5 speed issues - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
5 speed issues
Tuesday, December 21, 2010 6:11 AM
hey guys, tried some searching and can't really come up with what i need. i just picked up a 98 Z24 a couple weeks ago....guy said 'the tranny's broken so i dont want it anymore"
it drives fine, problem is, it WILL NOT go into reverse. i can wiggle jiggle tug, engine on, or off, doesnt matter reverse isnt happening....also, sometimes to get it into 1st i have to put it in 2nd, creep a few inches forward then quickly put it in 1st (which it doesnt always want to stay in...it'll pop out occasionally) also, you have to shift into 3rd slowly otherwise it will grind a little...2nd and 4th work perfect....the guy said he replaced the clutch, it was great for about 1500 miles, then 1st and reverse quit on him...is this common with these transmissions? do i need a new tranny? or maybe just new syncro's.....lookin for ideas where to start....

thanks guys.

98 Z24...just got it. still stock
99 ZR2 s10...snow/mud toy
97 GTP lots of goodies....359.6 WHP, 12.11@111 (when it dynoed 311)

Re: 5 speed issues
Tuesday, December 21, 2010 6:48 AM
Sounds like a shift fork could be bent. I'm no tranny expert however.

- Your not-so-local, untrained, uncertified, backyard mechanic. But my @!#$ runs
Tuesday, December 21, 2010 7:13 AM
Sounds like a combination of problems, a bent shift fork is a definite possibility and it definitely has bad synchros.

Yes this is very common with Isuzu transmissions.

It's fixable but it takes about 4 hours to pull the tranny and a couple hours to get it apart, so if you aren't doing it yourself labor is going to hurt.

Paying someone to install parts and bragging about it being fast, is like watching someone bang your wife and being proud to raise their kids.
Tuesday, December 21, 2010 10:19 AM
yea ill be doing it all myself... a little manual labor doesnt scare me, and im pretty mechanically inclined.....i work on cobalts and grand prix's daily at work, and have always done all my own work.....

are the synchros and fork something i can easily purchase? if so where would be the best place.... is there more than 1 model transmission my car could have? sorry for the probably noob questions LOL... all my experience is with 3800's and LSJ's......hell...anybody needs advice or help with anything in that market i can probably help LOL

thanks for your help guys

Tuesday, December 21, 2010 12:06 PM
I've ordered synchros from drivetrain.com, the stock replacement 3 piece synchros only lasted me roughly a year, and it was already grinding after about 9 months. You might want to look into the 1 piece synchro swap, it has made my Isuzu 100X better than it was.

I'm not sure if you can order just a new forks, but I've probably got one laying around if you want to buy them.

Paying someone to install parts and bragging about it being fast, is like watching someone bang your wife and being proud to raise their kids.
Tuesday, December 21, 2010 1:30 PM
awesome! thanks for all the help. i'm gonna work on getting the trans out of the car and apart, and ill let you know what i find.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search