros or gears because I don't trust stock GM anymore. I really wan't to put dog gears in it, but I highly doubt there available, buy the way its a 1997 tranny hooked to a LD9, i'm pretty sure it's IZUZU. When the tranny's out I'm planning on stuffing anything I can in there like a LSD stage 3 clutch, and lightweight flywheel, so it will be a while before I can afford it, so at least I have time to look.

Re: Bad syncros
Thursday, May 17, 2007 3:02 PM
check your shift cables. that could be causing problems. as for strengthing their are older IZUZU tranys that are stronger and better geared. i belive they where in the berretta 2.3lho models. their is a lot of info on the izuzu tranny just search.

Thursday, May 17, 2007 3:53 PM
I already checked my shift cables and there doesn't appear do be anything wrong, my 2nd gen had an izuzu tranny in it, and the syncros where bulletproof, I don't know why the 3rd gens tranny sucks so much.

Thursday, May 17, 2007 4:59 PM
modifie it for a getrag and end the problems.

Friday, May 18, 2007 9:01 AM
I've heard a bit about that, are the Getrag trannys really that much better becuase I thought about that if the getrags are actuually really good trannys. Apparently all I'de Ive to do is use the bell housing thats on the car now, and it should bolt right up, anyone know if thats true? I was also wondering how hard it is to pull the tranny on the car (in the driveway style), and out much one will cost.

Friday, May 18, 2007 9:55 AM
Weebel wrote:I've heard a bit about that, are the Getrag trannys really that much better becuase I thought about that if the getrags are actuually really good trannys. Apparently all I'de Ive to do is use the bell housing thats on the car now, and it should bolt right up, anyone know if thats true? I was also wondering how hard it is to pull the tranny on the car (in the driveway style), and out much one will cost.

I had a 97 Z24 wit the isuzu tranny. I know have a 01 Z24 with the getrag. I love the getrag over the isuzu. As for swapping one in, you can't use a isuzu bellhousing on a getrag tranny. Get a getrag for a 2.4 and axles and shifter cables, and shift assembly, and getrag clutch flywheel, and TOB and clutch master cylinder and you are good.

FU Tuning

Friday, May 18, 2007 10:59 AM
That does seem the best way, but it's also the hardest and most expensive. I could probably have a set of dog gears made up for the izuzu for less $$$, and that's what I really wan't, thanks for the knowledge though.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search