fg door panel project pics - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
fg door panel project pics
Friday, March 17, 2006 5:08 PM
Getting my door panels ready to glass over. Here are some pics of what I got accomplished this St Patty's day!

Thats me!

My dad, on his way to a good st pattys day

And that's my wife... with her green on.

I'll post some more pics as I progress, I am going to bondo over the cracks and get ready to wrap it all over the weekend and hopefully have something fresh for ya by monday.

Re: fg door panel project pics
Friday, March 17, 2006 5:34 PM
looks like a good start to me. what kind of speakers are you putting in there?

Friday, March 17, 2006 6:04 PM
If your talking about just bondoing over the cracks to make the door seem like one piece...DONT DO IT...its going to crack over time. Glass it with matting or cloth. Thats the only way its going to hold up over time. Good luck though.

Friday, March 17, 2006 6:27 PM
no no no, I am filling it with bondo so the seem won't be there once I wrap the entire panel. I am going to test wrap it with my cloth and see if I really even need to fill them first though, the seem might not show up through it.

Friday, March 17, 2006 6:33 PM
Oh yeah and I am putting mb quart components in it. I have always liked the sound of them. I was thinking either that or polk momo's, I wish I could afford something better, I might save up and get a CDT component set. Right now the rings are a standard 6.5" cutout, they fit the mbquart discus coaxes and I can get them for about 65 bucks a pair so that will hold me over until I can afford something better... and sorry about the double post, another vote for an edit button up in here.

Friday, March 17, 2006 7:11 PM
Skyler Prahl wrote:no no no, I am filling it with bondo so the seem won't be there once I wrap the entire panel. I am going to test wrap it with my cloth and see if I really even need to fill them first though, the seem might not show up through it.

again, if you're talking about just adding filler, it will crack out, and not eventually, most likely real quick. you better fiberglass the seams if you want it done right

Friday, March 17, 2006 7:41 PM
I've been trying to explain this to my wife too and its kinda hard for me to explain what I am getting ready to do, but I won't have any problems with the filler coming out, just want for my pics after this weekend, I think I might do some more work on them tonight. If so I will get pics on here afterwards. Pretty much...

I wont be using these door panels at all, I am going to be making an all fiberglass door panel, just using these as a mold. I am getting ready to take the window lips off of them and wrapping them in a stretchy fabric I got on clearance at wallyworld. I will make sure to take pictures of the steps I go through to do allla this. Pretty much I am just going to fill the cracks in with bondo, or maybe even just taping over them with masking tape until I rip the new fiberglass door off.

R.I.P. Kasey N. Burleson

Friday, March 17, 2006 8:42 PM
in case you were wondering, that was me logged in as my wife... my bad, damn look at her sig though, tara tara tara

Friday, March 17, 2006 9:55 PM
Yeah, that ish was confusing right there.

Saturday, March 18, 2006 3:20 PM
Here's some updated pics, didn't really make much progress. Wrapping the damn thing took 1 1/2 hours for me to get it exactly how I wanted it. And my fingers have blisters on them from the hot glue... I should have used gloves. Clickem to see them bigger

Saturday, March 18, 2006 6:00 PM
Is that F/g cloth or just fleece?

Saturday, March 18, 2006 6:30 PM
It is just stretchy fabric I found on clearance at walmart, I will be putting woven fiberglass mat on top of that though. But it is pretty cold outside so it is taking a while to harden. I am probably going to have to do it tomorrow... maybe even break out the hair dryer.

R.I.P. Kasey N. Burleson

Saturday, March 18, 2006 6:38 PM
ive got an mb quart premium 3-way componet set for sale. and im just a few miles away

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Saturday, March 18, 2006 6:48 PM
Yeah but if I got the 3 ways I would have to make my doors different and I am too far along now heh. And sorry again about the post in my wife's name... i'm a big dumb animal

Sunday, March 19, 2006 3:16 PM
Updated pics. I just got the first layer of mat on this biatch

Monday, March 20, 2006 8:33 AM
looking good but you say your using mat but in your pics you used FG cloth there is a big diff but i dont mind. it looks like youve got some pretty big air bubbles also you might want to fix that it will come back to get you trust me! and you said your just doing this as a mold? why? why not just use the panels you have?

Monday, March 20, 2006 8:38 AM
^^^i agree. those door panels your using as the mold are useless after this. you prolly wont be able to even get them out

Monday, March 20, 2006 3:29 PM
Yeah I stand corrected on the whole mat/cloth thing and I am not going to use them as a mold anymore. I change my mind a lot and couldn't change the post so sorry about that. I used There are no actual air bubbles in the glass itself, there are just variations on which parts of the original stretchy cloth that is touching the door, which makes it look like huge bubbles. If I notice any bubbles I always open them up after they are dry and fill them with resin. I am going to put on 2 more layers of fiberglass cloth and call it stiff enough. Then I am going to mix up a 1:2 bondo to resin mixture and smooth it out real good. I won't be able to continue until probably friday though because it is too damn cold out now. But on a good note, I did a test fit after I trimmed off all the extra cloth today and it fits good and I like the angle of the speaker. I am gettin really excited at this point.

Monday, March 20, 2006 5:17 PM
Looks good. This will be one of my next projects. Keep the pics/updates commin.

Wide Body Progress

Tuesday, March 21, 2006 9:25 AM
OK cool i just wanted to make sure. and i hope you know i wasnt trying to be an ass i just wanted to make sure on some things. good luck with all your work.

Tuesday, March 21, 2006 10:12 AM
the easy part is done, now the hell of sanding and sanding and sanding, lol. keep us updated

Tuesday, March 21, 2006 1:04 PM
actully eazy it's HELL!

Tuesday, March 21, 2006 3:02 PM
sanding is fun i just hire those " will work for food" guys and dangle a cheeseburger in front of their faces.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Tuesday, March 21, 2006 3:35 PM
@!#$ you saw my picture, hang a double cheesburger in front of me and I'd have enough motivation to sand it down with 2000 grit in 30 minutes!

Tuesday, March 21, 2006 3:53 PM
What did you do about the black liner on the top of the panel, the black trim that goes against the window with the one fuzzy side... i dont know how else to explain it. I tweeded my door panels in my fire and it looks pretty good, but i want to glass them next and was wondering what to do with that part of the panel, looking at the backside of the panel the trim is stapled onto the plastic... any ideas?

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search