alright its turbo time - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
alright its turbo time
Monday, November 24, 2008 11:54 AM
ok so as some of you know ive been planing on doing a turbo set up on my 2200 as of now i know i want to use a gt28 turbo and thats about it. i am doin a lil research seeing as the build will start in early 10'. i would like to know what all i need to build it up. i did a few searches and i plan on running 5lbs at first on bone stock motor and then when i get it built i want to run 16 lbs. things i know im getting are: turbo timer, boost controller, air fuel controller, HPT, wide band o2, and a higher output fuel pump at first and then getting weisco pistons with eagle rods and p&p the head. was wondering what else i need to finish it up. i need to know what kinda exhaust i need, what manifold is best, injectors, spark plugs, fmic, etc...... any help would be much appreciated i would like to start picking up parts soon and hopefully starting before the year is out but shooting for early 10' so that when the spring comes i will have all set up and ready to be my DD.
P.S. i know an eco would be better yes yes but i plan on getting a z24 in the spring and im gonna s/c that one and have this one turboed.

Thanks everyone for your input
Scott

Re: alright its turbo time
Wednesday, November 26, 2008 7:56 PM
Wow dude. Learn to use paragraphs.

Next off lets deal with one thing at a time here. Lets talk about your turbo install now and your build when you are actually ready to start it.

I am really not a 2.2 guy so I do not know what brands of turbo manifold are out there and are considered good. Not sure on the plugs you would need. You could get by on a mild boost turbo setup with stock spark plugs but one step colder would most likely be ideal for a moderatly bosted engine. I am not sure what part number those plugs would be for the 2.2.

As for the injectors you should use well that depends on if you are using HPT to control them or an FMU. When you mention air fuel controller are you refering to something like an SAFC. It has been said on here many times that those do not work on our cars.

If you plan on getting a a z24 in the spring. I would highly reccomend you buy a 2000 or newer z24 due to the ability to run and tune the GM reflash as well as being able to bolt right up the GM supercharger kit and having a better manual transaxle.

Just my thought here. Warning I am going to be blunt so try not to get upset here. If you really want to boost your new z24 don't go turboing this. Acording to your profile it would appear you are going to school to become an auto mechanic. So from the sounds of it you really don't have that much money to be throwing around. Turboing this car is most likely going to cost way way more than you ever planned. If I were in your shoes I would just save up every bit of money you can and put it towards supercharging the z24 you plan to get in the spring.

In the meantime please loose the lambo doors and what ever that fugly front bumper you have on your car is. It is cars like yours that give us a bad name.

FORGET GIRLS GONE WILD WE HAVE GOVERNMENT SPENDING GONE WILD!

Wednesday, November 26, 2008 9:17 PM
haha ya well its the trd kit and right now its off for the winter cause im gonna fix it up and get the supra lights and z24 fogs and i like the lambos haha. but ya i do go to college and i have 2 jobs both of which are giving me more hours so come next spring ill have this cav boosted another cav hopefully a 01 boosted 2.4 if the guy ever gets back to me and ill have a good parts car to scavenge stuff from. i was talking about the SAFC. i plan on getting the hanh stage 2 kit for the 2200 so that should give me a nice gain without sacrificing the reliability to much. and as for my car being one of those "cars that give you a bad name" its all personal preference i like what i have for my car and it may be my cup of tea but to someone they might not like it. happpens but ya gotta keep an open mind. thanks for all the comments ima start doin a lil more research on the z24 and also research boosting cars some more cause im not that knowledgeable(as you can tell) on the subject and i love learning about it call it my addiction now haha.

Wednesday, November 26, 2008 11:22 PM
Hey scott
First thing you have to learn on Jbody.org 9 out of ten people are not friendly and F%^&&&^king worthless
but any way i will go a head post some places to get that car boosted
www.turbokits.com they a carry a company called Hahnracecraft.com they have been building turbo kits for ecos and OHV 2200. There is also a company called http://www.vulcanturbo.com/TurboKits.html they build kits for automatics for eco and they probaly help you out for 2200 too. before i would boost the car i would
i would check
compression
ignition system
fuel pump and filter
pressure check your radiator
check for leaks and where they are coming from i had a leaky water pump on my GN and o what a night mare that was, i popped a head gasket
If you rear main seal leaks if its not that bad dont worry about it.
Also how much of a budget are you on?
If your broke i would try nitrous .if you can try to find your self spare motor

right off the bat
your probaly going to need motor mounts www.turbotechracing.com i ordered brake pads and rotor great service and a sponser of Jbastard.org. the stock mounts are on the soft and the motor and not as secure as it should be.
you can get nitrous a kit there as well There is a Nirtous F.A.Q on here in the nitrous section. Since your working why not play it smart. People sell there cars here so if you drive your present car around for a while, get some money and buy some one elses . I mean paint a labor alone will run thousands. You could probaly get a fully built car you realy like already done for pennies on the dollar. Theres a orange cav on here for sale its hahn stage two rksport body kit the owner probaly needs money for hand lotion and wet napps. Also i know it sounds stupid but get AAA stupid things happen why not get a discount on jumpstarts and tire changes its 30 bucks a year. Good Luck
Wednesday, November 26, 2008 11:27 PM
http://www.j-body.org/classifieds/automobiles/
speak of the devil
see what i mean therse a car on here with hahn stage 2 for 7500 bucks the kit alone is 3500 bucks not mention labor
Thursday, November 27, 2008 9:51 PM
thanks man for all those links ive been lookin for one thats already boosted im waitin on a reply from the guy about one. i plan on gettin the hanh stage 2 should happen sometime next year. but i got a parts car comin before the year is out. i also plan on working the engine with a forged crank pistons and rods and i plan on working the head over a bit too so im sure she will hold the boost and im gonna pick up HPT and tune it. should be a fun lil project thanks for the help man

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search