TV Cable - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
TV Cable
Friday, June 26, 2009 9:07 PM
A while back, I saw a video on youtube detailing how to adjust the TV (Throttle Valve) cable on the transmission of the Cavalier. I have done a little reading, and the only thing I can really find is that it can improve acceleration performance if done right, and if done improperly it can cause transmission damage due to improper oil pressure, and messed up gear changes. Ok. What exactly (simply) does the TV cable do? This is what I gather it does....

1.Measures throttle plate position, and sends that information to the transmission
2. Based on internal hydraulic pressure, engine RPM, and Throttle position, determines when to shift.
3. Somehow controls transmission fluid pressure and flow inside the tranny

Do I have this right? Regardless if I do or not, is it really worth it to adjust the TV cable on a 1997 Chevy Cavalier Base 2.2L? I am thinking that Engine restore stuff is the only thing I will do it for a time. (this stuff is show to actually work. I have read the consumer and professional reviews, it seems to be the real deal). But this seems like an easy way to get better acceleration. (simply because merging on the highway in this car is, well, scary. Thanks in advance for any help!

-Nick

Re: TV Cable
Friday, June 26, 2009 9:44 PM
TV cable adjustment does determine shift points, and for proper adjustment you need to press in the release tab and pull the outer cable jacketing out away from the throttle body. Then turn the throttle body linkage wheel all the way to it's WOT stop. Don't do this with the accelerator pedal because the TV cable needs to be adjusted to the butterfly, and any stretch in the accelerator cable will throw the TV cable adjustment off. Now if the TV cable had more preload on it then it should hold in gear longer, but I've driven a couple cars with improper TV cable adjustments and they had rough upshifts/downshifts. By any chance would this be the three speed automatic? I've driven the three speed, four speed, and five speed manual OHV Cavaliers and the three speed is noticeably more sluggish compared to the others.

Re: TV Cable
Saturday, June 27, 2009 1:51 PM
Ahh that makes sense. I will probably do that. And indeed it is the 3-speed.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search