my engine takes a lof oil - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
my engine takes a lof oil
Friday, July 24, 2020 7:52 AM
Hey guys.
I was looking for a help everywhere. My engine takes around 2.5 l of oil after every 350 miles. I was thinking to fix it, but some people telling me is not worth it, they telling me to change the whole engine. Can you please tell me how to check the engine. I need to make sure that can be fixed. I don't want to spend money and then I will be forced to change engine. Its a pain in the neck. Thank you guys.

Re: my engine takes a lof oil
Sunday, July 26, 2020 12:55 AM
Anyone know the problem ?? how to solve it?
Sunday, July 26, 2020 9:11 AM
Marek Kowal wrote:Anyone know the problem ?? how to solve it?
Not enough information given. Is it leaking oil? Is it burning oil? How many miles on the engine?
Wednesday, August 25, 2021 9:43 AM
What model year?
Which engine? 2.2L, 2.4L or other?
How many miles?
Is it leaking oil or burning oil?

The 1995-2001 (I think) 2.4L engines have an aluminum heads that can slightly warp, causing leaks along the head-gasket. Both of my 1996 2.4L engines (100k & 160k) leak a bit of oil. On the higher-mileage one, I have to add about 1/2 quart of oil every 2500 miles. According to my mechanic, fixing it would require removing the head and sending it out to be resurfaced. He said that it's not worth the expense. Better to just top-off the oil once in a while.

If you're burning oil, that's another can of worms. It could be a number of things-- all expensive to fix. Ask a mechanic to diagnose.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search