TwinCharging an Oldsmobile Alero - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
TwinCharging an Oldsmobile Alero
Thursday, November 20, 2008 6:19 PM
HI everyone!
My name is Nick and I am the proud owner of a 2000 Olds Alero 2.4. I will be undergoing a twincharging project come the summer(should all of my money be there of course). I intend to build the engine for boost, run a GT35R turbocharger and the Eaton M45 Supercharger kit. I have encountered a large issue in the planning stages of the set-up and was hoping that some input could be provided.
My main question concerns boost level. For example, the supercharger is running a 2.7'' pulley(Pure Example), does this have any impact on how much boost the turbo will contribute to the set-up? Or is the boost that I'm setting the turbo for set by the external wastegate on the turbo manifold and completely controllable?
Bear with me here, I don't know how much of the following is true. Does the supercharger compressing air before it goes into the turbo dictate how much boost the turbo at, regardless of what I want it at, or is it still controlled by the external wastegate on the turbo manifold?

I know I'm a n00b to this website but I've been on Aleromod for a while and was recommended to this site by several members. Thank you for reading my essay lol, hope to see some replies soon

Re: TwinCharging an Oldsmobile Alero
Thursday, November 20, 2008 6:35 PM
i suggest ditching the mp45 if your going to run a larger turbo as that 35r..

downsize yourself to a 50 OR 57trim, its not too small and its not too big for your demands.
just my .02

Built&Boosted moar
04 Cavalier Turbo r.i.p my baby
2nd place 2009 GM tuner bash qwick 8--holla

Thursday, November 20, 2008 6:36 PM
Well for starters the boost goes through the turbo before it goes into the supercharger, not the other way around.

2 people on this forum have completed this setup, they would be able to help you best.

Good luck.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Thursday, November 20, 2008 6:47 PM
I was just reading another thread about the M62 s/c mani for the 2.4 being built....this had me thinking a while back but that was when there was no manifold in production. My idea was to have a Y style pipe linking the turbo and s/c to a single large FMI and have a wastegate right before the intercooler, leading to TRUE dual boost control.
This concept is sound as far as I've seen, but as for the M45 I don't understand how the compression of the air by the turbo then into the s/c affects the total boost of the system...I'll wait for the 2 twincharge guys to chime in....hopefully soon....
Thursday, November 20, 2008 6:57 PM
if it was up to me i would do one or the other. i had a gm s/c'd 2.4l with everything you could bolt on and meth injection. Fun car.

Not to talk down to you, you are just doing your homework, but i think twincharging is going to be basically more then you can handle. Boost is hard enough on a non boosted from the factory car, now do it twice. Start off simple , and work your way up.

It just hasnt proven itself(to me) to be worthwhile to do both s/c and turbo at the same time.

If i were you, i would just run the gm s/c. Is the Gm kit reflash compatable with the alero? I am not real familer with what works on the alero with computer stuff.

For hassle free, reliable boost , the GM s/c is what i would go with. Get the s/c, and bigger throttle body, full exhuast, motor mounts, Meth injection, smaller pulley and i am pretty sure HP tuners works with your car(could be wrong). And tweak that set up for all it is worth.

Good luck non the less.

Thursday, November 20, 2008 7:05 PM
Jake wrote:if it was up to me i would do one or the other. i had a gm s/c'd 2.4l with everything you could bolt on and meth injection. Fun car.

Not to talk down to you, you are just doing your homework, but i think twincharging is going to be basically more then you can handle. Boost is hard enough on a non boosted from the factory car, now do it twice. Start off simple , and work your way up.

It just hasnt proven itself(to me) to be worthwhile to do both s/c and turbo at the same time.

If i were you, i would just run the gm s/c. Is the Gm kit reflash compatable with the alero? I am not real familer with what works on the alero with computer stuff.

For hassle free, reliable boost , the GM s/c is what i would go with. Get the s/c, and bigger throttle body, full exhuast, motor mounts, Meth injection, smaller pulley and i am pretty sure HP tuners works with your car(could be wrong). And tweak that set up for all it is worth.

Good luck non the less.

