Synthetic oil; Does it make a differance? - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Synthetic oil; Does it make a differance?
Tuesday, February 23, 2010 5:33 PM
I was just wondering the advantages of using synthetic oil over conventional. Also is it true that you can't switch back? Tell me what you guys think, I usually spend another 10 bucks on engine restore extra each oil change anyways, so am I better off using synthetic anyways. What do you think of Castrol?

Re: Synthetic oil; Does it make a differance?
Tuesday, February 23, 2010 5:42 PM
just use synthetic. I only use mobil 1. But every oil company is going to say theirs is better than the competition. once you go synthetic you can change back if you want. or you can change to it whenever you want. not being able to switch is a myth.

Tuesday, February 23, 2010 5:53 PM
Right on man, but did you notice any differance?
Tuesday, February 23, 2010 6:27 PM
you know you can buy synthetic blend.... its a mixture of synthetic and conventional... so the next time someone tells you you can't switch back, ask them how synthetic blend works...

Heres some truths about synthetic oils

There are only three true synthetics on the market
Mobil 1
Amsoil
Royal Purple

don't beleive me... compare any other "synthetic" on a hot plate with mobil 1... and see which one catches on fire first.... mobil 1 has a flash point of over 400 degrees Fahrenheit

also the other brands still base their oil off of oil stock.

---

Synthetic oil is thinner than conventional and will find any leak you may have in the motor.

---

Synthetic oil mixed with degreaser will turn purple... some engine rebuilders tell you not to use synthetic, and that is a way they check if you try to cash in on warranty.

---

unless the motor is designed for synthetic, do not use it on an initial break in... run 500 miles on conventional and then switch

--

Synthetic oil should not be used in a rotary engine

---

You will not see any performance by using synthetic, you will however notice a cleaner engine if you ever tear it down.

---

Synthetic oil lasts longer by means of resisting water build up (oil is hygroscopic) and takes longer to break down... however you need to pair it with a higher quality oil filter to push it past 5000 miles.

Tuesday, February 23, 2010 6:38 PM
Only Mobil1 here.

And this is coming from an ex-manager of 3 pennzoil locations.

Tuesday, February 23, 2010 6:46 PM
I like pennzoil synthetic. My engine has 210k now mostly boosted, pennzoil synthetic I'd say for 80% of it's life (I'm 2nd owner) and my engine has never even gave me a hiccup. What's your reason Mike? I'd switch up brands if you can convince me.
Tuesday, February 23, 2010 6:57 PM
When GM\FORD\MOPAR, or any of the other bit car manufaturs.. BMW.. benz....
have oil fill caps that say "PENZ OIL FACTORY FILL",,,,,,,,,

but untill then.. I contest that the only reasion my stock LD9 lasted how it did was this

That makes it good enough for me

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged
13.7 @102.45 MPH Third Place, 2007 GMSC Bash SOLD AS OF 01MAR08

Tuesday, February 23, 2010 7:10 PM
Shane Reid wrote:I like pennzoil synthetic. My engine has 210k now mostly boosted, pennzoil synthetic I'd say for 80% of it's life (I'm 2nd owner) and my engine has never even gave me a hiccup. What's your reason Mike? I'd switch up brands if you can convince me.

Nothing wrong with pennzoil synthetic. It's just not Mobil1. I'm with Chris on this.

Where's bob the oil guy or whatever when you need him haha

Found it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Tuesday, February 23, 2010 7:23 PM

Tuesday, February 23, 2010 7:25 PM
put your pennz synthetic on an hot plate side by side with mobil one... when the pennz catches fire and the mobil is just chillin, you'll never run it in your motor again...

hey do you have part nums for the mobil one accessories?

Tuesday, February 23, 2010 7:28 PM
What ones do ya want,
I can dig them up at work.

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged

Tuesday, February 23, 2010 7:29 PM
Lol, On page 9 of the thread I posted

Quote:

Mobil 1 stole my wife, killed my dog, and slashed my tires.

Word is that they also hate puppies.

Some people........lol

/offtopic

Tuesday, February 23, 2010 9:31 PM
I posted a video on my website under the performance packages, at the bottom of the page.
This guy with a speed shop did a test on a few diffrent syn. oils.
He used a EVO and his dyno to show the amount of power he made from switching the diffrent oil brands.
He posted the averages, and the total costs of oil to compare and its a really good video to show just how good each one is
check it out
The video named oil shoot out

http//www.umods.org/drift.html
umods@live.com/ddiaz@umods.org

Tuesday, February 23, 2010 9:42 PM
GME Chat User: Speedline02 wrote:hey do you have part nums for the mobil one accessories?

