Potential vacuum leak - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Potential vacuum leak
Friday, August 07, 2020 12:50 AM
Recently I've been having some idling/acceleration issues with my 1990 z24. The acceleration issues occur when accelerating after being stopped. I hear a slight gurgle at times (like there's too much air in my fuel) and my car kind of jolts. I'm near certain this is caused by a vacuum leak. I haven't driven it since it started doing this other than around the block to help diagnose.

I haven't done a test yet but I did look around for corroded hoses and managed to find one hooked up to the cruise control unit that is cracked around where it's fit onto what I'm assuming is the output and is ready to fall apart in other places (it's the smaller hose). It's the only hose that's really corroded, the rest look good and I'm pretty sure some were replaced in the past.

Is it possible that this could be the issue with my idling and acceleration? Regardless I intend to replace the hose.

Re: Potential vacuum leak
Friday, August 07, 2020 3:48 AM
Yes, it could be the drawing air in through that line. A handy tool to have is a small air pump, either 120v or 12v, a cigar and some tubing. You can hook it up to a vacuum port and pump smoke into the engine. If there is are leaks, smoke will come out.
Very cheap but does great. Better and more importantly safer than spraying starting fluid or brake cleaner around the engine.
Here is what I use.
Attachments
Pump I Used.jpg (1600k)

Re: Potential vacuum leak
Friday, August 07, 2020 11:37 AM
Thanks for the advice! I knew about the cigar trick but never thought to put it in a pump like that, def gonna try it.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search