New Project, need ideas - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
New Project, need ideas
Saturday, February 13, 2010 6:40 PM
So I have finally gotten my 1999 Z24 Cavalier home from my sellers house, sounds easy but it was two weeks of chaos, lets just say don't buy a car you have import from canada when it's already in the us. Anyways my profile says what is done to it already, but here is what i would like to do and would love anyones input or ideas, i know a little about this in that but always am willing to learn.
-Spun bearing so dropping in a 99 LD9 with less miles
-Since the engine is out, planning on putting in a manual trans with less miles also, (current 170,000mi / 275,000km)
Once engine and trans are dealt with, would like to install
-AC system delete, works fine but i never use ac, more power for me
-AEM underdrive pulley
-AEM cold air intake
-Pacesetter headers w/ cat delete
-Custom bent exhaust to a magnaflow street series muffler, possibly resonator too
-Unknown brand short throw shifter
-Front and rear upper strut tower braces (already lowered on eibach sportline and kyb 4way adj)
-One piece halo headlights with H.I.D. kit
-Shave tailgate clean and fabricate led strips in for running lights and reverse
-Fiberglass interior parts / sanding and painting to match exterior, backlit gauges
-18" black rims
-Few other small details

Would love to get comments on what I am planning on doing, if you have any of these parts and how they work, or ideas on what also to do or instead. I am doing all of the work myself or with help from my master mechanic neighbor so labor is not an issue. Will be posting pics soon. Thanks

...you want a pic, then help me build something worth taking a pic of....

Re: New Project, need ideas
Sunday, February 14, 2010 10:47 AM
everything sounds good except for the "header's". u only need one. and i'm not sure i'd delete the cat, just get a high flow one, the resonator will help if you don't want the exhaust sounding raspy.

and i'm not sure about this so don't quote me, but ur underdrive pulley may not exactly help your H.I.D. set-up. do some research on that.

other than that sounds good! maybe look at upgrading at least the front brakes.

Sunday, February 14, 2010 12:44 PM
I never thought about the underdrive pulley messing with the hid set up, i will have to look into that, and i forgot to mention i have slotted rotors in but have not done anything new to the calipers except better pads.

Monday, February 15, 2010 12:11 AM
First off, go with a high flow cat instead of a cat delete. It really doesn't do much for you. Second, have you considered Secret cams or HO cams? As long as you're swapping in a new engine, you may as well do the cam swap and an LO manifold. I'd consider a set of sway bars to go with that suspension setup, too.

2010 Honda Fit LX
Monday, February 15, 2010 2:06 AM
What are your plans with the car? That will determin what advise you will get, cruise, drag, auto-x, a mix of all the above?

Monday, February 15, 2010 5:39 AM
Well it's a car to get me around, but also a car i would like to be able to take to shows, obviously not a huge winner at shows but get a little attention, and yes i would like to also drag it just to see what all of the performance mods have done. Would you recommend the eibach sway bar kit? Also, is there an advantage of taking out the a/c compressor and just shortening my belt or buying a blank pulley and bracket to put in there and keep the regular belt length?

Monday, February 15, 2010 9:51 AM
Now also what is the advantage of doing a lo manifold or a ho manifold? And how much work would i be looking at doing the cams?

Monday, February 15, 2010 12:51 PM
i hope you know how to weild and can find a tranny for your motor, i've been looking everywhere to find one for my swap in LD9, no luck yet. you know about drilling in the firewall for the manual conversion? HO cams require you to grind a little bit to allow proper space for lobing. while your motor is down if your planning on boosting i would look into forged internals unless your not breaking into the new LD9.

Monday, February 15, 2010 2:03 PM
I have found a couple of trans in my area, and it's already a stick shift so i am just swapping newer engine and trans in for my old ones, i think i am going to skip the cams and intakes and just stick with external bolt ons, but while swapping i am going to upgrade my motor and tranny mounts since i will be putting on a header (thank you blucavvy spellcheck) and using high flow cat with resonator and magnaflow muffler, what size exhaust is the best? 2.25" or 2.5", or should i just go big with a 3"

Monday, February 15, 2010 4:19 PM
2.25" should work well for you. 3" would definetely be overkill unless you are planning on boosting the newer engine...

Help support the JBO! CLICK HERE!
Wednesday, February 17, 2010 1:54 PM
An underdrive pulley should not affect hids as they use less wattage, 35 vs 55.

I miss my Sunfire, I want it back!
MMMM, HIDs
You will be missed.

Wednesday, February 17, 2010 2:35 PM
Jeremy Watkins wrote:I have found a couple of trans in my area, and it's already a stick shift so i am just swapping newer engine and trans in for my old ones, i think i am going to skip the cams and intakes and just stick with external bolt ons, but while swapping i am going to upgrade my motor and tranny mounts since i will be putting on a header (thank you blucavvy spellcheck) and using high flow cat with resonator and magnaflow muffler, what size exhaust is the best? 2.25" or 2.5", or should i just go big with a 3"

check classified i think someone is selling secret cams for like 120 shipped. hell of a deal imo

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search