+1 good advice

Built&Boosted moar
04 Cavalier Turbo r.i.p my baby
2nd place 2009 GM tuner bash qwick 8--holla

Thursday, November 20, 2008 7:14 PM
yea -ion [C2] who posts on here as well has his up to almost 10PSI reliably, with all the bolt on fun stuff, big injectors, 62mm tb, 2.5'' exhaust, etc
HP Tuners Is compatible with my car, as well as the GM S/C
i know i could easily make 10PSI on that s/c, but I want something thats gonna suprise people a bit and be a bit more fun for me to do...
the only problem with the re-flash is that i have been asking GM dealers about it and I just get looked at like im on crack. I haven't been able to find a place that knows what I'm talking about that is close enough to me...
now with the re-flash, I HAVE an HP Tuner program, could I "re-flash" it myself? I know it will be a bigger pain in the ass but oh well, if i can avoid the $100 and do it myself I will...
Thursday, November 20, 2008 7:52 PM
The M45 cars are slow, will never break in to the 13's

Best of luck!

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged
13.7 @102.45 MPH Third Place, 2007 GMSC Bash SOLD AS OF 01MAR08

Friday, November 21, 2008 3:50 AM
If you have HP Tuners you can load the GM reflash to your car (if you have a copy). It is going to cost you 2 set's of credits. 1 set to credit your you car/ECU, another set to credit the GM reflash file so you can load it to your car. So if you do not have extra credits then it will cost you $200 in credits. Now if you have HPT and have used it on your car already then your ECU is credited, so then you only have to spend 1 set of credits to do the reflash. HOpe I did not confuse you.

FU Tuning

Friday, November 21, 2008 9:51 AM
Nick LaManna wrote:i know i could easily make 10PSI on that s/c, but I want something thats gonna suprise people a bit and be a bit more fun for me to do...

Power is more than resistance to flow, like I always tell ya. lol
Nick LaManna wrote:the only problem with the re-flash is that i have been asking GM dealers about it and I just get looked at like im on crack. I haven't been able to find a place that knows what I'm talking about that is close enough to me...

None of them know, they just call a tech support number and they tell them wtf to do.
Nick LaManna wrote:now with the re-flash, I HAVE an HP Tuner program, could I "re-flash" it myself? I know it will be a bigger pain in the ass but oh well, if i can avoid the $100 and do it myself I will...

Of course you can. I can just send you the .hpt file for the stock supercharged tune and you just flash it. No biggie. But HPTuners costs $500, however I believe it's a totally worthy investment. I love it.

2001 Olds Alero (LD9)
636 whp / 543 ft-lb
@turboalero
Friday, November 21, 2008 9:56 AM
PS I think the Y-pipe twincharge idea is pretty cool, as long as all of it fits. You'd have two air intakes though, or you could Y-pipe those too and just have a massive intake pipe before the Y that splits it up to the turbo and supercharger inlets.

With that method of twincharging, the two compressors are separate, so the turbo doesn't feed into the supercharger inlet whatsoever, they both push into one FMIC and intake manifold. I'm not sure how to calculate total boost or flow based on that. It would be a pretty killer setup if done properly.

2001 Olds Alero (LD9)
636 whp / 543 ft-lb
@turboalero

Friday, November 21, 2008 4:59 PM
Yea, the Y-Pipe idea would fit....barely
Total boost for that kind of setup is just add the the boost from each one I think....
Its the M45 and T/C boost that idk how to calculate....but I'm doing the turbo first and waiting until I can buy the mani to bolt up the M62 S/C, then Y-pipe it.
Until then....I can survive off just a turbo....
Twincharged Peoples, CHIME IN!!!!
lol
Sunday, November 23, 2008 6:27 PM
Bump...help?!?!
Monday, November 24, 2008 2:20 PM
Anyone?!!?

Monday, November 24, 2008 2:24 PM
Y-pipe wouldnt work, the supercharger would force the air out of the turbo inlet side until the turbo spools, it would be run where boosted air from the turbo would push into the intake of the supercharger.
Monday, November 24, 2008 3:40 PM
^ That is correct, you would back-pressure the turbo, its a simple law of physics, if you push pressure down one side of the pipe, it will pressure everything that the pipe is connected to, including back up into the turbo and out the intake. You wouldn't be able to build any boost until after the turbo spools. What's even worse is that the air from the s/c would probably spin the turbo backwards.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Thursday, November 27, 2008 1:38 PM
Quote:

I know I'm a n00b to this website but I've been on Aleromod for a while

I'm guessing you have learned nothing prior to coming here.

DiamlerChrysler Certified Technician
ASE Certified Technician
Option D Racing Member
Thursday, November 27, 2008 6:03 PM
Don't be a dick.

He's going single turbo now, twincharging is somewhat of a waste of money...

2001 Olds Alero (LD9)
636 whp / 543 ft-lb
@turboalero
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search