Thicker/copper exhaust manifold gaskets? - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Thicker/copper exhaust manifold gaskets?
Thursday, February 11, 2010 3:35 PM
I was curious does anyone know if there are thicker exhaust manifold gaskets available for the ld9? I thought I remembered seeing cometic exhaust mani gaskets but not sure. Or how about a thicker copper gasket like alot of turbo gaskets are made in. How about maybe even using 2 felpro manifold gaskets with copper spray in between like an mls head gasket??

Reason I ask is I just got a dfferent turbo mani that didnt have stress cuts and the flange is warped ever soo slightly. I could pay to have it machined flat but its barely warped, plus I was wondering if this could be a better seal option than an oem or felpro? Plus Im curious to if there even is something available or was I seeing something else and got confused.

Re: Thicker/copper exhaust manifold gaskets?
Thursday, February 11, 2010 3:35 PM
SCE?

-Aaron
www.TurboTechRacing.com

Performance Parts For Cavalier, Sunfire, Cobalts and More!!!
Thursday, February 11, 2010 3:50 PM
Step 1: Cut reliefs in between the ports.

Step 2: Buy a high quality large coarse file and flat file the flange.

Step 3: Reinstall... :-)

Buildin' n' Boostin for 08' - Alex Richards
Thursday, February 11, 2010 3:57 PM
bills izuzu performance has copper gaskets on ebay. you can get either the 96-98 for EGR or 99-02 without.

i recently bought one.

very nice, dont think its any thicker than stock though.

Thursday, February 11, 2010 6:35 PM
DO NOT try going to get a thicker copper gasket. If you decide to go copper you should keep it as thin as possible. Copper expands quite a bit, stress cycling aluminum head threads will not end well. I doubt there is a way out of your situation other than machining the flange flat.

"Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience!" -Anonymous
Friday, February 12, 2010 8:47 AM
Yea Ill prolly just have it machined flat. But just curious what do you guys think of my "mls" gasket idea? Taking 2 felpro steel gaskets and using copper spray between them? I would think this would form a better seal even if there were any imperfections

Friday, February 12, 2010 9:24 AM
I don't see any harm in trying it....but I don't think I'd give you a very high percentage of appreciable success. I think I'd hesitate a little given that you are turbo'd....would hate to see that take a turbo.

"Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience!" -Anonymous
Friday, February 12, 2010 10:59 AM
See that would be the reason I would do it though, to ensure there were no pre turbo leaks if it did form a better seal. MLS head gaskets work good for people, except for some that have had leak problems but which is why Id use permatex copper spray in between. Just like Ive seen people use thicker turbo inlet/outlet gaskets to ensure a better seal

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search