I looked those up earlier haha. That's badass. The stuff I saw was from a corvette.

I did see this, this and here is one of the labels.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Tuesday, February 23, 2010 9:49 PM

Tuesday, February 23, 2010 9:56 PM
David Diaz wrote:I posted a video on my website under the performance packages, at the bottom of the page.
This guy with a speed shop did a test on a few diffrent syn. oils.
He used a EVO and his dyno to show the amount of power he made from switching the diffrent oil brands.
He posted the averages, and the total costs of oil to compare and its a really good video to show just how good each one is
check it out
The video named oil shoot out

royal purple cokes on turbo housings and burns them up. plus you have to look at if its freeing up horsepower while losing lubrication. id say for the amount of gain, im never going to change

Tuesday, February 23, 2010 10:06 PM
Coking on turbocharger is due to high heated oil sitting on a hotter turbo, a timer takes care of that.
But the oil you use is what you like the best just as long as you get it changed you can't go wrong!

I like moble1 too, over most its easier to get my hands on then the high dollar ones.

http//www.umods.org/drift.html
umods@live.com/ddiaz@umods.org

Tuesday, February 23, 2010 10:20 PM
David Diaz wrote:Coking on turbocharger is due to high heated oil sitting on a hotter turbo, a timer takes care of that.
But the oil you use is what you like the best just as long as you get it changed you can't go wrong!

I like moble1 too, over most its easier to get my hands on then the high dollar ones.

why did royal purple coke on my turbo and not mobil 1 when they were both ran at the same time on a turbo timer? if you read around on a lot of other forums as well you will see the bad stories of royal purple on any application that has higher heat.

Wednesday, February 24, 2010 8:18 AM
The new 100k+ Corvette ZR1 only takes Mobil 1 other wise you void your warranty.

Wednesday, February 24, 2010 9:05 AM
i used royal purple synthetic lube in my izuzu 5spd trans for my 97z24 once, the gears howled very badly and it would barely go into reverse. swapped back to good ole syncromesh and it was smooth sailing.

needless to say i'll never use royal purple again.

id love to try out mobil 1 but most of my engines have over 100k, id rather not switch oils with that high of mileage, regardless if its "ok" or not. so ill wait to use it until i get a brand new engine built. but... i fully intend to, always wanted to give it a shot.

Wednesday, February 24, 2010 12:26 PM
The RP Dex III is used to resolve gear howl in the Getrag F23, not the Isuzu 5 speed as the Isuzu doesn't suffer from the same problems.
Wednesday, February 24, 2010 4:58 PM
there are other name brand syn oil that should 've been tested ,redline and amsoil.if you turbo the oil change interval should be cut in half so 7500 for mobil 1 extended[15000 mi] and amsoil 12500 for their 25000 mi oil.if you want an improvement in performance like mpg you'll have to do motor and driveline together to get 2-5%increase in mpg.less drag,runs cooler,non oil based,easy cold starts,and saves money on oil changes if n/a. saves on destruction if turboed.they say don't use syn oil unless your in it for the long haul.i run eaton 80-90 syn gear oil in my semi[differential] ,trans is same but 50w instead. interval is 250000 mi between oil change.
Wednesday, February 24, 2010 5:17 PM
I use quaker state synthetic and lucas additive works great no complaints

Wednesday, February 24, 2010 5:45 PM
Castrol Syn from the very first oil change. If I bought a Vette it would be the same.

FU Tuning

Wednesday, February 24, 2010 7:24 PM
i run GM Syncromesh in my F23 Getrag

Wednesday, February 24, 2010 7:29 PM
syntec is the only other "synthetic" out there that is not a old Mobil One patent . Good oil.

Brad....... There is a certain 2.3 that has Mobil-1 in it..... I would strongly recommend sticking with it.

Just ask the kid that bought my 02 off of me... he did not listen to me when I said

Quote:

I contest that the only reason my stock LD9 lasted how it did was this

Did not listen to me... #3 rod though the block.

The oil in question that he did not head the warning was this

Out pours 5W30 conventional at 25 below zero.
Love the stuff.

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged

Wednesday, February 24, 2010 7:35 PM
i still want the mobil 1 cap and stickers

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search